Bullet Soul and Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst coming to Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
miwa

Post by miwa »

Coming to Switch on September 9th, Japan will also be receiving a physical edition.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/bullet- ... eptember-9
Sima Tuna

Re: Bullet Soul and Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst coming to Sw

Post by Sima Tuna »

I think this game is kinda underrated. Assuming you play altered mode. I don't remember if it's called burst mode or infinite burst or what. It's the version 2.0 mode thingy they added, because the vanilla mode was too jank and boring. That alternate mode is pretty cool. Lots of score chasing and very active points collecting.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Cool, at least having a physical version of both games in one cart is a big plus. (Considering the secondhand market for both X360 Bullet Soul games physically are going for insane prices lately.) Also...
Sima Tuna wrote:I think this game is kinda underrated. Assuming you play altered mode. I don't remember if it's called burst mode or infinite burst or what. It's the version 2.0 mode thingy they added, because the vanilla mode was too jank and boring. That alternate mode is pretty cool. Lots of score chasing and very active points collecting.
Yeah, at best, just play 2.0 mode on the vanilla version, as its much better with some altered stuff, playing the base vanilla mode is rough. As for Infinite Burst, that version is also good too (especially with the many bonus points you get in that compared in vanilla).
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Bumping, considering, it ain't MAGES/5pb without the usual delay (date change) in their game releases. The Switch release has now been pushed back to 9/29/22 for all regions (was originally 9/9/22 for the overseas digital release), so that both the Double Soul physical release (import) and the digital releases of both games launch simultaneously worldwide.

Conent's of the physical Double Soul pack.

There are also shop exclusive bonuses if ordered from Amazon JP (A4 size Clear File), Animate (B2 size Multi Cloth), and AmiAmi (Loop - Acrylic Keychain/Holder).
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Kinda wish they had just a standard version of the physical. I don't need all the extras, just the game.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Infinite Burst on 360 was big box only as well, packaged with some random magazine (just the Infinite Burst version, the original you could get in a standard edition).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Kinda wish they had just a standard version of the physical. I don't need all the extras, just the game.
Would be nice, but good luck if anyone's gonna sell the game itself without the extras seperately for the Switch physical.
Jeneki wrote:Infinite Burst on 360 was big box only as well, packaged with some random magazine (just the Infinite Burst version, the original you could get in a standard edition).
Actually, you could get X360 Infinite Burst itself as a standard release, but since then, its going for insane triple digit prices in the secondary market, both the regular and LE editions. (Even the vanilla version as well.) Considering both the X360 versions of the vanilla and IB versions were mostly made in lower print runs. And will more than likely be the case in due time with the Double Soul pack. (Unless otherwise noted.)
jehu

Post by jehu »

What is the consensus on the quality of these games?

I missed them when they came out and never went back. They aren't talked about a lot, and I've mostly seen complaints about the easy difficulty + the soul mechanic making many bullet patterns trivial.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I really enjoyed the Burst/2nd revisions of the game. The original game is bad. It's one of those shmups where you can sit in the middle of the screen, spam shot and everything dies. But the updates change the game. It gains a heavy focus on Dangun Feveron-like scoring and dramatically reduces the amount of player resources. The result is a very "active" shmup where you can constantly risking movement into dangerous areas to collect score items in time.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Jeneki wrote:Infinite Burst on 360 was big box only as well, packaged with some random magazine (just the Infinite Burst version, the original you could get in a standard edition).
Actually, you could get X360 Infinite Burst itself as a standard release, but since then, its going for insane triple digit prices in the secondary market, both the regular and LE editions. (Even the vanilla version as well.) Considering both the X360 versions of the vanilla and IB versions were mostly made in lower print runs. And will more than likely be the case in due time with the Double Soul pack. (Unless otherwise noted.)
Just wanted to confirm what NeoStrayCat said about IB 360. I have the standard edition (two of them, on accident).
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

prophetic wrote:Just wanted to confirm what NeoStrayCat said about IB 360. I have the standard edition (two of them, on accident).
Nice. Sorry, I never saw this back in the day. What region is it? Did you get it new or used?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Jeneki wrote:
prophetic wrote:Just wanted to confirm what NeoStrayCat said about IB 360. I have the standard edition (two of them, on accident).
Nice. Sorry, I never saw this back in the day. What region is it? Did you get it new or used?
JP imports. Both new.

The first was preordered on Play Asia 5/2014 a couple weeks before release, $62.99 with shipping included.

