Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforce IV

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KimagureMachibuse

Re: Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforc

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

It would have been nice to see Keio Flying Squadron and Lords of Thunder on this Mini and Time Gal would been great over stuff like Night Trap. Not to mention the lack of Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 really does stink. I really would have liked for EarthWorm Jim Special Editon to be included as they included the sequel.

However although these omissions are a real bummer these games will still always be avaliable on the internet via roms and emulation so that is a great thing and not something to worry about.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

How much better is Super Fantasy Zone than the original though, anyway? Does it make a port of the original redundant to some extent?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

bigbadboaz wrote:How much better is Super Fantasy Zone than the original though, anyway? Does it make a port of the original redundant to some extent?
It's a completely different game, not a remake of the first. For some reason that title did it no favours though, and a lot of people seem to think otherwise. It's really Fantasy Zone III.

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:It would have been nice to see Keio Flying Squadron and Lords of Thunder on this Mini and Time Gal would been great over stuff like Night Trap. Not to mention the lack of Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 really does stink. I really would have liked for EarthWorm Jim Special Editon to be included as they included the sequel.
Any of those would have been great for sure. That being said, I totally get the inclusion of Night Trap. It's legitimately one of the most historically notable, and well known, games on the Sega CD in the US. So yeah, I can see the justification. I can also understand the omission of EWJ Special Edition, since the Genesis version was included on the first Genesis Mini (US/EU region exclusive). Yes, the Sega CD Special Edition release is an expanded version, but if they were only gonna do one EWJ game on the Genesis Mini 2, I think Earthworm Jim 2 is definitely the right call.

100% with you on the Time Gal pick. A few years ago I re-acquired original CDs for all of the Wolf Team developed Sega CD laserdisc ports (Cobra Command, Time Gal, Revenge of the Ninja, Road Blasters). Guess I'll be hanging onto them, some of my favorites from the platform. I would have been happy to see other Wolf Team stuff too. Any of the El Viento, Earnest Evans, Annet Futatabi trilogy, or even Sol-Feace (I know it gets trashed, but I like it anyway - and it does have some legitimate nostalgia value, having been a pack-in for the NA Sega CD model 1).

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the lineup, especially the NA Genesis Mini version. But there are definitely games that didn't make it onto any of the Genesis/MD minis that I would have liked to see. Most significantly, since one of the biggest selling points of the Mini II is that it features CD games, I kinda wish that there had been more of them. For me, my top 3 most wanted omissions:
1) Dark Wizard - IMO, the biggest RPG omission from the Mini 2
2) Snatcher - Yes, I understand the omission. But especially for the NA version, and knowing that Konami games for Sega 16-bit platforms did show up on the first Mini and on the Nintendo Switch Online, it feels like a loss.
3) Android Assault/Bari Arm
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I can't believe how much my stupid lizard brain wants to buy this, despite preferring to play on original hardware or a MISTer. My MD and TG16 minis have just been sitting in their boxes, only being out once each.

But at any rate, I'm curious to see if the MD2 mini will be hackable. The PCE/TG16 minis still haven't been cracked, right? Would like to dump the roms so I can play the tweaked Gradius and Salamander ROMs on original hardware...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

EUR version just went up for pre-order at least on amazon.de for €109.99. Got my pre-order in.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Ghegs wrote:EUR version just went up for pre-order at least on amazon.de for €109.99. Got my pre-order in.
Thank you for the heads-up, Ghegs. :)
I was waiting for one of the European branches to add a pre-order option.

I'm hoping Amazon Spain gets it soon (because I have free shipping from there), but in the meantime, just in case, I placed a pre-order with Amazon.de.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Ghegs wrote:EUR version just went up for pre-order at least on amazon.de for €109.99. Got my pre-order in.
Cheers! I was worried I'd miss out.

I'm a little surprised it's Amazon exclusive this time round though.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I’m also surprised that if you pre-order the US version from amazon, it’s actually being produced and shipped directly from Japan.

I have also read that the US version has 1/10th of the run due to supply shortages. So if you’re a collector/hoarder…
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Other European branches of Amazon are currently opening pre-orders.

After Germany, now Amazon Spain has also added their listing:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0B7BDN73B
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:How much better is Super Fantasy Zone than the original though, anyway? Does it make a port of the original redundant to some extent?
It's a completely different game, not a remake of the first. For some reason that title did it no favours though, and a lot of people seem to think otherwise. It's really Fantasy Zone III.

Hmmm, a different game? What's the source of this info? A lot of sites keep repeating that it's an arcade accurate port of the first one with an easy mode.
...basically what they did on the 3DS, minus the 3D;-)
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Necronom wrote:
Hmmm, a different game? What's the source of this info? A lot of sites keep repeating that it's an arcade accurate port of the first one with an easy mode.
...basically what they did on the 3DS, minus the 3D;-)
They're pretty much different games all together, if you've played or seen gameplay from both you can point out the differences right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As3rKii7pZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fMmZozwJs
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yes, Super was a new game made specially for the Megadrive, nothing to do with AC.
KimagureMachibuse

Imagel

[/quote]Hmmm, a different game? What's the source of this info? A lot of sites keep repeating that it's an arcade accurate port of the first one with an easy mode.
...basically what they did on the 3DS, minus the 3D;-)[/quote]

Super Fantasy zone is Fantasy Zone III having original stages and bosses it does have a mega drive rendition of the System 16 soundtrack of the first game and nods the first game bosses in the final stage but aside from that is a completley different game.

there does seem to be a misconception of people referring to it as a port or remake of the first game perhaps because there is the word Super in its title but that notion of refering to the game being a remake or port of the first is completley false.

