Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforce IV

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Re: Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforc

Post by Ghegs »

Sega also confirmed Europe is getting this as well, as Mega Drive Mini 2. Good news for me, I was just about to make a post here asking for somebody in the US to work as a proxy buyer for me.

Pretty good line-up overall I'd say. I hoped NA/EU version would get Starblade, but alas.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

They saved the best for last. Ex Ranza, Midnight Resistance, Chelnov/Atomic Runner are nice games. I actually prefer the Jp version of Chelnov, as from what i remember you had to press a direction along with the actual direction change button to turn left/right in Western version - you only need press the button to change direction in the Jp edition.

I've actually hacked most of these games onto my MD Mini 1 already, but I will possibly buy this edition for the Mega CD titles.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Space Harrier II "REMAKE" is fantastic news. The game is actually good, the MD version was just terribly crippled. Seeing this completely remade by M2 - and being able to play it with the Sharp/Dempa stick that's coming at the same time in Japan, is really exciting! Made my day :mrgreen:
Austin

Post by Austin »

SH II is being remade? Assuming with a better framerate? Man.. I may finally have the urge to play through the game now.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The American feature trailer has a video clip at the very end:
https://youtu.be/lzE_oH-MDAM
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, it looks fucking awesome. Glad I bought that USB Cyber Stick now... no way in hell that it will work on a real Mega Drive with an original Cyber Stick or XE-1AP, I'm guessing. Real sprite scaling makes me wonder if it's actually secretly a CD game.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

If the trailer is anything to go by, I'd the sound is more accurate than the Mini 1. Populous sounds very weird on my Mini 1, but seems accurate in this trailer.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Space Harrier 1&2.....? Is the first a completely new port?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm not entirely convinced Space Harrier II is a Sega CD game, but it would be better than if it were just a modern remake.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Udderdude wrote:I'm not entirely convinced Space Harrier II is a Sega CD game, but it would be better than if it were just a modern remake.
It looks like real sprite scaling to me; the Mega Drive alone can only do sprite scaling in software, not hardware, so the only way to do something at the level of the video that Sega posted on a real Mega Drive without it being a CD game would be to have a massive ROM size and do it all in software with a stupid number of differently sized sprites, unless there's something I'm forgetting about.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Martinov wrote:They saved the best for last. Ex Ranza, Midnight Resistance, Chelnov/Atomic Runner are nice games. I actually prefer the Jp version of Chelnov, as from what i remember you had to press a direction along with the actual direction change button to turn left/right in Western version - you only need press the button to change direction in the Jp edition.
Both US and JP versions of Chelnov have multiple configurations. There's even a configuration with separate buttons for left and right shooting, which works much better than a change direction button.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Actually, does anyone know what M2's Gigadrive emulator can do? If it can do sprite scaling, this new Space Harrier II and Space Harrier might be running on the Gigadrive. If they used the Gigadrive for 3DS After Burner II, and that of course has real sprite scaling (and is probably arcade-perfect), then I suppose it's feasible that they got these new Space Harriers running in the Gigadrive on the Mega Drive Mini 2.

Alright, well, I'm reading an interview with M2 CEO about how they did this, and I just realized that I have to wake up in 6 hours to go to work, which means I should probably go to sleep soon, but I'll leave the URL here so I can get back to it later. It seems that this will actually work on a real Mega Drive, although I'm not sure exactly how he did it. I'll figure it out later.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/635/G063531/20220812124/
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It seems that this will actually work on a real Mega Drive, although I'm not sure exactly how he did it. I'll figure it out later.
they created a co-processor and emulated that processor on an FPGA to run it on actual MD hardware.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

BrianC wrote:
Martinov wrote:They saved the best for last. Ex Ranza, Midnight Resistance, Chelnov/Atomic Runner are nice games. I actually prefer the Jp version of Chelnov, as from what i remember you had to press a direction along with the actual direction change button to turn left/right in Western version - you only need press the button to change direction in the Jp edition.
Both US and JP versions of Chelnov have multiple configurations. There's even a configuration with separate buttons for left and right shooting, which works much better than a change direction button.
Ah, my bad. Only the Jp version allows you to set the turn button to A (which is my preferred control scheme), whereas the Western releases will only let you use A with a direction to turn.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I do not need another niche controller (taking up even more space than a bunch of mini consoles already do). But man, this Space Harrier news makes me want that USB Cyber Stick lol... Saw it available to order just a couple days ago, not any more though. Maybe that's a good thing for me.