The second was ordered on NCSX by a complete brain fart on 6/2016, for $63.69 with shipping included.
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

From what I've seen this has been delayed (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... asing-fall). I missed to buy this game on my JP XBOX360 long time ago and then the physical copy became very expensive and I stopped caring. This release is just perfect for me.

I am from Germany and I wanted to buy the physical double soul edition which would contain both games. What would be the best approach?

- Do I buy from a shop like NinNin or PlayAsia or can I order directly from Amazon.jp from Germany?
- Do I get the amazon exclusives if I order through NinNin or Playasia?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

ancestral-knowledge wrote:From what I've seen this has been delayed (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... asing-fall). I missed to buy this game on my JP XBOX360 long time ago and then the physical copy became very expensive and I stopped caring. This release is just perfect for me.

I am from Germany and I wanted to buy the physical double soul edition which would contain both games. What would be the best approach?

- Do I buy from a shop like NinNin or PlayAsia or can I order directly from Amazon.jp from Germany?
I'm not sure if Amazon JP will ship directly the game through other regions outside Japan (without having to resort to a proxy service), though I guess that depends on the title. For me, I'm using Play-Asia.

As for shop exclusive items, they tend to be exactly that, shop exclusive. So if you want the bonus item(s), say, like the one at Amazon you mentioned, you have to order from Amazon JP.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

ancestral-knowledge wrote:From what I've seen this has been delayed (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... asing-fall). I missed to buy this game on my JP XBOX360 long time ago and then the physical copy became very expensive and I stopped caring. This release is just perfect for me.

Amazon.JP is a great option because they don't collect taxes at your door and everything is paid upfront. Shipping also shouldn't be too expensive. I've stopped ordering entirely from PlayAsia and NinNin after Amazon.jp opened up to international orders. They seem to always be the best/cheapest option.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Untitled1 wrote:

Amazon.JP is a great option because they don't collect taxes at your door and everything is paid upfront. Shipping also shouldn't be too expensive. I've stopped ordering entirely from PlayAsia and NinNin after Amazon.jp opened up to international orders. They seem to always be the best/cheapest option.
Amazon Japan still won't ship to Australia.
I just use Play Asia rather than mess around with a forwarding service.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

Nugs wrote:
Untitled1 wrote:

Amazon Japan still won't ship to Australia.
I just use Play Asia rather than mess around with a forwarding service.
that's absolutely insane considering Australia's proximity to Japan.

I'm in Canada and they get everything to me in 3 days or less. I can't believe it. Nin-Nin and playasia would take weeks to deliver.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Untitled1 wrote: that's absolutely insane considering Australia's proximity to Japan.

I'm in Canada and they get everything to me in 3 days or less. I can't believe it. Nin-Nin and playasia would take weeks to deliver.
I don't find Playasia shipping bad, but my expectations are pretty low.
Also if you are on the West Coast of Canada then you are actually closer to Japan than me.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

central Canada here, and it goes through the US to get to me, but it's just unreasonably fast once it ships. and good cost-wise, so I've definitely been ordering from amazon JP whenever possible. I'm a little surprised about Australia, but considering they send via DHL I would definitely be surprised if they didn't ship to Germany
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

Nugs wrote:
Untitled1 wrote: that's absolutely insane considering Australia's proximity to Japan.

I don't find Playasia shipping bad, but my expectations are pretty low.
Also if you are on the West Coast of Canada then you are actually closer to Japan than me.
I'm on the east coast, the 3 day shipping is pretty unbelievable. Plus amazon.JP usually comes with pre-order bonuses, be it clear files, keychains, or whatever. it all goes into the junk drawer at the end of the day but hey, it's nice to get a little something extra. :lol:

PlayAsia, i will give them credit for always packaging orders properly. never had a single thing come from them that wasn't in impeccable condition.

Amazon JP is still amazon at the end of the day, and that comes with the piss-poor quality control on shipping. nothing like getting a package sent 13,000km in a flimsy bubble mailer.... Amazon just doesn't care.

