Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by EmperorIng »

apatheticTurd wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:
Ohfivepro deleted his twitter post that has the unlock code for all the maps in RayCrisis; I need to find it again since I don't want to bother with the cumbersome stage randomizer.
These are the arcade Raycrisis cheats:
After inserting a credit, input any of these button combinations at the "Push Start Button to Start" screen to unlock the relevant effect. A chime will be heard if the code is inputted correctly.

Note that the effect of these codes is not saved alongside your personal ID and must be reinputted for each playthrough.

Unlocks WR-03: Up, Right, Up, Right, Down, Up, Left, Shot, Laser
Unlock all 42 maps: Up, Right, Down, Left, Shot, Shot, Shot, Laser, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb
Maximum Rank: Up, Up, Down, Down, Shot, Shot, Shot, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser
apatheticTurd wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Thanks! What does that third cheat do?
It sets the game at the maximum rank value (actually edited my post to make it clearer right as you responded) independantly of the difficulty dips. Gcmatome claims the director said it "makes for a fun survival game" when played that way.

Ha, I guess I was too quick to the draw. :P
I will let the director have his opinion; I think RayCrisis is plenty hard as-is!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

So u can only buy this on Japanese eshop for £90 approx or Japanese PS4 disc from play asia for similar?
Buts it's coming to uk in June for £35?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

Does the Switch version run at 60? Raiden 3 is putting me off getting it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

DazTM wrote:Does the Switch version run at 60? Raiden 3 is putting me off getting it.
As far as I can tell, yes. Switch version of Ray'z collection runs great.
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

BrianC wrote:
DazTM wrote:Does the Switch version run at 60? Raiden 3 is putting me off getting it.
As far as I can tell, yes. Switch version of Ray'z collection runs great.
That’s good to hear. Thanks.
DenimDemon

Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by DenimDemon »

Runs great.Raystorm looks awesome on the Oled as well. And the input level is insane, feels incredible to control.

My issue with this release has more to do with the extras. No training mode, no arcade challenges (I know it’s not Shootriggers, but still)…don’t know why but was hoping the HD -Neo meant some texture retouch a la 360 version ( RGray looks so beautiful there) or some kind of Arrange…no console Extra Mode and no bonus ship…wide screen mode just for the kicks could be fun as well…

Besides that, where it matters, it’s M2 at its best. Really the input delay on switch is pretty solid. Really impressive.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The only thing I notice is a little bit of audio/music stuttering during RayCrisis, noticeably during moments of intense slowdown, which is the game I've spent far and away the most time with (trying desperately for that 1cc). At first I thought it was only in handheld mode but it happens docked too. I hope it's eventually patched.

Gameplay-wise it's as smooth as you can hope on your soytendo switch.

I think I've put 7 or more hours into RayCrisis alone this weekend. A game that i haven't 1cc'd in the almost ten years of having the game... except now is the only time I have actually had decent practice tools to get better instead of grinding full runs like a clueless grabber-dad. :P So now I've made it to the TLB, Infinity, three or four times (which I've never done). The game is still making me rage with cheap deaths so I hope I can clear soon for my sanity's sake.

Pretty amazing to me as well is seeing how in the past two weeks or so there have been like 7 or more clears of RayStorm, a game that up until now I considered mostly impossible (only slight exaggeration). Certainly almost no one in the west tried to attempt it. I am enjoying/hoping for a minor critical reevaluation in the western scene of the Ray sequels as they are both good in their own right. Crisis especially, it's such a unique game.

I've discovered a lot more mechanically about Crisis; I will have to update my old ST thread (and maybe work on a Wiki article for posterity).
CRP

Post by CRP »

Steven wrote: Is SLG actually shipping this stuff this year or will you have to wait until 2025 for them to actually ship it?
Latest update from slg says june. includes release day patch and possibly any more patches from m2 before the carts are made. I gladly wait 4 months extra and have as many patches as possible on cart.
Limited Edition: Shipping starts June 2023
Collector’s Edition: Shipping starts June 2023
Pixel Frame Special Edition: Shipping starts June 2023

SLG version will include patches of retail version on game card, therefore being released later.
Last Edit: 21 March 2023
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

One thing to note is that as of now RayStorm may randomly freeze and crash during gameplay, forcing a reset. I have found that out while practicing full runs/save state practice, as it has happened a few times. Apparently M2 is aware of the issue if nothing else, though it is a little disappointing (flashbacks of RayCrisis on mame having a 40% or more chance of crashing during the final boss!).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm. Is that on Switch? Was hitting PS4 Raystorm pretty hard until GNG Resurrection stole me away like an atrociously hairy-legged princess. Was like SMOOVE LIKE BUTTAH altogether, despite wanking those savestates pretty vigorously!