Anyway, not sure if people noticed that the NA version has a couple of very significant region-exclusive shooters: Elemental Master and Hellfire.

If you ask me, the NA version has a much better game list. The only Japan exclusives I'd miss are Starblade, Popful Mail, and maybe Sorcerian (Falcom fan here). I don't care about the Lunar games in Japanese, and in versions that are worse than the PS1 remakes at that. NA version has some really good exclusives though, even beyond the shooters. Might actually cancel my order for the Japanese one and go Genesis Mini 2 only this time around.

Full list of NA (and presumably EU) version region exclusives:
ClayFighter
Desert Strike
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Elemental Master
Golden Axe II
Hellfire
Herzog Zwei
The Ooze
OutRunners
Rainbow Islands Extra
The Revenge of Shinobi (on the JPN version of the original MD Mini)
Ristar
Rolling Thunder 2
Sewer Shark
Shadow Dancer
Shining Force II (only on the Asia version of the original MD Mini)
Sonic 3D Blast
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Vectorman 2
Warsong (Langrisser)

Japan version region exclusives:
Aah! Harimanada
Captain Tsubasa
Columns III
Gambler Jiko Chuushinha
Honoo no Tokyuuji Dodge Danpei
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Mahou no Shoujo Silky Lip
Magical Taruruto
Megapanel
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Party Quiz Mega Q 2022
Party Quiz Sega Q
Popful Mail
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Shin Megami Tensei
Sorcerian
Star Cruiser
Starblade
Tenka Fubu
Togi O: King Colossus
Wondermega Collection
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

re: Space Harrier II, it certainly seems that for this application it would be a hell of a lot simpler to add the extra scaling frames than rewrite the entire game as a Sega CD title. ROM size wouldn't really be a limitation without physical cartridges.

I'm excited for this title but it's not enough to buy a whole new mini.

They durn better release that six-button pad as a separate accessory!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Big interview here (In Japanese): https://www.4gamer.net/games/635/G063531/20220812124/
Googlel Translate wrote: When I heard that, I thought, logically, "What would happen if we implemented all the functions that were envisioned for the Mega Drive at the time?"

We designed the same VDP (Video Display Processor) hardware as this Space Harrier II, and built it into the main body of the Mega Drive so that it could be played on a real machine. The Mega Drive Mini 2 is made to run on that emulator, but I also tried making the actual hardware as a hobby (laughs).
In other words, there is no way in hell this advanced Space Harrier port will ever run on original hardware. Maybe if you built the additional functionality into the cartridge itself.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Ghegs wrote:Sega also confirmed Europe is getting this as well, as Mega Drive Mini 2. Good news for me, I was just about to make a post here asking for somebody in the US to work as a proxy buyer for me.
Awesome news indeed!
Hopefully, the European Amazon branches will have it up to pre-order soon. :)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'll buy it if it comes out in the UK. I was hoping to get Keio though.

I only wanted 3 games for Sega CD and 2 of them are on the list. Sadly most of the titles on this unit are not worthy of addition. There are quite a few titles on the MD in Japan that are mega expensive that would have been great additions like Snow Bros, Slapfight and that weird game Twinkle Tale by WAS that looks pretty amazing. Pulseman is a good addition.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

So all I can seem to find is this listing so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4D19JJ4?ps ... yp_imgToDp

Is this the only way to pre-order the NA version? :?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, either that (for US target destinations only), or directly from Amazon.jp (they have the Genesis version available for shipping worldwide).
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Fudoh wrote:they created a co-processor and emulated that processor on an FPGA to run it on actual MD hardware.
Neat, that's pretty much the same way that the SA-1 hacks for SNES work if run from a flash cart.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Udderdude wrote:Big interview here (In Japanese): https://www.4gamer.net/games/635/G063531/20220812124/
Googlel Translate wrote: When I heard that, I thought, logically, "What would happen if we implemented all the functions that were envisioned for the Mega Drive at the time?"

