Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforce IV

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforc

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Jonpachi wrote:After Burner 2
That's some great news. You can't have a Genesis without that game.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Steven wrote:Tatsujin is here and with fixed music. Thank god that they finally fixed that shit. Surprised there isn't a ROM hack for that after all of these years.
MD Tatsujin/Truxton used the same ROM for all regions, just displayed a different title screen based on the detected region. Playing the game in 50hz PAL mode, the BGM sounds much closer to the arcade. That's probably why there's never been a fix. There is one to make some of the graphics more arcade-like.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Second batch announced. Really hoping we get the Lunar games on the NA release, but we probably won't due to the noted WD issues noted above.

Sega Mega Drive Games

Aah! Harimanada
Alien Soldier
Fatal Fury 2
Gyuwanburaa Jikochuushin Ha Katayama Masayuki no Majong Dojo
Splatterhouse 2
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Tatsujin

Sega Mega CD Titles

Final Fight CD
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Wondermega Collection
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Reminder that the more these minis sell, the longer the next M2 Shottriggers releases will take. The world needs a proper port of Batrider for a capable system, not another of Fantasy Zone for inferior hardware on an underpowered, laggy-as-hell device. Please, agree with me.

Super Fantasy Zone fo the Mega Drive far exceeds the arcade version in graphics and dare i say better than original and it was done on the Sega Mega Drive which is not exactly the same as the System 16
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

So is the version on this mini going to be Hidecade's port of the arcade version to MD like they did with Darius?

Here's what the MD port looks like:
https://youtu.be/HwcK-5n5o_w
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Jonpachi wrote:Second batch announced. Really hoping we get the Lunar games on the NA release, but we probably won't due to the noted WD issues noted above.

Sega Mega Drive Games

Aah! Harimanada
Alien Soldier
Fatal Fury 2
Gyuwanburaa Jikochuushin Ha Katayama Masayuki no Majong Dojo
Splatterhouse 2
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Tatsujin

Sega Mega CD Titles

Final Fight CD
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Wondermega Collection
Why would they go with MD Fatal Fury 2 over Mega CD Fatal Fury Special? I don't think anybody cares about 2, but Special still has a weirdly active tournament scene in Japan.

Although I was just playing the AES version of Special the other day and my God, that might well be the most obnoxious AI ever. All it does is jump back & forth across the two playfields. And because any button press while the opponent is not standing exactly on your line will send you jumping to the other one, you can't even really counter it jumping at you with a special move or anything.

A while ago I was looking through the wave of sumo titles that popped up during the 16-bit era, I thought it would be fun & quirky to own one. Sadly they all look bad, or are sumo stable sims with limited interactivity in actual matches. Aa Harimanada didn't seem to be much of an exception, though if someone who's actually played it knows otherwise I'd love to hear it. Stellar job on the crowd animations either way.
Rastan78 wrote:So is the version on this mini going to be Hidecade's port of the arcade version to MD like they did with Darius?

Here's what the MD port looks like:
https://youtu.be/HwcK-5n5o_w
Darius EX is pretty freaking awesome, so if this gets a cartridge release too and is of the same quality that'd be great. What I really wished they'd have done was backport the remake of Fantasy Zone 2. That game was a Master System exclusive, that M2 remade in 2008 as a System-16 game...for a PS2 Sega Ages compilation. Bringing that back to run on a Mega Drive would have been cooler than another version of the original Fantasy Zone, which just got an excellent AGES version on Switch, and as pointed out above was kind of already one-upped by Sunsoft's MD Super Fantasy Zone.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Why would they go with MD Fatal Fury 2 over Mega CD Fatal Fury Special? I don't think anybody cares about 2, but Special still has a weirdly active tournament scene in Japan.
GSK translated some comments on that: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1547953370052558848

MD FF2 has a cult fanbase in Japan, and it has gameplay that's unique compared to the arcade version compared to Mega CD FFS.
Sengoku Strider

Ms. Tea wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:Why would they go with MD Fatal Fury 2 over Mega CD Fatal Fury Special? I don't think anybody cares about 2, but Special still has a weirdly active tournament scene in Japan.
GSK translated some comments on that: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1547953370052558848

MD FF2 has a cult fanbase in Japan, and it has gameplay that's unique compared to the arcade version compared to Mega CD FFS.
Tons of interesting stuff in that thread, thanks. I'd never heard that about the MD FF2, googling seems to yield almost nothing, at least across the first couple of pages. All I came across was a Japanese blog that said:

原作とは違い、連続技が可能となっていたり

In a difference from the original, you're now able to chain moves

I haven't played FF2 in a billion years, were proper combos only introduced in Special?