The game even takes place way after the first and second game and even the System 16 remake of Fantasy Zone II as noted in the intro of Super Fantasy Zone.

As a side note this game is one of the many good looking games on the base sega genesis system

FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

FunktionJCB wrote:Other European branches of Amazon are currently opening pre-orders.

After Germany, now Amazon Spain has also added their listing:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0B7BDN73B
Wow, just a few hours later, Amazon Spain is listing it as "temporarily out of stock".
I know SEGA said the number of consoles available would be smaller, but could they have sold out their allocated stock already?

I cancelled my earlier pre-order from Germany, for a pre-order in Spain (free shipping), hopefully I didn't screw up. :mrgreen:
Sengoku Strider

Necronom wrote:What's the source of this info?

This copy of the game sitting next to me. :D

The 16-bit remake of the original Fantasy Zone being included in this mini is new. Super Fantasy Zone, pictured here, is a totally different game made by Sunsoft released back in 1992.
KimagureMachibuse

Sengoku Strider wrote:

The 16-bit remake of the original Fantasy Zone being included in this mini is new. Super Fantasy Zone, pictured here, is a totally different game made by Sunsoft released back in 1992.
got a copy of this game too JP one like that one in the sunsoft case

i dont get much JP Mega Drive games mainly due to how most of them arent the games im interested in for or are just way too much and not worth it at all. cough cough Contra Hard Corps and Panorama Cotton but there is no problem with playing the roms for all the ones i dont own. played JP Ristar Pulseman and Rockman Mega World on an emulator once and it was just as great if not better than on actual hardware.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Just adding to what FunktionJCB said above, MD Mini 2s are now also "currently unavailable" on Amazon UK. Pretty gutting if the total allocation is this tiny.

UPDATE: Amazon UK is now taking pre-orders again! Hopefully other European branches of Amazon will follow suit.
Last edited by Martinov on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Sengoku Strider wrote:

My bad, sorry. I misread the comparison and thought you refer to the Mini 2 version. That's why I mentioned the 3DS version, which has a port of the arcade version.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Amazon.es (Spain) just shipped my pre-order (European, Mega Drive 2 version), with an estimate delivery in two days. :)

Anyone already received their console (whatever version)?
Mero

Post by Mero »

Supposedly mine will arrive tomorrow, we shall see.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Mero wrote:Supposedly mine will arrive tomorrow, we shall see.
I received an update, and it seems mine will also arrive tomorrow. :wink:

---

On a random note, here's a cool moment from SEGA's last stream before the Genesis/Mega Drive 2 Mini launch:

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, the singer of various tracks for classic SEGA games (like that Daytona USA track everyone knows), singing the vocal version of the Space Harrier theme (it starts at 2:23:06; the link below should place you at the right moment):

https://youtu.be/G5ty-pa71vU?t=8586
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Any US version buyers not intending to use the stock controller, feel free to PM me. I am looking to buy.
Sengoku Strider

FunktionJCB wrote: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, the singer of various tracks for classic SEGA games (like that Daytona USA track everyone knows), singing the vocal version of the Space Harrier theme

I have ascended to a higher plane of existence.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm just going to have that as my desktop wallpaper forever.
Sengoku Strider

Top 10 Bible moments
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So Amazon JP decided my card info wasn't working and now for some dumb reason I can't even buy it off there anymore, all the shipping options are third party instead of Amazon themselves. Really nice. :evil:
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Steven

Post by Steven »

Got mine. Tatsujin is so much better with fixed music. Will try the Cyber Stick now to see how it is.

Uh...

Cyber Stick doesn't seem to work with Space Harrier II or Night Striker at all. It says Push Start, so I do, but nothing happens. I pushed every button on there, and that didn't do anything, either. It works for After Burner II, though, just like the XE-1AP does. The throttle is backwards, though, which is most odd.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Steven wrote: Cyber Stick doesn't seem to work with Space Harrier II or Night Striker at all. It says Push Start, so I do, but nothing happens. I pushed every button on there, and that didn't do anything, either. It works for After Burner II, though, just like the XE-1AP does. The throttle is backwards, though, which is most odd.
There’s new control software that may let you flip the axis on the Cyber Stick:

https://micomsoft-co-jp.translate.goog/ ... r_sch=http

Out of curiosity where did you buy yours?
Steven

Post by Steven »

SavagePencil wrote:
Steven wrote: Cyber Stick doesn't seem to work with Space Harrier II or Night Striker at all. It says Push Start, so I do, but nothing happens. I pushed every button on there, and that didn't do anything, either. It works for After Burner II, though, just like the XE-1AP does. The throttle is backwards, though, which is most odd.
There’s new control software that may let you flip the axis on the Cyber Stick:

https://micomsoft-co-jp.translate.goog/ ... r_sch=http

Out of curiosity where did you buy yours?
lol apparently you are supposed to plug it into controller port 2. That might be why. You can also put the throttle the way it's supposed to be by holding D and pressing reset.

Anyway, I got mine from ebten.