We designed the same VDP (Video Display Processor) hardware as this Space Harrier II, and built it into the main body of the Mega Drive so that it could be played on a real machine. The Mega Drive Mini 2 is made to run on that emulator, but I also tried making the actual hardware as a hobby (laughs).
In other words, there is no way in hell this advanced Space Harrier port will ever run on original hardware. Maybe if you built the additional functionality into the cartridge itself.
The startup screen calls it the "Sega Mark V", which is pretty cute. Clearly envisioning it as a next level 16-bit system that never happened.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

neorichieb1971 wrote:There are quite a few titles on the MD in Japan that are mega expensive that would have been great additions like Snow Bros, Slapfight and that weird game Twinkle Tale by WAS that looks pretty amazing.
Snow Bros and Slap Fight MD are both already on Japan/Asia versions of the first Mega Drive Mini (so is MUSHA, for what it's worth). Pretty good explanation for why they aren't on the follow-up mini-console ;)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

hamfighterx wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:There are quite a few titles on the MD in Japan that are mega expensive that would have been great additions like Snow Bros, Slapfight and that weird game Twinkle Tale by WAS that looks pretty amazing.
Snow Bros and Slap Fight MD are both already on Japan/Asia versions of the first Mega Drive Mini (so is MUSHA, for what it's worth). Pretty good explanation for why they aren't on the follow-up mini-console ;)
I didn't know that thanks.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Desert Strike! Never actually played the MD version as I only had a SMS (SMS Desert Strike is still great, mind). Hopefully EA will unlock that archive completely now. Would love to see Soviet/Nuclear get a facelift, tried Soviet on the Saturn but it was too grotty to tell what was going on a few missions in (and the classic Strike fixed camera option was unplayable because too much stuff got hidden).

As always, a lot of rehashing and some bananas stuff (Golden Axe II and Streets of Rage 3 only?!) but those Mega CD titles probably guarantee this is at least value for money. Even if I'd rather have it as a compilation for a console instead of having another thing to keep plugging in/out. I wish they'd stop splitting by region as well, I understand untranslated RPGs as having little Western value but Starblade got a worldwide release so why on Earth is that only on the JP one?
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

The Genesis version is slightly better IMO but, as usual, the exclusives give me decision paralysis. I wish the bonus games included a translated Shin Megami Tensei.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Wow… I find the US version clearly superior.
This is the first time I haven’t felt frustrated having to choose.
Steven

Post by Steven »

They really should have gotten that unreleased but apparently finished or almost finished Mega Drive Teki-Paki on this thing while they were talking with Tatsujin for... um, Tatsujin. If you've never played Mega-CD Shin Megami Tensei, it has some awesome music and some extremely disappointing music. Overall the SFC version's music is a lot better, which is extremely sad since most SFC/SNES music sounds like a super compressed and muffled recording of someone farting underwater. Actually the SFC version's music is probably better than the PS1 version's, too, now that I think about it.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Udderdude wrote:Big interview here (In Japanese): https://www.4gamer.net/games/635/G063531/20220812124/

In the interview Horii says he could release it if he got approval. I have no idea what would be involved with an enhancement chip nowadays in terms of manufacturing or cost. Trivial, or inconvenient due to speciality and small print run? But either way it would be an awesome trend to start. Both the Master System and Mega Drive suffered so much because of Sega's complete unwillingness to use enhancement chips; Virtua Racing was literally the only time in their entire history they ever used one. Meanwhile Nintendo ran rings around them by using chips to shore up their hardware's weaknesses and look better than they were.

So going back and righting that wrong by using enhancement chips to make the games that should have happened would be a really cool move. Like, imagine a Sega history where they made a colour enhancement chip standard for non-budget releases from '91 or '92 onward. That was really all they needed to beat out the SNES hardware, really. Especially if you bring the CD into the equation. The 32X could have effectively been that, but we all know how that story went.

I do hope Space Harrier I/II EX & Fantasy Zone get physical releases. I don't plan to get this mini, but I have been planning on picking up Space Harrier II for some time, and this would be a much more satisfactory way to do so. Darius Extra Version was like the best thing to come out of the previous mini, it's awesome. Fantasy Zone has Saturn and Switch Sega AGES releases so it would be easier to do without, but it does kind of feel like righting another historical wrong as it was passed over during the MD's lifespan (and Super Fantasy Zone didn't even getting a North American release, WAI).