Is PS2 Dodonpachi Daioujou support keyboard?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
irakatz

Is PS2 Dodonpachi Daioujou support keyboard?

Post by irakatz »

Hi all,

I am a PS2 novice, and I only use keyboard to play shumps. Now I want to play Dodonpachi Daioujou PS2 version, and specifically, its DEATHLABEL.
I think this version only exists in PS2, instead of MAME. Although I can play it on some emulators (e.g., PCSX2), I still want to play on a real device (if supported).

But now I worry that PS2 (or just this game) may not support keyboard input, and I have no knowledge of how emulators did it.
Can someone help me?
Starfighter

Re: Is PS2 Dodonpachi Daioujou support keyboard?

Post by Starfighter »

I believe the back cover tells you what peripherals are supported (I've seen "USB keyboard support" on a few), but I don't know japanese so I can't translate the back of DOJ. Doesn't seem like it though!

drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, all that talks about there is basically how much memory card data it uses up and the number of players. Nothing about peripherals.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Yeah, I suspected that from the context, which doesn't bode well since if no special peripherals are supported they leave it out. :(
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

There's a very small selection of games that support keyboard, and it's used primarily for text input. I think it's very unlikely you'd be able to use the keyboard for game control inputs.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You might have to look into something like a "Hitbox" style arcade stick where instead of an actual stick you have four buttons for the movement.

Finding a way to convert a keyboard's inputs to be read as a Playstation 2 controller will be especially difficult if such a thing exists since there used to be a pre-USB input standard for PCs called "PS/2" which is pretty much what floods search results.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Spinning off of that idea, wouldn't it be possible to mod a DualShock 2 controller to have the d-pad respond to any four buttons? Hm... Anyway, the ins and outs of a DualShock 2 is looked at in this thread!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Dunno if something like this exists for PS2 without some custom work being done, but you can get these pretty easily for modern consoles.

https://www.amazon.com/Joystick-Keyboar ... NG81&psc=1
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!