Anyways, back on topic... this bullet soul double pack looks absolutely delicious. Can't wait!
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

Thank you very much everyone!
I decided to order from Amazon.jp this time and the order will come with a clear file.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Untitled1 wrote:Amazon JP is still amazon at the end of the day, and that comes with the piss-poor quality control on shipping. nothing like getting a package sent 13,000km in a flimsy bubble mailer.... Amazon just doesn't care.
Gonna have to disagree here. Maybe in some cases that's true, but my experience with Amazon.jp is that they do a MUCH better job of packaging than I have ever seen from Amazon US. For example, I bought the Switch versions of both of the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases from Amazon.jp - and they did an amazing job of packaging the game and the bonus mini-magazine and extra materials, both secured to an additional piece of cardboard, shrink wrapped, and secured to the inside of the shipping box to prevent movement during shipping. Came in absolutely flawless condition, and I was impressed. I seem to recall the Switch Aleste Collection (the big special edition one with Game Gear mini) I bought from Amazon.jp was also packed really well to prevent damage.

I've also bought a lot of stuff from Play-Asia over the years, and they consistently package stuff well and I receive it undamaged.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

hamfighterx wrote:
Untitled1 wrote:Amazon JP is still amazon at the end of the day, and that comes with the piss-poor quality control on shipping. nothing like getting a package sent 13,000km in a flimsy bubble mailer.... Amazon just doesn't care.
Gonna have to disagree here. Maybe in some cases that's true, but my experience with Amazon.jp is that they do a MUCH better job of packaging than I have ever seen from Amazon US. For example, I bought the Switch versions of both of the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases from Amazon.jp - and they did an amazing job of packaging the game and the bonus mini-magazine and extra materials, both secured to an additional piece of cardboard, shrink wrapped, and secured to the inside of the shipping box to prevent movement during shipping. Came in absolutely flawless condition, and I was impressed. I seem to recall the Switch Aleste Collection (the big special edition one with Game Gear mini) I bought from Amazon.jp was also packed really well to prevent damage.

I've also bought a lot of stuff from Play-Asia over the years, and they consistently package stuff well and I receive it undamaged.
Same. I've had the utmost care taken from Amazon Japan for everything I've ordered.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I've had orders with books and other flexible or larger items come with the cardboard inside the mailer, but my most recent order of 4 regular games were just put inside a bubble mailer as-is. that said, everything has always arrived flawlessly (one game had its disc come loose from the tray because one tray clip was damaged, manufacturing defect?)

it seems better than amazon Canada who often just throws things into an oversized box with not enough padding inside
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

pulsemod wrote:I've had orders with books and other flexible or larger items come with the cardboard inside the mailer, but my most recent order of 4 regular games were just put inside a bubble mailer as-is. that said, everything has always arrived flawlessly (one game had its disc come loose from the tray because one tray clip was damaged, manufacturing defect?)

it seems better than amazon Canada who often just throws things into an oversized box with not enough padding inside
been happening more and more frequently with my amazon.jp orders. Just recently had the jewel case on my silent hill 2 soundtrack cd order smashed up, in placed loosely in a bubble mailer.

all depends on the person packing the order i guess.

the real nightmare is returning something to amazon.jp... :lol:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Lo behold, checked out the USA region Switch eShop site on my OLED Switch setup today at 9:14am PST 9/29/2022 and both Bullet Soul & Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst are up and running as digital downloads only -- both are priced at a modest $14.00 usd each and qualifies as a "insta-buy", indeed. It's awesome to finally be able to play both BS stgs on the fine Switch handheld (especially the OLED variant setup compared to the old-school LCD-based 1st-gen Switch console setup).

It's been mentioned on Youtube that the OLED Switch console uses a Samsung manufactured OLED display from the get-go. Too bad Nintendo didn't go with an OLED screen setup when the 1st-gen Switch was released at retail back in March of 2017 stateside (akin to how Sony used an OLED screen setup with it's 1st-gen Vita handheld setup and used a cheaper LCD-based screen setup with it's 2nd-gen Vita handheld setup instead to cut down on manufacturing costs...go figure). Better later than never, right?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

@PC Engine Fan X!
I assume it plays well similarly to the other ports?

But yeah, other than waiting on lag tests, I was thinking the $14 prices on both of those digitally were just a launch sale (considering the official English site lists them both as $20 each, lol), but it isn't, lol. Its just $1 cheaper than the other ports normally (other than Steam sales every now and then). For now, I'm waiting on the physical Double Soul pack that is now starting to ship from Play-Asia, though its going to be a while before it gets delivered, cause, regular shipping and all, lol.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Take a shot every time you see "OLED" mentioned above.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't see much reason to buy the original Bullet Soul when Infinite Burst is superior in all respects.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

How’s the Switch port?