Ketsui Deathtiny and Garegga rev.2016 on PS5

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Costra

Ketsui Deathtiny and Garegga rev.2016 on PS5

Post by Costra »

Hello. I didnt make the proper test, but am i the only one who have the feeling that the games play worse and more laggy on PS5? Is there a way to fix this?
XtraSmiley

Re: Ketsui Deathtiny and Garegga rev.2016 on PS5

Post by XtraSmiley »

They seem the same to me, can you give an example?

Is it possible your PS5 and TV are not set up correctly?
Costra

Post by Costra »

XtraSmiley wrote:They seem the same to me, can you give an example?

Is it possible your PS5 and TV are not set up correctly?
The tv is the same as i was using to play garegga on ps4 so that cant be an issue. Could be the PS5 though, i didnt change anything in the settings besides the "performance" mode but i dont think that has any effect over those games.
Unfortunately i cant give you an example because i cannot make any test, but it seems that im not the only one experiencing this, i found another guy in discord with the same issue.
It is playable though, is not that big of a deal, just maybe 1 frame more compared to play it on ps4, but still annoying.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

One other thing to check in the console settings: output resolution. Make sure it matches your TVs native resolution. Also re-check after you launch the game; verify through your TV that it's receiving the correct resolution.

A while back I had an issue with games that flat-out ignore the console settings and only output at a specific resolution. Would be a shame if PS5 inherited this glitch, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Another possible issue is the HDR settings on the PS5. I wonder if that can add lag, even if the game doesn't use HDR, or maybe your TV is forcing it on, or maybe it's on in the PS5 settings and your TV doesn't use it.

I've tried them both on PS4 and PS5 and I cannot tell a difference, but another idea, what controller are you using? Maybe the PS5 DS controller has added lag?

I have a wired joystick.
Costra

Post by Costra »

XtraSmiley wrote:Another possible issue is the HDR settings on the PS5. I wonder if that can add lag, even if the game doesn't use HDR, or maybe your TV is forcing it on, or maybe it's on in the PS5 settings and your TV doesn't use it.

I've tried them both on PS4 and PS5 and I cannot tell a difference, but another idea, what controller are you using? Maybe the PS5 DS controller has added lag?

I have a wired joystick.
Nah i play on an old 1080p 144hz benq gaming monitor. The controller could be but i have it set on "cable" over bluetooth. I have to try with wired joustick touhh.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I remember when Guilty Gear Strive came out, there were some discrepancies on PS4 & PS5 with lag. So this kinda thing has precedent.

IIRC, the PS4 version on a PS4 had the lowest input lag; followed by the PS4 version on a PS5; with the made-for PS5 version being the worst performer.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Costra

Post by Costra »

BurlyHeart wrote:I remember when Guilty Gear Strive came out, there were some discrepancies on PS4 & PS5 with lag. So this kinda thing has precedent.

IIRC, the PS4 version on a PS4 had the lowest input lag; followed by the PS4 version on a PS5; with the made-for PS5 version being the worst performer.
It will be nice to make a test but i never made and im not sure i have the tools and the technical knowledge to do.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

Costra wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:Another possible issue is the HDR settings on the PS5. I wonder if that can add lag, even if the game doesn't use HDR, or maybe your TV is forcing it on, or maybe it's on in the PS5 settings and your TV doesn't use it.

I have a wired joystick.
Nah i play on an old 1080p 144hz benq gaming monitor. The controller could be but i have it set on "cable" over bluetooth. I have to try with wired joustick touhh.
On the PS4 wireless was usually regarded as faster than wired, though according to this thread the differences on PS5 are tiny, so I doubt you're going to feel much benefit switching to wireless

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/m ... omparison/

It would be interesting so see the differences if someone did a proper PS4 vs PS5 test, but I've played both on the PS5 and they both feel very responsive to me.
heli

Post by heli »

Same TV ?