Shmups on Steam Deck (Compatibility list)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Vexorg

Shmups on Steam Deck (Compatibility list)

Post by Vexorg »

(List updated as of 22-DEC-2022)

I just got the notification to purchase a Steam Deck today, and I'm guessing other people here will be getting these soon as well, so I figure it might be a good idea to create a thread for tracking shmup compatibility with Steam deck. At this point Steam Deck is fairly new, so the vast majority of games out there have not yet been tested. For the ones that have been officially tested, Valve is maintaining a compatibility list. Valve has provided a page where, if you are logged into your account, you can see what games in your Steam library have been tested for compatibility:

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/mygames

It appears the most convenient way to keep track of games that are compatible with Steam Deck is through SteamDB. Here is a list of games in the "shoot-em-up" category that are Steam Deck Verified or Steam Deck Playable. Other tags can be filtered here as well (the "Bullet Hell" tag will show some items that may not be on this list.)

Keep in mind that this list is not comprehensive, will likely change over time, and I don't have most of these games in my library to test currently, but from the info I have available currently, I've put together a small list of officially tested games and their statuses. I figure that as people get Steam Decks and can try these out, this list can be updated over time. I don't know if we want to maintain both an official and unofficial list, but we can figure that out as we go along. For the time being I am not including borderliners, but those could possibly be added later if people are interested.

Also note that there are a number of "Adult content" shmups that have been officially compatibility tested by Valve, but I am not including those on this list.

Games tested by Valve:

Verified games (Valve's "Great on Steam Deck" designation, see this page for an updated list:)
- Ikaruga
- Dodonpachi Resurrection
- Sol Cresta
- Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
- Sine Mora EX
- 1993 Space Machine
- Freedom Finger
- Super Galaxy Squad EX Turbo
- Jamestown
- Planes Bullets and Vodka
- R-Type Dimensions EX
- Super Retro Fighter
- Enemy Mind
- Vasara Collection
- Demonizer
- Rival Megagun
- Deathsmiles (Degica released version; note that the new Deathsmiles I and II version released by City Connection is currently listed as unsupported)
- GoBlaster
- Drainus
- Touhou Hero of Ice Fairy: Prologue
- The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
- Crisis Wing
- G-MODEアーカイブス+ 弾幕検定死験-大往生編 (Danmaku kentei shi ken)
- Raging Blasters
- Astebreed Definitive Edition
- Super Hydorah
- Gunlocked
- Moon Dancer
- Dyflexion

Playable games (Typically these games work on Steam Deck but may require tweaking of settings or use of the on-screen keyboard for some functions):
- R-Type Final 2 (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Mushihimesama (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Crimzon Clover World Ignition (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Crimzon Clover World Explosion (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Natsuki Chronicles (The test result cites small text that may be hard to read as the reason for the Playable rating, but I had no issue with this.)
- Sophstar (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck)
- Neptunia Shooter (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck)
- Gunbird (Launcher requires touchscreen interaction, may have hard to read text, local multiplayer with external controller not supported)
- Gryphon Knight Epic (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Chicken Invaders 3 (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Chicken Invaders 5 (Mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Chicken Invaders Universe (Mouse/keyboard controller icons, Onscreen keyboard required for some functions)
- Touhou Tenkuushou - Hidden Star in Four Seasons (Launcher requires touchscreen)
- 東方剛欲異聞 ~ 水没した沈愁地獄 - Touhou Gouyoku Ibun-Submerged Sinking Hell (Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Shinreibyou ~ Ten Desires (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration)
- Touhou Kouryudou ~ Unconnected Marketeers (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Chireiden ~ Subterranean Animism (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Kaeizuka ~ Phantasmagoria of Flower View ((Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English))
- Danmaku Unlimited 2 (Launcher requires touchscreen, Mouse/keyboard controller icons, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, In-game text may be difficult to read)
- Radical Roach Remastered (Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, Mouse/keyboard controller icons, use of external controller may require extra configuration steps)
- Strikers 1945 (Launcher requires touchscreen interaction or may have hard to read text, local multiplayer with external controller not supported)
- ZeroRanger (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck)
- Project Starship X (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck, In-game text may be difficult to read)
- QP Shooting - Dangerous!! (Mouse/keyboard icons, does not default to Steam deck native resolution)
- Flying Red Barrel - The Diary of a Little Aviator (Mouse/keyboard controller icons, does not default to Steam deck native resolution)
- Arcade Game Series - Galaga (Mouse/keyboard icons, may require touchscreen or virtual keyboard use)
- Hellsinker (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck, launcher may require touchscreen use)
- G-Darius HD (Mouse/keyboard icons, In-game text may be difficult to read)
- Spark & Sparkle (Does not support native resolution of Steam Deck)
- LinearShooter Remixed (Mouse/keyboard icons, may require onscreen keyboard use)
- CosmoDreamer (Mouse/keyboard icons, some functionality not accessible in default controller configuration)
- Flying Red Barrel - The Diary of a Little Aviator (Mouse/keyboard icons, Display resolution may need to be set manually)
- Trouble Witches Origin - Episode 1 Daughters of Amalgam (Some mouse/keyboard controller icons)\
- Operation STEEL ( Some functionality may require touchscreen or on screen keyboard, some text may be hard to read)
- Satazius (Some functionaltiy not available with default controller configuration)
- IKUSAAAAAAAN! (Some functionaltiy not available with default controller configuration)
- Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (Mouse/keyboard controller icons, some text may be hard to read)
- Black Market of Bulletphilia ~ 100th Black Market (Native resolution not supported, some text may be hard to read, English language not supported)
- 東方実在相 ~ Dream Logical World (Native resolution not supported, some graphical glitches, Launcher may require touchscreen)
- Raptor: Call of The Shadows - 2015 Edition (Native resolution not set by default, some functionality requires onscreen keyboard, some text may be hard to read)

Unsupported games (Cannot run currently on Steam Deck):
- Jamestown+
- Jets 'n Guns 2
- Raiden Legacy - Steam Edition
- Touhou Makuka Sai - Fantastic Danmaku Festival
- eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
- Mobile Astro
- Touhou Kishinjou - Double Dealing Character
- Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics (Konami) - You're probably better off emulating the games in this pack anyway.
- 東方鬼形獣 〜 Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. (Touhou Kikeijuu - The non-Steam version is reported to work)
- Caladrius Blaze
- Hifuu Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector.
- Deathsmiles I・II (City Connection version - Note that the earlier Degica version of Deathsmiles is verified)
- Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender
- Shmup Creator
- Hell Blasters
- Cosmonator

Unofficial testing results:

- Astebreed Definitive Edition: (Promoted to official "Verified" status)
- Eschatos: Shows a "DirectX in debug mode" warning dialog on start, but performance is smooth. The menu button above the right stick functions as the start button. Defaults to 640x480 resolution, for best display quality you need to manually set it to 1280x800.
- Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special: When the game is started you have to go through a configuration screen using touchpad control (select 1280x800 resolution and fullscreen for best results) but it otherwise runs and plays fine. Would probably earn a "playable" rating in official testing.
- Gundemonium Recollection: Seems to play just fine, no control or performance issues observed.
- GundeadliGne: Needs some controller configuration tweaks, starting a game invokes (and controls) both players. A fair bit of slowdown in game, although I'm not sure how much of it is the game and how much is the Steam Deck.
- Judgment Silversword: Also works well with no control or performance issues.
- Operation STEEL: (Promoted to official "Playable" status.)
- Raiden V Directors Cut: FMV cutscenes have a lot of flickering (likely will improve with compatibility updates) but the game itself is playable with good performance and no control issues. Bullets can be hard to see on the small screen, and in game text is hard to read.
- Trouble Witches Origin: (Promoted to official "Playable" status)
- ZeroRanger: (promoted to official "playable" status.)
- GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION: Works well, but shows a configuration screen on startup.
- Natsuki Chronicles: Officially this is listed as Playable with the listing saying some text may be hard to read, but I did not encounter any problems with this while playing or in menus (spoken dialogue is in Japanese, and you'll probably be too busy dodging bullets to read much of the in-game subtitles anyway.) This particular criteria seems to be rather subjective; I've found "Verified" games where the text was smaller than the text in this game. Performance is quite good.
- Ginga Force: Also seems to work well. Good performance, no control or graphical issues observed. Might also get dinged for the same small text issues as Natsuki Chronicles, but again I had no trouble with this.
- Astro Tripper: seems to work with no issues on my Steam Deck. You may need to change the screen resolution for best results.
Last edited by Vexorg on Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 50 times in total.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
To Far Away Times

Re: Shmups on Steam Deck (Compatibility list)

Post by To Far Away Times »

With any luck I should have mine tomorrow, I can test some stuff.

I've seen videos of Touhou games running on it, and then of course you also have all the emulators you can run on it. Retroarch has a linux version.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

I have one, if someone wants me to test anything. Mushi seemed to work alright for me in terms of how it runs, but the main issue for shmups is:

The D-Pad is sortof garbage. It's very mushy and inexact, and not what you want to use for shmups at all. You could use an external controller, but that's probably not how you want to use a steam deck.

It's real nice for non-shmups with typical analog controls though.

TL;DR: Dpad is bad. If you buy a steamdeck for shmups you will be dissapointed. If you however want to play other stuff, you will be happy. MGR plays great!

velo

Post by velo »

If Nex Machina works, they might be able to sell me one of these.

(Typing of the Dead Overkill is "unsupported"?! get your shit together, Valve)
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

I mean, playing typing of the dead with an onscreen keyboard covering most of the screen sounds suboptimal
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

I just cancelled my 256GB Steam Deck reservation, so not gonna be much help here.

The Youtube videos i've been watching lately have really put me off buying one... Too many units with sticking buttons and faulty screens. I don't want to drop £450 on something, only to have to return it for repairs day 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56TfH87uJEA&t

Just gonna wait and hope the price of graphics cards and CPUs drop next year.
To Far Away Times

I did some testing. PS3 emulation is rock solid, atleast on what I tried.

Outrun 2, Hard Corps Uprising, and After Burner Climax are a solid 60 fps. I've never tried PS3 emulation before, I was blown away.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

My Steam Deck arrived today, I will start testing some of the games I've got in my library and post updates. Testing results so far:

- Eschatos: Shows a "DirectX in debug mode" warning dialog on start, and the viewport is a bit small, but gameplay is smooth. The menu button above the right stick functions as the start button.
- Trouble Witches Origin: Good performance, seems to work pretty well.
- Gundemonium Recollection: Seems to play just fine.
- GundeadliGne: Probably needs some controller tweaks, starting a game invokes (and controls) both players. A fair bit of slowdown in game, although I'm not sure how much of it is the game and how much is the Steam Deck.

Will update here and on the main post as I get a chance to try more stuff.
To Far Away Times

I managed to get ZeroRanger working on Steam Deck but it was a convoluted process. The game does not work on any of the proton drivers in SteamOS as of right now.

You need a program called Lutris, which allows you to run Windows games on Linux. It ask you to install wine and vulkan drivers. Then there are several options for how to install, you want to use the user created scripts to install games. Search ZeroRanger and one option will come up. You'll need to install the itch.io demo version, no other version will work. After installing the demo version you can copy over all the files from the full itch.io version and overwrite existing files. Lastly, you can click on the newly installed ZeroRanger game in Lutris and create an icon on the desktop to launch the game directly without having to manually go through Lutris. The icon can be added as a non steam game, and voila, you can use the full version of ZeroRanger in the non-desktop mode.

I like doing this sort of tinkering, but it was a couple hours to figure it all out. Posting this so that maybe it will be helpful for someone in the future.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

A couple more tests:

- Astebreed Definitive Edition: Works very well, no performance or control issues observed.
- Judgment Silver sword: Also works well with no control or performance issues.
- Raiden V Directors Cut: FMV cutscenes have a lot of flickering (likely will improve with compatibility updates) but the game itself is playable with good performance and no control issues. Bullets can be hard to see on the small screen, and in game text is hard to read.

That is just about all I have in my library right now. If there are any developers who would like their games tested, PM me and I can arrange to do so. I work as a QA Engineer for my day job, so I have good experience with providing feedback and describing bugs.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Whats your opinion on actually playing them though?
I find the steamdeck dpad basically unusable for shmups
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Buffi wrote:Whats your opinion on actually playing them though?
I find the steamdeck dpad basically unusable for shmups
Could you elaborate on what you don't like, how it feels, etc? I've been really curious about the d-pad on this thing.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I don't really have an issue with the D-pad itself, but the placement makes it really hard to use.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Vexorg wrote: Unofficial testing results:
-ZeroRanger: Does not work with Proton, may be playable using alternate means (see below post for details)
I have been running ZeroRanger in Linux under wine pleasantly for several years now. What seems to make the game crash on startup is needing d3dcompiler43. I made a WineHQ article detailing how I ran the game. Proton is very similar to wine, and the deck can probably run wine too, so this may be worth looking at.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Regarding the D-Pad, is it a mushy D-Pad without a physical response when pressed, or does it have physical switches underneath it to produce a tactile response?

Examples of clicky D-Pads with switches underneath: GBA SP, original DS, PS Vita, DSi XL, Launch window Xbox One controller (metal domes used), Xbox Series controllers

On handhelds especially where D-Pad size is at a premium, I find these extra switches to make a world of difference. What tends to let them down is the placement - for example while the 3DS D-Pad is actually pretty good, it's in an awkward position which forces you to use the joint of your thumb rather than the tip of it.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

harborline765 wrote:Regarding the D-Pad, is it a mushy D-Pad without a physical response when pressed, or does it have physical switches underneath it to produce a tactile response?
Its a mushy dpad without any tactile response whatsoever. I find it mushy and inexact, and when moving around it feels hard to know when it will actuate/stop actuating different directions or something.

Also yes, this is basically what my complaint is. Launch Xbox One is my fav current dpad and it feels real tactile and exact.

Best description I'd have is that its a little bit like a dual shock 4, but with a big cross instead of the buttons divided up, which somehow makes the presses feel exact due to the lack of click/other response.

edit: I actually don't mind the placement much though.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Damn, that's what I feared.

Omitting switches under the inputs is definitely a cost-cutting thing as much as a design oversight, since the 2DS and Switch Lite were both the first Nintendo handhelds since the Game Boy Advance SP to lose the switches in a bid to cut costs. Heck the Switch Lite even went further and went back to embossing the button letters on the buttons themselves, rather than embedding them inside the button, if that makes sense.

I'm glad the original Xbox One controller has its fans - always thought its D-Pad was rather unsung. Later controller revisions just weren't as good, maybe because the metal domes were too loud. I'm impressed with the Series X controller's D-Pad though, very precise and exacting.
To Far Away Times

Its a mushy D Pad, its not microswitched, but it seems pretty accurate. For what its worth I played some Guilty Gear on it and was pulling off all my inputs with no drops. Its not an elite D Pad but its also not something I think about while playing or feel like it detracts from the experience. Solidly average, I guess. I play most of my shmups on a mushy ps1 D Pad, so I have no problems with it.

The face buttons have a bit too much travel for my taste, I tend to like really short travel on my buttons. Overall, the controller is solid and serviceable, but maybe a bit less good than a Series X or PlayStation controller, which are two of the best ever. Maybe like a 7/10?
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I haven't tried connecting any Bluetooth controllers to my Steam Deck yet, but I imagine a Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controller would work just fine with it. Once I can dig it out of the closet and come up with a way to hold the deck in vertical position I'm also planning to try connecting my Xbox 360 Tournament Edition Fightstick to my Steam Deck to try playing games in TATE mode. It would require using a USB-C hub but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Also one more compatibility test:
- Operation STEEL: Plays well, control and performance are good. For best results, go to the options menu and set the fullscreen option to on.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

And to confirm the above I found my Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controller this morning (earlier revisions don't have Bluetooth support), connected it to my Steam Deck, and confirmed that it pairs and functions exactly as expected (using Xbox controllers with Steam games is a common enough scenario that I'm pretty certain Valve would make sure this works.) Now all I need is a good way to hold the Deck in vertical orientation and you could make a nice little portable TATE mode setup out of this.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Vexorg wrote:And to confirm the above I found my Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controller this morning (earlier revisions don't have Bluetooth support), connected it to my Steam Deck, and confirmed that it pairs and functions exactly as expected (using Xbox controllers with Steam games is a common enough scenario that I'm pretty certain Valve would make sure this works.) Now all I need is a good way to hold the Deck in vertical orientation and you could make a nice little portable TATE mode setup out of this.
Not super portable with the joystick but the tripod they are using seems to be what you are looking for.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comm ... _my_setup/

I wonder how it would go with one of the telscoping bluetooth controller for phones so you could do a flip grip type setup.
Something like this
https://www.gadgets4geeks.com.au/ipega- ... controller
greg

Post by greg »

Unless I am mistaken, Steam Decks are essentially Linux systems. Am I incorrect?

I migrated to Linux over 2 years ago and I use the Proton Database to investigate compatibility. Since I didn't see anybody link to it above, here it is.

https://www.protondb.com/

Anything listed under SteamOS should work by default, I imagine. Steam is pretty good about giving refunds for games that won't work with your system. I tried out Cotton Reboot and unfortunately couldn't get it to work. Ikaruga, Cave Games, Natsuki Chronicles, Wings of Bluestar, Caladrius, Crimzon Clover, and many other games work fine for my Linux desktop via the Proton utility. Lately I've been playing the crap out of Wild Guns Reloaded and Blaster Master Zero. My daughter enjoys playing Touhou games.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

One more game tested:

- Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special: When the game is started you have to go through a configuration screen with touchpad control (select 1280x800 resolution and fullscreen for best results) but it otherwise runs and plays fine. Would probably earn a "playable" rating in official testing.
greg

Post by greg »

Vexorg wrote:One more game tested:

- Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special: When the game is started you have to go through a configuration screen with touchpad control (select 1280x800 resolution and fullscreen for best results) but it otherwise runs and plays fine. Would probably earn a "playable" rating in official testing.
You can add this information to the Proton DB. Here's its listing:
https://www.protondb.com/app/663130
It's received good reviews for Linux compatibility, but as you can see it says there are no reports yet for Steam Deck. Your input will be helpful to others. Actually, I wasn't aware of this game on Steam! I'll have to add it to my wishlist.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I will try to set up on ProtonDB once I get a chance. I see that adding Steam Deck info requires signing into ProtonDB from the Steam Deck itself in desktop mode, so I'll try to figure this out later tonight.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Apparently using the in-built FPS cap option increases latency from button to photon. I read that latency doubles (33ms to 75ms) going from the cap being off and having the cap set to 60fps, and the effect is even worse (45ms to 110ms) when outputting to an external display like a TV

Can anyone test this with some shmups? The game in question from the results above was Rogue Legacy 2.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

harborline765 wrote:Apparently using the in-built FPS cap option increases latency from button to photon. I read that latency doubles (33ms to 75ms) going from the cap being off and having the cap set to 60fps, and the effect is even worse (45ms to 110ms) when outputting to an external display like a TV

Can anyone test this with some shmups? The game in question from the results above was Rogue Legacy 2.
I don't know how to measure this, but can try this out in a few games if I can get a repeatable test to use. That said, So far I haven't felt a need to use the FPS cap for any of the games I've tried.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

More information here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comm ... iter_adds/
Upcapped: 31.8ms
60fps cap: 75.8ms
30fps cap: 145.9ms
50hz/uncapped: 32.5ms
50hz/50fps cap: 94.2ms
50hz/25fps cap: 186.1ms
40hz/uncapped: 34.3ms
40hz/40fps cap: 121.1ms
40hz/20fps cap: 232.0ms
I tested Rocket League a little more. When the in-game framerate cap is set to 30fps, there’s about 64ms of input latency. When the Deck’s built-in framerate limiter is set to 30fps (with RL set to uncapped), the latency is 145ms. This is consistent with my Rogue Legacy 2 timings.
There isn't an issue if the game itself lets you limit the framerate to 60fps or 30fps, but if you use the Steam Deck's built-in limiter you get horrendous amounts of added latency.
Last edited by harborline765 on Mon May 02, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

To Far Away Times

I'm not hypersensitive to input lag, but I can feel the difference between really good input lag at 3 frames and edge of acceptable at 6 frames. Bascially no more lag than a Psykio shit port and its fine.

That being said the Steam Deck is in line with modern displays and doesn't seem any noticeably different. Its not CRT snappy, but no modern display is. In other words, even with an emulation layer like retroarch, games are completely fine.