Evercade - Irem and Toaplan collections, TATE handheld

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Evercade - Irem and Toaplan collections, TATE handheld

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Probably the closest thing to the Toaplan Arcade Garages getting a worldwide release:

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/irem-arcade-1/
https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/toaplan-arcade-1/

Would be surprised if there are any bells and whistles beyond the standard arcade versions with savestates, so the M2 Switch/PS4 releases will still be a more complete package. But it's a much cheaper entry point if you just want to play the games.

Releasing end of the year, pre-orders due in September

Plus a new model handheld Evercade which has TATE support:
https://evercade.co.uk/evercade-exp-limited-edition/
Jonpachi

Re: Evercade - Irem and Toaplan collections, TATE handheld

Post by Jonpachi »

Pretty damn slick! For the $20 USD these generally go for, these will be an absolute steal. Love that I'm seeing Cybattler on the Jaleco collection coming too.

The TATE mode on the new handheld seems like a silly gimmick, ala FlipGrip, but it might be fun for some save-state practice. I already have the OG handheld and the VS Console, so I'll pass for now, but if the d-pad and buttons prove to be an upgrade over the old-gen model I might triple-dip eventually.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Does the VS console do TATE on these games?

I don't really like playing these games on handheld I get thumb and finger fatigue.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

The original arcade version of R-TYPE in physical format? Sounds good to me. I've already got one of the Evercade VS consoles to play it on.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Does the VS console do TATE on these games?

I don't really like playing these games on handheld I get thumb and finger fatigue.
Tate is a new thing for Evercade with these releases, but I think it's safe to assume it'll be a simple menu option for any console.

I have the Data East Arcade collection, which has some vertical games like Burgertime, but there's no Tate support.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Unless it's an ultralight device I don't see the tate mode being usable for more than 5 minutes, and even then, the dpad and buttons are way too close and misplaced each other to be comfortable enough.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jaleco Arcade 1 cartridge (coming in July) is fairly shmup heavy as well. Includes arcade versions of: Saint Dragon, E.D.F. Earth Defense Force, CyBattler, and P-47 The Phantom Fighter.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

You are going to look like a bloody idiot holding that thing sideways in public, plus it will be top-heavy depending on the units weight distribution, so likely to be uncomfortable to hold in TATE mode for more than a few minutes. Expect severe hand cramp.

The Evercade is just a 1.5GHz CPU with 4GB RAM, so pretty much any mobile phone is a more capable device for retro gaming... and less likely to make you look like a complete retard on the bus. 8)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

MidnightWolf wrote:You are going to look like a bloody idiot holding that thing sideways in public, plus it will be top-heavy depending on the units weight distribution, so likely to be uncomfortable to hold in TATE mode for more than a few minutes. Expect severe hand cramp.

The Evercade is just a 1.5GHz CPU with 4GB RAM, so pretty much any mobile phone is a more capable device for retro gaming... and less likely to make you look like a complete retard on the bus. 8)
Sorry, who are these people trying so hard to play shmups in public spaces? I love the image of an average forum-member, likely a man in their 40s, somehow worried about their public perception as they attempt to dig into some Truxton on public transportation.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm skeptical about how comfortable the TATE mode option will be, will depend heavily on the weight distribution in the thing and how wide it is, if it's comfortable to hold despite being rather small, etc. But it hopefully can't be any worse than a Gameboy Color or GBA SP in terms of size, so the weight would be the main factor.
MidnightWolf wrote:You are going to look like a bloody idiot holding that thing sideways in public

pretty much any mobile phone is a more capable device for retro gaming... and less likely to make you look like a complete retard on the bus. 8)
Why would other irrelevant people's dumb opinions remotely matter? That's a rhetorical question; they don't. Just enjoy the thing.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Don't take advice about looking cool from anyone still using the word retard as an insult.

Somehow this convo reminded me of some of the marketing shots for the new Lego sets that have like 10,000 pieces, obviously intended for middle aged men to build. The guys always look like some wealthy Italian CEO with a tasteful apt. whose super model wife is in the other room making him a cappuccino. Like yeah that's totally the guy who builds a giant Lego Millenium Falcon.
Spoiler
Hmm maybe after this I make passionate love to Fabiana. Then perhaps some Tate mode Truxton on the bus?

