Shmups on Steam Deck (Compatibility list)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
harborline765

Re: Shmups on Steam Deck (Compatibility list)

Post by harborline765 »

That doesn't really get to the crux of the issue. It seems when you enable GameScope's framerate limiter to lock the Deck to 60fps or 30fps, either for battery life reasons or because it's not hitting a stable 60fps, there's a significant amount of added input latency.

Without using GameScope the latency results look good.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

How do FPS caps through things like AMD software or Nvidia software on a typical windows desktop compare in terms of input lag?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Higher FPS rates generally result in reduced input lag in a properly configured, so long as the game you're playing can run at the higher FPS. I've got a monitor and NVidia GPU that support 144 FPS; it's noticeably more responsive in Judgement Silversword and Rolling Gunner. They're not what I'd call laggy when played at 60 FPS, but playing at the higher refresh rate does feel "snappier".

To be honest I play a lot of stuff at 60 FPS now just for compatibility reasons (I have a lot of older games that don't handle 144 FPS properly and run too fast). There's no easy way I've found to switch between the refresh rates quickly and easily. :(
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Added a few games to the official list:

Verified games:
- Super Retro Fighter
- Enemy Mind

Playable games:
- Natsuki Chronicles
- Sophstar
- Neptunia Shooter

Unsupported games:
- Jets 'n Guns 2
- Raiden Legacy - Steam Edition
- Touhou Makuka Sai - Fantastic Danmaku Festival
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

I'll add that GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION works just fine. It would probably be on the verified list if it didn't have a pre-launch window for game settings.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Firehawke wrote:I'll add that GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION works just fine. It would probably be on the verified list if it didn't have a pre-launch window for game settings.
Thanks, I'll add it to the list. From what I've seen a configuration window like that will generally put something into the "Playable" category, but in most cases won't affect gameplay (mostly because it usually requires mouse input, which can be done from the touchscreen.)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Two additions to the official support list: Gunbird and Gryphon Knight Epic now listed as Steam Deck playable.

Also, for an up to date list, it seems like the most convenient source of info I've found on compatibility testing is SteamDB, which is a lot easier to search on than Steam itself. Here is a link to the list of games in the "Shoot Em Up" category with Steam Deck Verified or Steam Deck Playable status. Note that SteamDB is also a good source for playable and verified run-and-gun and arena shooter type games, which are outside of the scope of this list but might be of interest to people here.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Looks like a few more additions have been made to the officially supported lists:

Verified:
- Vasara Collection

Playable:
- Chicken Invaders 3
- Chicken Invaders 5
- Chicken Invaders Universe
- Touhou Tenkuushou - Hidden Star in Four Seasons
- 東方剛欲異聞 ~ 水没した沈愁地獄 (Touhou Gouyoku Ibun-Submerged Sinking Hell)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

A couple more updates from SteamDB:

Verified:
- Demonizer

Playable:
- Danmaku Unlimited 2
- Radical Roach Remastered

Unsupported:
- eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The only "issue" with Sophstar is that the screen resolution isn't 1:1 with Steam Deck resolution. It's fully playable but you'll get some borders. That's at least what I got from Valve itself.

I would love to see it running on Steam Deck to see what it's like.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Shatterhand wrote:The only "issue" with Sophstar is that the screen resolution isn't 1:1 with Steam Deck resolution. It's fully playable but you'll get some borders. That's at least what I got from Valve itself.

If you would like I can do some testing on my Steam Deck and report back on how it runs. I don't think there's a way to capture video directly from the deck, but I could also set up a camera to record some video as well.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Some more updates to the official compatibility list:

Verified:
- Deathsmiles
- Rival Megagun

Playable:
- Crimzon Clover World Ignition (Note that World Explosion is separate, and already shows Playable status)
- Strikers 1945
- ZeroRanger (Note that this game was previously unofficially reported to have compatibility issues.)

Unsupported:
- Mobile Astro
- Touhou Kishinjou - Double Dealing Character
- Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics (Konami)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Vexorg wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:The only "issue" with Sophstar is that the screen resolution isn't 1:1 with Steam Deck resolution. It's fully playable but you'll get some borders. That's at least what I got from Valve itself.

If you would like I can do some testing on my Steam Deck and report back on how it runs. I don't think there's a way to capture video directly from the deck, but I could also set up a camera to record some video as well.
That would be really cool to see. If it's not too much work for you, I'd be really grateful :)
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

A few more updates to the official playable list:

Verified:
- GoBlaster

Playable:
- Project Starship X
- Touhou Shinreibyou - Ten Desires

Another note on the official compatibility lists: There appear to be a number of "adult content" shmups in verified or playable state as well, but I do not plan to include those on the compatibility list. Just be aware that one-handed control schemes will likely require custom configuration.

Also, picked up a couple more games to try out on my own:
- Natsuki Chronicles: Officially this is listed as Playable with the listing saying some text may be hard to read, but I did not encounter any problems with this while playing or in menus (spoken dialogue is in Japanese, and you'll probably be too busy dodging bullets to read much of the in-game subtitles anyway.) This particular criteria seems to be rather subjective; I've found "Verified" games where the text was smaller than the text in this game. Performance is quite good.
- Ginga Force: Also seems to work well. Good performance, no glitches observed. Might also get dinged for the same small text issues as Natsuki Chronicles, but again I had no trouble with this.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Crisis Wing did pass Steam's internal Steam Deck compatibility test.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I was able to get Touhou 15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom running on it, but not only that, I was able to get it running with a fan made, in game spell practice mode that's not in the normal game.

There's a program called THPrac (not to be confused with THCrap) that adds it in, you just need to be on the 1.00b update and put the file in the same folder as the th15.exe, and add the THPrac file as a non steam game.

I was surprised that it worked.

Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Sci-fi Assault Mothership Beluga 16-bit edition successfully ran on Steam Deck with Lutris. Ran as a 32 bit wine application; will edit post with more details later. By default, you will need to open the keyboard and hit 'space' to select resolution and start the game, and there's no easy way to return to the main menu within a game (although pausing works), but otherwise everything works, including running a replay I recorded on a different computer.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I don't think the official compatibility lists have changed much in a while though, which is why there haven't been many updates. That said, it appears that quite a bit has been updated recently:

Updated Official testing results:
Verified:
- Drainus
- Touhou Hero of Ice Fairy: Prologue
- The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
- Crisis Wing
- G-MODEアーカイブス+ 弾幕検定死験-大往生編 (Danmaku kentei shi ken)

Playable:
- QP Shooting - Dangerous!!
- Flying Red Barrel - The Diary of a Little Aviator
- Arcade Game Series - Galaga
- Hellsinker
- G-Darius HD
- Spark & Sparkle
- LinearShooter Remixed

Unsupported:
- 東方鬼形獣 〜 Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. (Touhou Kikeijuu)
- Caladrius Blaze
- Hifuu Nightmare Diary ~ Violet Detector.
- Deathsmiles I・II (City Connection version - Note that the earlier Degica version of Deathsmiles is verified)
- Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender
- Shmup Creator

Unofficial testing:
- Astro Tripper: seems to work with no issues on my Steam Deck. You may need to change the screen resolution for best results (which would probably give this "playable" status).
To Far Away Times

Wily Beast and Weakest Creature works well. Though I played the non steam version and added it as a non steam game.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Assault Shell (Itch v2.29) works (edit:) usually okay* for me (Added as 3rd party windows game using Lutris and the game runs on wine) *sometime d-pad does not work when I launch the game...
Graze Counter (Steam) runs, but window is too large and is cut off (runnable, unplayable)
Kez

Post by Kez »

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus: Managed to get this working - though it was a bit of a hassle. What worked for me was, I downloaded it from itch.io and installed it via Lutris. When you load the game there is a yes/no prompt and hitting no launches it in windowed mode. Full screen mode didn't work properly for me. When you run a windowed game via the Steam launcher it will then just be full screen anyway.

To avoid the yes/no prompt, there is a file called custom.dat - normally you edit this by running custom.exe but I couldn't get that to launch via WINE, so instead I just edited the file which is located at file/custom.dat in the install directory. If you change the contents of this file to:

Code: Select all

1 0
The game will automatically launch into windowed mode with no prompts.

I have had the Deck for a few months now, I am liking it. I am a bit of a tinkerer though so it's a good fit, I have managed to get pretty much anything I wanted running with a little bit of messing around. I echo other people's comments about the d-pad though, I do find that both the stick and the d-pad are not that satisfying for shmups but I have gotten used to it.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

To my surprise, I actually find the d-pad to be quite good. I mean that both in terms of placement and feel. It's no Saturn or Vita d-pad, but I think it's pretty good in the grand scheme of things.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

It's been a while since the list was updated, so I went through and added a number of games:

Verified:
- Raging Blasters
- Astebreed Definitive Edition
- Super Hydorah
- Gunlocked
- Moon Dancer
- Dyflexion