Anyway, it's M2, they'll fix it. They fix everything.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

CRP wrote:
Steven wrote: Is SLG actually shipping this stuff this year or will you have to wait until 2025 for them to actually ship it?
Latest update from slg says june. includes release day patch and possibly any more patches from m2 before the carts are made. I gladly wait 4 months extra and have as many patches as possible on cart.

SLG version will include patches of retail version on game card, therefore being released later.
They’ve starting shipping DRAINUS, just got their email today. June for Rayz seems realistic, not in a rush anymore since I doubled dip lol.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

CRP wrote:Latest update from slg says june. includes release day patch and possibly any more patches from m2 before the carts are made. I gladly wait 4 months extra and have as many patches as possible on cart.

Oh sweet. I had just looked on Monday when the site still said that the release schedule would be firmed up after the Japanese release. Always happy to have more patches on card/disc, since part of the point of buying physical media is trying to reasonably future-proof games for the post-apocalypse when humanity has entered a new dark age and all the servers are down. The only bad part about the wait is not being able to jump right into the present love-fest, but reading all the positive reports definitely validates the decision to nab a copy (having not had much experience with the "Ray'z" series before) and has me looking forward to when it eventually arrives.

As much shit as SLG gets for their shipping times (which was rightfully deserved in 2020-21--I still remember the multiple stealth delays of Cotton Reboot, and plenty of people waited much longer on Darius or Turrican shenanigans), I feel like they've gotten a lot better in terms of both turnaround and clarity on their website. I can't back this up empirically but I feel like Cotton Fantasy and Rolling Gunner may have actually shipped a little before I expected them to (though I don't remember if they were bumped once before) and the granularity in estimated shipping dates and updates is much better than, say, LRG's rough "6-8 months" timeframe which only gets updated to "Q2 2023" in the last half of March or whatever (and then punted out accordingly).
DenimDemon wrote:They’ve starting shipping DRAINUS, just got their email today. June for Rayz seems realistic, not in a rush anymore since I doubled dip lol.
Didn't that go up about the same time as Dezatopia/Mecha Ritz? That's currently slotted for the end of April, so if DRAINUS is shipping, maybe it will be roughly on schedule too, and all the way down to Ray'z (though realistically, these are probably all independent of each other in terms of how fast they get produced, packaged, and sent out).
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

Hi guys, Im back from the dead. I need a help with a trophy.

Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!

Destroy each part of the AREA 3 boss at least once in RAYFORCE. Quick save/load allowed. Option settings allowed. 2P co-op allowed. Continues allowed. Any difficulty.

No matter what I do, i can't get this trophy! Can i get some help?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Hmm, I noticed ININ per their usual fashion has put their own listing for the NA market on Amazon...but strangely their release lacks Rayforce

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWT17B5D/?psc=1

Wonder if there's some sort of legal reason here because just ripping a whole game from the set seems strange
CRP

Post by CRP »

drunkninja24 wrote:Hmm, I noticed ININ per their usual fashion has put their own listing for the NA market on Amazon...but strangely their release lacks Rayforce

Wonder if there's some sort of legal reason here because just ripping a whole game from the set seems strange
They did the same thing with G-Darius HD, Space Invaders collection, wonderboy so they follow the same pattern. If you want all games western release on cart then SLG. But i presume that the digital version include ray'z at some point.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

drunkninja24 wrote:Hmm, I noticed ININ per their usual fashion has put their own listing for the NA market on Amazon...but strangely their release lacks Rayforce

Might be releasing RayForce separately as the premier game in the trilogy.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

CRP wrote:

They did the same thing with G-Darius HD
Was there another limited or Japanese G-Darius HD release with more content? I only grabbed the ININ one off of Amazon and thought that was the only version. Then again, I wasn't following the release that closely, either.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Geeze, this sucks. A friend was over playing my Japanese copy of Ray'z and was planning on buying the international release when it comes out, but she doesn't want to buy two halves of one collection. She might just end up buying the Japanese eshop version. I guess theres a reason why Inin keep splitting stuff up like this but it's so annoying.
Warp_Rattler wrote:Was there another limited or Japanese G-Darius HD release with more content? I only grabbed the ININ one off of Amazon and thought that was the only version. Then again, I wasn't following the release that closely, either.
In Japan, G-Darius HD and Darius AC EX+ were sold together as Darius: Cozmic Revelation. Inin's international release split them up into two separate games.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