@Roo agreed its not worth worrying about random strangers opinions. 99% of the time they're tuned out not even noticing things others do. Is playing a game on a device that more or less looks like a phone at a glance going to turn heads on a NY Subway? I doubt it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Is that some kind of medieval metal castle door on the wall behind him? :lol:
TransatlanticFoe

I was pleasantly surprised by the VS gamepad, so it definitely strikes me as more playable in TATE than the Switch. It'll be little heavier than the battery so I'm sure it won't be any more awkward to play than a chunky old original Gameboy - with the bonus that you'll actually be able to see the screen.
Jonpachi wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Does the VS console do TATE on these games?

Tate is a new thing for Evercade with these releases, but I think it's safe to assume it'll be a simple menu option for any console.

I have the Data East Arcade collection, which has some vertical games like Burgertime, but there's no Tate support.
I'm sure they've said somewhere that it'll apply to all the existing vertically orientated games, so will probably be a firmware job and an option when you turn the game on. Given the underlying hardware will be the same as the VS, it's possible they'll add it to the console too.
Jeneki wrote:Jaleco Arcade 1 cartridge (coming in July) is fairly shmup heavy as well. Includes arcade versions of: Saint Dragon, E.D.F. Earth Defense Force, CyBattler, and P-47 The Phantom Fighter.
I think the games on Jaleco Arcade I are already Arcade Archives releases, I did think about a mention but figured the cheap and widespread release elsewhere made them a bit less notable. I'll be picking it up though because there's some decent stuff on there.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Is that some kind of medieval metal castle door on the wall behind him? :lol:
Or an old factory door bc he bought a giant abandoned factory and turned the whole thing into his house?

"Fabiana, I told you not to interrupt when I'm building Legos. I need my concentration!"

"I'm sorry to disturb you, darling. I just thought you might be ready for another cognac. With an orange twist?"
SPM

Post by SPM »

I love how Rastan is keeping consistency in the story. It all started with Fabiana and with Fabiana it will end :lol:

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian CEO who drinks cappuccinos and cognacs with an orange twist is into Legos and metal castle doors. I've seen it all at this point :P (does he have a name? I need this story to expand!)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:I think the games on Jaleco Arcade I are already Arcade Archives releases, I did think about a mention but figured the cheap and widespread release elsewhere made them a bit less notable. I'll be picking it up though because there's some decent stuff on there.
I believe Avenging Spirit is the only one not on Arcade Archives yet. Arcade Arcives are nicer releases so I agree that's a better route to go.

The only games I'd rather play on Evercade over other consoles are the Data East games published by 612 Entertainment (Bad Dudes, Wizard Fire, Gate of Doom), as the Evercade release has far less input lag.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'll ask Everdrive to see if the TATE modes work on the VS. I don't have any desire to play shmups on a handheld as I get finger/thumb fatigue holding a handheld that is quite thin. The cartridges would add weight and it would surely affect your performance for more than 1-2 games.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I'll ask Everdrive to see if the TATE modes work on the VS. I don't have any desire to play shmups on a handheld as I get finger/thumb fatigue holding a handheld that is quite thin. The cartridges would add weight and it would surely affect your performance for more than 1-2 games.
I would be shocked if the VS didn't support it, but thanks for following up!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Appears TATE is a physical button on the new handheld, so not guaranteed for VS
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Jonpachi wrote:Sorry, who are these people trying so hard to play shmups in public spaces? I love the image of an average forum-member, likely a man in their 40s, somehow worried about their public perception as they attempt to dig into some Truxton on public transportation.
I've seen this attitude before and out of curiosity...what is the problem with playing shmups on the commute or while waiting for the train? I see so many people scrolling like zombies through their FB pages or recording stupid voice messages in public without any care in the world. Is playing a game in public the problem or the fact that it's a shmup?
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Are these games officially licensed releases?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yes.
https://evercade.co.uk/ wrote:Is Evercade Legal?
Yes! All Evercade games are officially licensed by the brand owners. Evercade is proud to present authentic licensed games to our customers.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

