Image Fight / Image Fight II

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Unadan360

Image Fight / Image Fight II

Post by Unadan360 »

Any fans of Image Fight or Image Fight II here? Thinking of picking up Image Fight on Switch. Average game or classic?
BIL

Re: Image Fight / Image Fight II

Post by BIL »

A much-beloved classic from IREM's early golden age. As per Hamster's usual, the ACA version is no-frills but sharply responsive and bullseye-accurate, an easy recommendation. It uses the Japanese version, which is notably tougher than overseas revisions. Even then, the first loop isn't the nightmare it's sometimes made out to be; the second is super tough, but still well within sane limits imo.

The second game is a competent postscript, but probably skippable for non-completists. Doesn't do much new of note, and its PCE res + yoko format can get claustrophobic in a way unlike the original's masterful tension. Grants a few nice amenities, like a dedicated Pod Shoot button, and a sensibly trimmed-down (but not overly tiny) hitbox, so it's relatively comfy in spite of the sub-optimal viewing conditions.

Edit: Here's an interview with composer Masahiko Ishida, where talks about duelling with the game designers for authorial privileges. :mrgreen: Excellent read, guy left IREM because he couldn't stay away from the RAWK. (he recently gave his blessing to the ACA releases of ImageFight and Saigo no Nindou)
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhasashotgun

Post by bobhasashotgun »

If you are a fan of R-Type or Irem in general, I highly recommend it, if not, I'd hold off on getting it. It definitely feels like a game that's more interested in challenging fans opposed to attracting new player. That being said, it's innovative game that was a huge influence on Treasure's RSG and Ikaruga. Also, I'm pretty sure Battle Garegga lifted it's multi-direction from Image Fight, but don't take my word on that.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I just got the PC Engine version this week. I can see why this game has its cult following, it's a demanding memorize-'em-up with some unique traits and a cool ship design. I think this game might do the rolling gun thing better than any other game up until Rolling Gunner itself; the game definitely feels more purposefully constructed around it than say, GleyLancer (which I still love).

But is it just me, or are the collision boxes in this game huge? Like I'd swear that even on the first boss, those rings aren't touching my ship but still KO me. Is the arcade version any different in this regard?
BIL

Post by BIL »

The HuCard is infamously claustrophobic, yep. Perikles ranks its difficulty pretty high mostly on account of the tiny resolution and questionable hitboxes.

The arcade version isn't like this at all. As with its close contemporary IREM STGs, collision is tight yet sensibly lenient, and the crisp resolution ensures even its most fiendishly packed-out sections give you plenty of headroom. (technically you don't need to see its infamously brutal Penalty Areas at all, unless you're going for score)
Sengoku Strider

Thanks. I might just shelve this one. I've heard the Saturn port has a couple of issues that keep it from being arcade perfect, is it that bad? It's crazy expensive these days so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take it over the Hamster release, but on the other hand I love my physical software and it's on the Saturn which makes it cool.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Very likeable ports, those, but they've a nasty achilles' heel with the M72's resolution not quite fitting the screen. :sad: I've had the PS1 version (interchangeable with Saturn AFAIK) forever, mostly for X-Multiply, which is quite playable despite the cropped playfield. It's a relatively easygoing STG with quite a bit of room for blind improv (utterly excellent for it), and only a handful of spots that get significantly trickier. Not ideal but certainly decent enough.

ImageFight, on the other hand, I could never get along with here. It's a deliberately intense affair with all four sides of the screen presenting active threats... just not enjoyable played with blind corners. Happily, there's the ACA versions of both nowadays, handily retiring X-ING's disc to curio status. (I love curios :cool:)

IREM themselves had some trouble with the M72 res, on R-Types (PS1). You have to choose between either a toggleable status bar, or a translucent one. That said, I don't think there's any actual cropping going on, unlike in X-Multiply. The ports also run a tad quick, at 60hz vs the M72's native 55hz. Still, fine translations of one of the less ideal classic 80s hardware platforms. I always wished they'd done Saigo no Nindou, which has its own superb ACA release, though there's still Dragon Breed, Mr. Heli, Hero Tonma and Gen-San to pine after.
Sengoku Strider

Alright, thanks, I guess that settles that question. But I'm glad the sequel was a bit tighter, I might still check that out down the line some day. PCE stuff is great because while prices on the TurboGrafx scene have gone nuclear (Magical Chase averaging $8000 CIB) for the most part PCE stuff is still well within the realm of the affordable.