PSYKIO SHOOTING LIBRARY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: PSYKIO SHOOTING LIBRARY

Post by BIL »

Blimey I was a bit sauced last night - I bought controversial PS4 Dragon Blaze to go with my time-tested PS2 disc :shock: But, as noted, it was dirt cheap and I did NOT get hit with the HIV Image

Hm. Well, first of all, Sonia is front-and-center on the dash with her cute little blush and lovely boobs Image but the loading image cuts to boring old glowering Dennis Quaid, so immediate points docked there. Good job I kept that PS2 Psikyo Shooting Series flyer, I suppose!

Moving on, seems like there are no practice options what-so-ever. And no savestates what-so-ever, either. I'm not fussed about the former, but the latter is a cruel thing for starter players, DB being balls-hard and balls-technical. My musty Ian 1ALL is but a distant memory, so I got caned hard, as expected! Forget anything like stage ordering, either. :/

The input response, with a quick comparison to ShotTriggers Mahou Daisakusen and ACA Thunder Dragon 2 (using Ian/Miyamoto/2P aka "The Fast Ships" in each), is actually not too bad. While not as pinprick-sharp as M2's work, nor as comfortably airtight as Hamster's, it's not at the red flag threshold where I'd hesitate to even try learning the game.

I'd like to hear from a properly-qualified player like Jaimers on the input response. For now, I'd file it just ahead of CAS1 - quite playable. I'm on a Bluetooth DS4 with BenQ low-latency HDMI monitor, and planning to sort out a Brook UFB stick shortly. I'd be interested to revisit this and Capcom Arcade Stadium, then, hoping it might flatten out that last bit of perceptible input delay (that monitor is by no means cutting-edge either, though it most definitely does M2/Hamster and other appropriately-responsive works well).

As noted though, for practice modes and other features, this is barren. You're looking at oldschool superplay viewing, self-recording, RQ threads and the like. Might not be the worst thing? ;3 Nah, even one savestate - an unimaginable luxury for we old codgers Image - would've made all the difference there. Obviously, supplementing with MAME practice is an option, if you prefer recording runs+scores on official Hard Ports.

No idea how PCB-accurate it is - given the Strikers 1945 II and Gunbird 2 fiascos (PS1/PS2 discs respectively?), I'm assuming it's based on the PS2 port - which was always well-regarded, though I can't remember any hardcore 1:1 showdowns.

TLDR: Feature-barren, but reasonably responsive. Might work for vets wanting a quick n' dirty port, although anyone balls-out enough to master DB probably has a PCB or zero-latency MAME setup. Psikyo remain the under-served third men of the 90s/2000s STG triple crown.
heli

Post by heli »

Zero Gunner looking very nice in HD, now i see a reason to buy a PS5+4K, they could have sold me zero gunner on 1 disc.
There is online ranking also in the menu, havent checkt it out further.
I got a plastified-paper thingie that is nice and a post card.
6 games in 1 i am happy with this buy, no lag, all smooth.
Havent tested all games yet.

If M2 added same and tiger 1 disc i still would have doubts, this one have zero gunner, insta buy, they have transformer robots.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The lack of any options or save-states is damning, but at $30 a pop for these collections they sit right at the "Subway sandwich when everything else is closed on a Sunday" level of acceptability. With the deal on shipping going on right now at Play-Asia, they also incur no shipping fees if you're willing to wait for Economy (and those two weeks are weeks I can and will wait for this one).

The only Zero-Div collection I bought was the one with Strikers III and Zero Gunner 2, the former for the sake of having a "complete" Strikers collection on console, and the latter for the sick joy of seeing the bizarre zombified corpse of a formerly great arcade/Dreamcast game shamble out from my Switch.

CC's Deathsmiles work was B+, and as such, I approach this one with curious optimism. If nothing more, I can go through my yearly ritual of reminding myself I'm not very good at Psikyo games despite how formative they were in my love of the genre.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
heli

Post by heli »

Indeed Strikers 3 and Zero Gunner 2.
You can see Strikers 3 is the same enemys as Zero Gunner 2.

I dont use save states, and should use it in garegga to practice.
I used it to unlock all medals to see all endings.
heli

Post by heli »

I have shocking framerates in the train stage, asian slum and final stage, the 3D is bad made i guess.
That is why they dont sell seperate zero gunner 2.

I have also with Raiden4 x mikado shocking framerates.
Maybe my PS4 need cleanup inside ?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

heli wrote:I have shocking framerates in the train stage, asian slum and final stage, the 3D is bad made i guess.
That is why they dont sell seperate zero gunner 2.
Zero Gunner 2- listing on PSN
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

So this is "for-reals" ZG2, and not the remade one that was on Switch from ZeroDiv?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The title has the minus sign after it, so probably the latter.
heli

Post by heli »

This is about the worse game ever : sol divide.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

heli wrote:This is about the worse game ever : sol divide.
It's... not great. However, one thing I learned recently is that the melee attacks function much more like a fighting game than I had previously known. If you delay your inputs, and play around with timing, there's more complexity to it (and much more powerful attacks to be had) than it first appears. I don't know if a comprehensive "moves list" exists however. Would love to see such a thing if it's out there.
heli

Post by heli »

There is a free medal you earn with not defeating any enemy for a whole stage.
heli

Post by heli »

The update dont fix the 3D stutter in ZG2-
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Did people really just ignore the hell out of these collections because of how bad the Switch ports were? I can at least attest that they all run so much better on PS4 than the Switch ports and have no noticeable input lag with a wired controller/stick on my end. Sol Divide still sucks shit and Zero Gunner 2 is as unimpresive as ever, but the Strikers games and Dragon Blaze are great and actually playable/1cc-able on these versions. Not to mention, buying the disc with all 6 games ends up being literally half the price of buying the digital versions of all 6 games. This is easily the best way to play any of these games at home, even if there's no crazy M2-style training modes and extras (I don't know why that has become an expectation now anyway, when a lot of shmups that get released don't have it)
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:38 am Did people really just ignore the hell out of these collections because of how bad the Switch ports were? I can at least attest that they all run so much better on PS4 than the Switch ports and have no noticeable input lag with a wired controller/stick on my end. Sol Divide still sucks shit and Zero Gunner 2 is as unimpresive as ever, but the Strikers games and Dragon Blaze are great and actually playable/1cc-able on these versions. Not to mention, buying the disc with all 6 games ends up being literally half the price of buying the digital versions of all 6 games. This is easily the best way to play any of these games at home, even if there's no crazy M2-style training modes and extras (I don't know why that has become an expectation now anyway, when a lot of shmups that get released don't have it)
For Playstation the lag is less, and for some reason, is more responsive with the analog stick than the D-Pad (personal impression).
The lack of training mode hurts, but Psikyo games are usually shorter and tighter than other SHMUPS, with 15mins you can reach Stage 8 in Strikers 1945 II for example.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

You can say a lot of things about Zero Gunner 2 but that it always was unimpressive? It even was the first STG which somehow justified 3D graphics.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:17 pm You can say a lot of things about Zero Gunner 2 but that it always was unimpressive? It even was the first STG which somehow justified 3D graphics.
Zero Gunner 2- isn't even close to the quality of the original.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I was replying to this, though:
Sol Divide still sucks shit and Zero Gunner 2 is as unimpresive as ever
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BrianC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:23 pm
Bassa-Bassa wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:17 pm You can say a lot of things about Zero Gunner 2 but that it always was unimpressive? It even was the first STG which somehow justified 3D graphics.
Zero Gunner 2- isn't even close to the quality of the original.
Officially renaming the port of Zero Gunner 2 to Zero Gunner 2- (minus) shortly after launch has got to be one of the funniest things ever.

"It's shit, don't buy it" right in the title.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Might have missed it, but did the PS5 version ever come out? Or is there radio silence?
miwa

Post by miwa »

a few save slots would've significantly improved these collections.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

prophetic wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:44 pm Might have missed it, but did the PS5 version ever come out? Or is there radio silence?
Isn't retro-compatible? like everything?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Lemnear wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:01 am
prophetic wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:44 pm Might have missed it, but did the PS5 version ever come out? Or is there radio silence?
Isn't retro-compatible? like everything?
It is playable on PS5, yeah, that's how I played
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

There was a native PS5 version announced at some point but I've never seen anything since then. I'm guessing it might have been canceled? I just ended up picking up the PS4 discs.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/psikyo- ... 4-xbox-one