SPM wrote:I've seen it all at this point :P (does he have a name? I need this story to expand!)
On Fightcade SF: 3S he is the most feared and respected S rank Oro main. Never misses any of the tricky character specific unblockable setups and is known only by the handle xXx_420bL4z3NuggZ_xXx
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Necronom wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Sorry, who are these people trying so hard to play shmups in public spaces? I love the image of an average forum-member, likely a man in their 40s, somehow worried about their public perception as they attempt to dig into some Truxton on public transportation.
I've seen this attitude before and out of curiosity...what is the problem with playing shmups on the commute or while waiting for the train? I see so many people scrolling like zombies through their FB pages or recording stupid voice messages in public without any care in the world. Is playing a game in public the problem or the fact that it's a shmup?
Yeah, exactly my point actually. Who are these people that want to play games in public but are somehow ashamed of it? I was just responding to an earlier comment about how dumb someone will look playing it in tate...
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Jonpachi wrote:
Necronom wrote:
Yeah, exactly my point actually. Who are these people that want to play games in public but are somehow ashamed of it? I was just responding to an earlier comment about how dumb someone will look playing it in tate...
My heavy interest in retro gaming started up with me trying to find ways to kill time during my commute. That was 3 years ago and it turned into a full blown hobby which included getting into shmups. I actually look really fondly back on those days. But back then I always kind of wondered what people thought when I'd throw my phone onto a BT controller to play X-Men vs Street Fighter. It probably looked kind of funny.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You should see the looks I get when I play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on my Nomad using the original cartridges on the train. Everyone probably thinks I'm absolutely fucking insane, and they're right!

Anyway, I don't suppose that they have said anything about the 1P or Japanese versions of the Toaplan games, have they? It would be disappointing to be stuck playing Guardian instead of Get Star and 2P Zero Wing instead of 1P Zero Wing. It's already a hard sell because of the price of the EXP itself, which is about the same price as a Switch given the yen/pound exchange rate, but I already have a Switch, and because I already have half of these Toaplan games on the Switch and the other half are coming eventually, complete with Japanese and overseas versions. This will be the faster way to get those games not already on the Switch at this rate, though.

I want to buy this, but it's out of my price range while also offering me worse versions of games that I already own, sadly, so I'd be basically paying for those games that M2 hasn't gotten to yet.

Arcade-perfect R-Type is a very interesting prospect, however. Have they said anything about refresh rates?
TransatlanticFoe

They typically only have one ROM per game, so yeah it'll be Guardian rather than Get Star - looks like the worldwide releases across the set. And the arcade collections so far haven't had DIP switches (based on the Technos collection that came with my VS), so it's pretty barebones. Nothing on refresh rates either but I wouldn't be surprised if it's straight up 60 Hz across the board.

I think as an enthusiast you'd be better off waiting for the Switch versions. The feature sets, pricing and game lineups in general on Evercade are shooting squarely at a more casual nostalgia-based retro audience. The emulation has been great on everything I've played so far though, so they're paying attention to the basics.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah, nobody should be buying an Evercade collection for a purist arcade experience, but I think their focus on value and quality has been exceptional. Even for the more middling collections, it's hard to hate on the $20 price point when the emulation is generally quite good.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I picked up the Jaleco Arcade Collection 1, and it's once again a really solid effort for the price ($20!) though lacking in options. There's no Tate for Cybattler, which is perhaps the one big disappointment here. It is indeed looking like the new handheld may have the exclusive on that mode, which is a shame as I love the VS console otherwise.

Shmup Titles:
- Cybattler
- Saint Dragon
- E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
- P-47: The Phantom Fighter

Others:
- 64th Street Detective Story
- Avenging Spirit
- Rod Land (huh-huh, huh-huh, you said ROD)
- The Astyanax
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jonpachi wrote:Yeah, nobody should be buying an Evercade collection for a purist arcade experience, but I think their focus on value and quality has been exceptional. Even for the more middling collections, it's hard to hate on the $20 price point when the emulation is generally quite good.
This exactly. The go to will always be the AA ports, but the Evercade is just a solid and wallet friendly backup for me. Already ordered the EXP.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell