IBARA - Trying to track down high score players (long shot)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
thedirtyscreech

IBARA - Trying to track down high score players (long shot)

Post by thedirtyscreech »

I recently bought an Ibara PCB (with artwork, stand up, moves list, etc.) from an Aussie. He got his PCB from Japan at some point many years ago. The scores are higher than the top scores on this forum for each of the three categories: https://imgur.com/a/1OiBsH2

Many of the initials are just "cav" which is default if you let it time out instead of entering initials. But there are a few on this list that I'm trying to track down. I haven't had any luck on my own yet, but thought maybe people here had better search ideas than what I've been doing. "GNL" owns the extended list. Both "K.H" and "©©©" appear on the normal mode list.

The players are likely all Japanese. KH is probably someone's actual initials (though that initial combination is likely extremely common in Japan), so I'm trying to find if there's a "K.H" or "KH" on other score lists. "GNL" could be initials or could be a handle. Archer and ACR (current normal/Bond WR holder) comes to mind where Archer is a handle and his initials are based on the handle.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.
MidnightWolf

Re: IBARA - Trying to track down high score players (long sh

Post by MidnightWolf »

This is really creepy, and probably something you should NOT be doing.

Phone calls or emails along the lines of "Hey, I tracked you down from your hi-score initials posted on an arcade machine a few years ago" is not going to end well.

Stop stalking people before you get arrested or worse. :p
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

MidnightWolf wrote:Stop stalking people before you get arrested or worse. :p
He's just asking if the forum recognizes any players based on the initials. He's not literally asking us to dox them, and passing along someone's Twitter handle or Youtube account is not akin to giving out their personal cell phone number. Calm down, dude.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Gamers are trully oppressed, they can't even sell pcbs without being stalked
gray117

Post by gray117 »

MidnightWolf wrote:This is really creepy, and probably something you should NOT be doing.

Phone calls or emails along the lines of "Hey, I tracked you down from your hi-score initials posted on an arcade machine a few years ago" is not going to end well.

? ... I'm sure he's not going to be posting their home address. You put your name on a high score table at an arcade - where's the expectation of privacy? This isn't done with the intent to harass/menace, I'm sure if he was asked not to put a (nick)name up he would respect that. You can't get in trouble for that.

I think this is pretty cool. If anything it's a kind of touching nod to a community of niche genre players... Now, sure, the chances of success are pretty low, but if you do succeed; well done.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

MidnightWolf wrote:This is really creepy, and probably something you should NOT be doing.

Relax grandma.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I usually like sending pics back of the scores I beat/knocked off the board to show it's in good hands
but those... uhhhh, might be a little difficult to achieve
a creature... half solid half gas