Looking at the EGM archives (can't be motivated to dig through everything from the time):

Okay, a speed setting as well as other unspecified options?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Reminder that the more these minis sell, the longer the next M2 Shottriggers releases will take. The world needs a proper port of Batrider for a capable system, not another of Fantasy Zone for inferior hardware on an underpowered, laggy-as-hell device. Please, agree with me.

Super Fantasy Zone fo the Mega Drive far exceeds the arcade version in graphics and dare i say better than original and it was done on the Sega Mega Drive which is not exactly the same as the System 16
The Sega Mega Drive is essentially a downgraded System 16, but OK, I didn't mean to say that they can't make a version close enough on the MD, just that the whole idea is dumb. The game is everywhere at this point and they could just easily emulate the original on the Mini if they reeeally need the game there. I'm aware that it's originally a fan project but still it requires resources and time, and the whole what if? thing makes little sense when they're using so much ROM and even technical knowledge that just wasn't available then. Darius MD at least gave us the only faithful version of the game for 4:3 screens.

Fantasy Zone 2 System 16 version is not only on the PS2 and the 3DS, it's easily available via Mame so again, I fail to see the point of a supposed downgraded port for the MD.

Then again, whatever I say in this thread will have a bitter tone because I find the minis not simply useless, but harmful as well as I've explained several times, so don't mind me.
Sengoku Strider

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I find the minis not simply useless, but harmful as well
I don't think you need to feel held captive by them now that M2's not the only competent show in town. Given that they're still committed to like 3 years of Toaplan releases (and Senjin Aleste & Strikers 2020???), you'd probably have more luck petitioning Livewire to negotiate for Raizing material.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

M2 in Strikers 2020's development sounds well as it'd mean we'd get some quality out of it, but I'm afraid they're not in. Aleste Branch seems their most demanding project at the moment as Ubusuna is what it is. Hopefully they canned the Feveron Gakuen thingie forever, though likely they haven't. Anyway, chances for Batrider are few thanks to that other forthcoming mini no matter who, but M2 themselves previously hinted at it being likely.
subcons

Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforce IV

Post by subcons »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Anyway, chances for Batrider are few thanks to that other forthcoming mini no matter who, but M2 themselves previously hinted at it being likely.
Interesting. I hadn’t seen mention of this anywhere. Got a link? I remembered them saying years ago that they’d done the emulation on Batrider but it wasn’t running up to their standards due to hardware limitations at the time. Figured we just wouldn’t see it until they moved onto more powerful platforms beyond PS4/Switch.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Found a couple:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201711/08145584.html

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/180830

In the former Horii says that he'd have preferred to do Batrider (and S. Gurentai) before Mahou Daisakusen but that he decided to just keep the chronological order (in Eighting's history). The latter is the interview after the Twitter poll about fan preferences, with they suggesting that Batrider was one of the better positioned to get the home version.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Found a couple:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201711/08145584.html

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/180830

In the former Horii says that he'd have preferred to do Batrider (and S. Gurentai) before Mahou Daisakusen but that he decided to just keep the chronological order (in Eighting's history). The latter is the interview after the Twitter poll about fan preferences, with they suggesting that Batrider was one of the better positioned to get the home version.
Thanks for the links; interesting reads.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Why would they go with MD Fatal Fury 2 over Mega CD Fatal Fury Special?
I heard somewhere that FF Special was a botched port and done by a western developer named Funcom.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Next batch of games announced, and includes Denin Aleste (aka Robo Aleste) (Mega CD) and Viewpoint (MD).

Robo Aleste was the one game I was really hoping for on this machine after it was revealed that CD games were going to be included, so I'm pretty pleased! Kinda expected, considering M2's involvement and Musha Aleste showing up on the first MD Mini (and relatively recently in Nintendo Switch Online), but I'm relieved and excited anyway.

This batch of announcements (announcement #4 of 5 with titles 34-44, the last batch to be revealed in late August):

Cartridge titles
Gain Ground
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Sorcerian
Tougi Ou: King Colossus
Viewpoint

CD titles
Ecco the Dolphin CD
Robo Aleste
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Shin Megami Tensei
Tenka Fubu: Eiyuu-tachi no Houkou
Last edited by hamfighterx on Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Is there no place you can ask for a nominee game?

I want Keio Flying Squadron on it.
Ninja Warriors Sega CD
Final Fight CD
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Is there no place you can ask for a nominee game?