Playable:
- Touhou Kouryudou ~ Unconnected Marketeers (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Chireiden ~ Subterranean Animism (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- Touhou Kaeizuka ~ Phantasmagoria of Flower View (Launcher requires touchscreen, Does not support native resolution, Some functionality not available with default controller configuration, not localized to English)
- CosmoDreamer (Mouse/keyboard icons, some functionality not accessible in default controller configuration)
- Flying Red Barrel - The Diary of a Little Aviator (Mouse/keyboard icons, Display resolution may need to be set manually)
- Trouble Witches Origin - Episode 1 Daughters of Amalgam (Some mouse/keyboard controller icons)
- Operation STEEL ( Some functionality may require touchscreen or on screen keyboard, some text may be hard to read)
- Satazius (Some functionaltiy not available with default controller configuration)
- IKUSAAAAAAAN! (Some functionaltiy not available with default controller configuration)
- Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (Mouse/keyboard controller icons, some text may be hard to read)
- Black Market of Bulletphilia ~ 100th Black Market (Native resolution not supported, some text may be hard to read, Not localized to English)
- 東方実在相 ~ Dream Logical World (Native resolution not supported, some graphical glitches, Launcher may require touchscreen)
- Raptor: Call of The Shadows - 2015 Edition (Native resolution not set by default, some functionality requires onscreen keyboard, some text may be hard to read)

Unsupported:
- Hell Blasters
- Cosmonator

In my experience with some of the games added to the official compatibility lists, it seems that Valve will tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to putting games in "Playable" versus "Verified" status. Your mileage, of course, may vary.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Battle Crust (on the yet to be verified list) installs and plays well. The d-pad and buttons work as expected. I haven't seen any issues after a few hours.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

I saw Caladrius Blaze listed under "Cannot run currently on Steam Deck" and I wanted to report it runs perfectly for me. Also nice in general on Deck to finally get the option to turn off triple buffering with the "Allow Tearing" option.
To Far Away Times

I can't get Darius Cozmic Arcade to run with sound. I've tried reinstalling the game, restarting the deck, headphones and no headphones and disabling bluetooth.

The game is Steam Deck verified. I went into the sound options, doesn't look like sound is disabled in any way.

What's weird is the game has no sound, but when a new achievement pops up, the steam UI plays a sound effect for it just fine.

Edit: I figured it out. The game launches muted. Going into desktop mode allows you to click the mute icon and then the sound will work on gaming mode after that.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Does anyone have any recommendations for shmups that are especially nice to play on the steam deck?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Try Kamui, Andro Dunos 2 (run in 3x window for proper scaling), Infinos Gaiden (also run in 3x window for proper scaling; configuration tool will display broken text if you set your system language to Japanese, but it works properly aside from that), Raiden IV x Mikado, Ray'z, DDP Daifukkatsu, Eschatos, and Crimzon Clover. All of those work flawlessly, aside from some weirdness in Ray'z with the strange gradient background not displaying properly, but it's just the background, so nobody cares. Kamui is both extremely excellent in all aspects and PC-exclusive, so you pretty much need it. I'd say Out Zone, but the audio is still kind of broken.

If you have the OLED, Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins will run at the proper WonderSwan 75FPS, which is really cool. You can't actually set the screen to 75Hz or FPS, as it skips from 73 to 76 for some reason, but they play fine at 75FPS at 90Hz.

I haven't gotten Raiden III x Mikado to even launch yet, so probably best to stay away from that one for now. Shitty Connection Deathsmiles got verified a while ago, so that probably is fine, but I (still) don't have that.

Not related to any of this, but most of the discussion here seems to predate the addition of the option "allow tearing", which will supposedly reduce input lag. I've never tried playing anything with this turned off, but everything I have tried feels fine with allow tearing enabled. I'm extremely insensitive to lag and won't generally notice it unless it's about 7 frames or higher at 60FPS, but it seems fine to me.

Also not related, but Valve says the OLED has a better d-pad than the LCD.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Wow, Steven, this is an amazingly helpful post and I plan to check everything out soon. Well, I’m saving the system (oled) for Christmas, so it’ll be a bit before I get to play any of these. But this is outstanding—thanks much!
Steven

Post by Steven »

You may find weird stuff that doesn't work properly for seemingly no reason (there is a reason: Linux/Proton), like how Darius Cozmic Collection doesn't launch at all if the language is set to Japanese (lol why????????????), but most things that I have tried work on the newest official Proton release. Sometimes you may also hear audio noise in some games, but sometimes not. Restarting the game can sometimes fix the audio noise.

Some things just don't play well with the system's controls, but the only thing that I have tried that actually doesn't work at all is Raiden III x Mikado, which crashes immediately upon launching. The next worst is iM@S Starlit Season, which is pretty much unplayable due to frequent crashes. Other than that, everything seems to work, although some games that don't support console controllers can be annoying to play with the touchpads. Pretty much every compatibility problem you might have with any game will most likely be fixed if you install Windows, but you probably shouldn't do that.