The Bakraid story isn't what we thought it was...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

The Bakraid story isn't what we thought it was...

Post by Skyknight »

https://www.8ing.co.jp/museum/prd/bakraid/index.html

What I put up on Wikipedia long ago was cobbled from what appears to be rather amateurish understanding of the original Japanese. I know Google Translate isn't exactly the thing for good Japanese translation, but I can surmise what's going on...

--Randa isn't necessarily full capitalist (thankfully); "capitalists" (it's not a word rendered in katakana, evidently) rather helped fund Randa's original research into fighter planes.

--The Bakraid competition, though, was rendered properly. It's a competition between the various high-end manufacturers, with live ammunition on the planes. "Bakraid" apparently started as a popular nickname, although I don't know what the etymology is supposed to be.

--The crisis just before the seventh Bakraid took place on the continent of Shtarterra. Deneb, one of the nations there and the one with the most advanced military technology, had gone imperialistic and begun conquering its neighbors for resources. The Shtarterra Security Council is not their puppet. Rather, it's an alliance of the other Shtarterran nations, and they sounded the alarm to the world in general to help thwart Deneb's ambitions. Randa would like to help, except it has no standing army. What it does have is the Bakraid participant planes...
Jonpachi

Re: The Bakraid story isn't what we thought it was...

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks for blowing up my Bakraid fan-fic novellla. Jeez! Now to start ALL OVER again!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

As a long time Bakraid fan I'm even surprised there is actually a story. I just thought it was a random collection of generic shmup archetypes.
Jonpachi wrote:Thanks for blowing up my Bakraid fan-fic novellla. Jeez! Now to start ALL OVER again!
When you're working up that rewrite in the wee hours of the morning, just remember it's spelled Shtarterra, not Shart-terra.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Skyknight wrote:although I don't know what the etymology is supposed to be.
Bakra-Eid is one of the various transliterations of the Indian name for the Islamic holiday Eid al-Adha.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

So is that a coincidence? Or you're saying Bakraid was actually named after a Muslim religious holiday?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rastan78 wrote: When you're working up that rewrite in the wee hours of the morning, just remember it's spelled Shtarterra, not Shart-terra.
For some reason when I read that, I was thinking "Shatner", which is definitely not how it's spelled.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

If i want a story, i'll go read a book.

I've never cared about the story or lore in any SHMUP. I'm just here to shoot stuff. 8)