I want Keio Flying Squadron on it.
Ninja Warriors Sega CD
Final Fight CD
Final Fight CD and Ninja Warriors CD were already confirmed in previous waves.

All of the currently announced games are listed on the official site: https://sega.jp/mdmini2/titlelist.html
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

They gotta be saving Keio for last. It's M2. It's THE GEM we all want for the set. I'm already all-in for Silpheed and Robo Aleste, but Keio would put it at god-tier among minis.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Nice to see a western title included with Populous. Hopefully it's not the only one like Road Rash II was last time around, since a Strike game definitively is deserving of inclusion on this (I'd personally select Desert Strike).
Austin

Post by Austin »

Meh. Keio is okay. I’d rather see Bari Arm or Lords of Thunder. Much more fun IMO.
Azathoth_0

Post by Azathoth_0 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Why would they go with MD Fatal Fury 2 over Mega CD Fatal Fury Special?

Okay, a speed setting as well as other unspecified options?
The Mega CD port of Special isn't very good, it looks good in screenshots but plays awful. Static backgrounds, 2 frames of standing or walking animation, a bit of slowdown and wonky gameplay. While Takara is still in business in some form I don't know if the rights to the CD port published by JVC could even be tracked down.

The MD port of 2 looks grainy but plays very well and is often regarded as better than the SFC version. It also has a dipswitch you can turn on that will allow absolutely crazy shit with chain combos, cancels, and juggling.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Austin wrote:Meh. Keio is okay. I’d rather see Bari Arm or Lords of Thunder. Much more fun IMO.
Ditto.

I'd guess the licensing for Keio might be convoluted what with JVC/Victor handling the original release and there was that famous voice over artist involved as well.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Big fingers crossed for Switch/Panic!
Sengoku Strider

Koa Zo wrote:
Austin wrote:Meh. Keio is okay. I’d rather see Bari Arm or Lords of Thunder. Much more fun IMO.
Ditto.

I'd guess the licensing for Keio might be convoluted what with JVC/Victor handling the original release and there was that famous voice over artist involved as well.
Wondermega Collection is already announced, so it seems JVC is on board. Keiō seems like a safe bet.

I've never seen it even mentioned in English, but I can all but guarantee one of the other two remaining CD games will be Game Arts' Yumimi Mix. If you saw the Beep! Mega Drive final rankings thread I did, you'll see that game finished 9th out of every Mega Drive game of any format. The equally obscure Gyuwanburā Jiko Chūshun Ha finished 7th on that same list, Lord Monarch was 15th, and they're already announced. Lunar EB = 1, Lunar SSS = 14, Silpheed = 8, also all on board as part of the Game Arts deal. So it seems like a solid predictor.

I wonder if any gambling site has prop bets up anywhere.

After Armageddon was a Sega published CD rpg in the system's final year, so I think that seems like a likely suspect as well. Snatcher was never released for Mega CD in Japan and there's no other Konami stuff here, so I would scratch that off the list.

Similarly, Lords/Winds of Thunder was never released for Mega CD in Japan, so you can likely scratch that as well.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I've never seen it even mentioned in English, but I can all but guarantee one of the other two remaining CD games will be Game Arts' Yumimi Mix.
They've already stated that there won't be any more Game Arts games.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Super interesting Dengeki Online interview about the 4th wave of announced games with the MD Mini 2's producer, Yosuke Okunari, kindly translated by GSK on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1557774594588966917

One nice piece of info: they're including both Denin Aleste and Robo Aleste via a region select. I didn't really know about the differences, but seems Robo Aleste is better (improved load times, rebalanced power ups) and Okunari hopes that the overseas version helps improve Denin Aleste's not-so-hot reputation in Japan.
Sengoku Strider

Ms. Tea wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:I've never seen it even mentioned in English, but I can all but guarantee one of the other two remaining CD games will be Game Arts' Yumimi Mix.
They've already stated that there won't be any more Game Arts games.
But I was going to look like a genius :(
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

hamfighterx wrote:Super interesting Dengeki Online interview about the 4th wave of announced games with the MD Mini 2's producer, Yosuke Okunari, kindly translated by GSK on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1557774594588966917
That was interesting, thanks for the link. Players are essentially asked not to nitpick the included games, because they're working on 50+ at once, and most of the QA testing is being done by interns/new hires. The CD games are especially difficult to get right, and the RPGs are awful to test.

Takeaway - expect bugs.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Final games have been announced. They fucking remade Space Harrier II AND Space Harrier for this thing, along with a few other new games. Also have Ragnacenty, Night Trap, Granada, EX-RANZA, Star Cruiser, and Captain Tsubasa, among others.