As SLG release also had both games…
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I guess it's to put something out there that's cheaper, highlights the titles with most popular appeal and thus is friendly to the more casual audience who don't see value in old re-releases. They must sell, or they'd stop doing it - they're also usually transparent about it from the beginning (whole package is digital, interim cut down physical release and full physical release as a limited batch), except for Darius Cozmic Revelation getting split up... but given the especially weird release soup of Darius collections that's probably on Taito.

Rayforce being omitted makes a twisted sort of sense too, because the other two had wide releases in the West (and Raystorm a re-release). Rayforce gets a Saturn port under a weird name, fair to say there's not much casual nostalgia for it.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ Can't help but think that regional release rights are at play here. SLG is in the UK, so they may technically only have a deal for EU territories (though they ship WW). This Inin release then has NA rights to two titles, but can't have them all since City Connection has NA rights to Layer Section with their S-Tribute release.

Total speculation, but it feels right.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
doodledude

Post by doodledude »

Jonpachi wrote:^ Can't help but think that regional release rights are at play here. SLG is in the UK, so they may technically only have a deal for EU territories (though they ship WW). This Inin release then has NA rights to two titles, but can't have them all since City Connection has NA rights to Layer Section with their S-Tribute release.

Total speculation, but it feels right.
Pretty sure SLG are in Germany or France
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ah ok, but still EU rights and permissions are what they go after. They go through Sony/Nintendo Europe, and deal with PEGI, etc.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah I recently bought something from SLG an it shipped from Germany.
cfx

Post by cfx »

SLG and Inin are two imprints of the same company, United Games Entertainment GmbH, based in Germany.

They don't hide this fact:
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/pages/imprint
https://www.iningames.com/imprint/

It's likely the only reason they do this is to keep the exclusivity aspect of the SLG versions.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It's a very minor thing, but I like that SLG doesn't muck up the boot sequence with their own branding. At least on the few games of theirs I've played. It used to be almost a rule that western publishers of Japanese games would need to put a really ugly and unskippable animated logo on startup that doesn't gel with the style of the game or GUI at all.

Again really not a big deal although I don't think anyone will ever miss the obnoxious Working Designs "SPAZ" logo when booting up Raystorm. And yes I know someone will chime in to say they liked it, but that could only be pure Stockholm syndrome lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:Again really not a big deal although I don't think anyone will ever miss the obnoxious Working Designs "SPAZ" logo when booting up Raystorm. And yes I know someone will chime in to say they liked it, but that could only be pure Stockholm syndrome lol
That thing took me decades to finally disassociate from the NTSCU PS1 port. :lol: That "hehehehehe - SPAYAZZ" *JIZZ SLAP* is a bit incongruous with a rather stately STG.

01. ORIGIN / Throw A Coin ~ Standby
02. Cyclotron ~ Machine Select
03. Jizz Slap Chuckle ~ SPAZ Jingle

It's a shame, as it's otherwise a beautifully-presented release... foil-embossed manual, full-colour discs, etc. Was MIRIN for old times' sake the other day. The WIN BIG BUXXX YALLL blurb kinda dates it but it's at least done in the spirit of classic AC gaming, not jokes at the expense of the neurologically unfortunate. Image
Last edited by BIL on Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Did Wrecking Designs do anything weird to the PS1 version? I imagine they ruined it in some way just like they always did with everything they defiled.

Edit: oh fuck, now that I think about it again, isn't that the one they made even more insanely difficult than it already is? I think it is!
Last edited by Steven on Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

They fucked around with the default settings, IIRC... copy-paster mentioned it the other day. As far as the game mechanics, stage designs etc, IIRC it was left unmolested. Although it's been a minute, for all I know they stapled on a 1,000,000pt multiplier for Hyper Lockons. Image

What a buncha maroons, was ol' WD. Impossible not to feel some fondness for the unmistakable passion project angle, but they had boundary issues. :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Okay. I know there is at least one NA release of some shooting game on either PS1 or Saturn that is super difficult compared to the arcade and Japanese consumer versions and I was pretty sure it was this one for some reason.