best version of r-type i & ii

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
professor ganson

best version of r-type i & ii

Post by professor ganson »

First: what versions are there? There are PCE hu-card and cd versions, but I don't know what differences there are between these, if any. There's also r-types for PS1, and r-type dx for GBC. Any other console versions?
Are there interesting differences between the console versions? Which do you prefer?
Thanks!!!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Check out Hardcore Gaming 101's page about R-Type, it should answer your questions nicely.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
elvis

Post by elvis »

Whilst not strictly on topic, my favourite was R-Type III on SNES. It just felt so much more "charged" than the other ports, and the whole mode-7 thing throughout the entire game was really cool.

Otherwise the original on arcade would be my second choice.

[EDIT] And it looks like the author of that link above agrees with me. There's a first. :)
Last edited by elvis on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

If you have a PSone, go for R-Types. Best versions of R-Type 1 & 2, and the R's Best re-release is cheap.

If you have a PCEngine, go for R-Type Complete CD to get the full version of R-Type 1.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Best version of 1 is, IMO, definately the Master System port. It has an extra stage!

And Super R-Type, for the SNES/SFC blows arcade R-Type II out of the water, IMO-it's superior sound and graphics are amazing!

If you have a PS1 or PS2, then, yeah, go for the collection-but only if you have no way of playing the aforementioned ports of these two classic shmups.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Is It just me or Is R-Type onthe PCE rather easy? (Or Is there an option menu somwhere that I come across to change the difficulty)

I mean the first boss can be destroyed with a single charged shot!

The PSX port Is the version to get.
elvis

Post by elvis »

dave4shmups wrote:And Super R-Type, for the SNES/SFC blows arcade R-Type II out of the water, IMO-it's superior sound and graphics are amazing!
Shame about the extremely annoying slowdown. That makes the game unplayable at times. Give me "III" any day over "Super".
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

[quote="elvis"][quote="dave4shmups"]And Super R-Type, for the SNES/SFC blows arcade R-Type II out of the water, IMO-it's superior sound and graphics are amazing![/quote]

Shame about the extremely annoying slowdown. That makes the game unplayable at times. Give me "III" any day over "Super".[/quote]

Also the lack of checkpoints thus you have to go back to the beginning of the level :x
professor ganson

That link from Ghegs is useful. I sometimes forget that the Sega Master System exists. :oops:

Why is r-type 3 so damn rare? I have Super R-type, and I see it for sale all over the place. The only version of R-type III I've found is that useless GBA one, which I bought and then sold.

I'm still on the fence about whether to get the PS1 or PCE versions of I and II. R-type Complete for PCE CD seems especially cool.
elvis

Post by elvis »

professor ganson wrote:Why is r-type 3 so damn rare? I have Super R-type, and I see it for sale all over the place. The only version of R-type III I've found is that useless GBA one, which I bought and then sold.
Super R-Type was one of the very first batch of SNES games that was slotted for release-day (along with Sim City, Final Fight, F-Zero, Super Tennis, etc). Being an early game was the reason it had the slowdown, as programmers weren't used to the hardware yet (same reason why SNES Final Fight was missing "Guy").

R-Type III came towards the end of the SNES's life, and by that stage the world was platformer and 2D fighter crazy. If you weren't a Donkey Kong Country or Street Fighter II / Killer Instinct ripoff, your game just didn't sell. I would say the game probably had more success in Japan (as is typical of all shooters).

I couldn't even find a copy locally for myself when the SNES was in. I had a disk copier system, and the only place I could get a copy was from dodgey a Hong Kong store on floppy! Sad, considering how great the game was.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

R-Type II (Arcade version) was never released on the PC-Engine. The so-called R-Type I and II on the PCE are just the first arcade game, split up into two halves.

Get the PSX version if you want both Arcade games.
CIT

Post by CIT »

@professor ganson:

IMO the R-Types to get are:

- R-Types, PSX. Arcade perfect ports of R-Type and R-Type II on one disk, can't go wrong here.

- R-Type Leo, PCB. Was never ported, but personally it's my favorite.

- R-Type III, SNES. Arguably the best R-Type game and best shooter on SNES.

- R-Type Delta, PSX.

- R-Type Final, PS2.

The PC-Engine has a near arcade perfect port of R-Type, but it was split into two Hu-Cards (the confusing R-Type I and R-Type II), because of memory constraints. NEC expanded the Hu-Card memory by the US release, so the Turbografx-16 version of R-Type is the whole game on one card. Couple years later R-Type Complete CD was released for PC-Engine, but actually I don't think it's such an improvement. They added weird cutscenes, and the soundtrack is all different.

So yeah, I think R-Types is the best version to get. Plus it's like the same price as R-Type Complete CD, but you get two games.
dave4shmups wrote:Best version of 1 is, IMO, definately the Master System port. It has an extra stage!

And Super R-Type, for the SNES/SFC blows arcade R-Type II out of the water, IMO-it's superior sound and graphics are amazing!
Wow, I can't agree with any of this. Okay, the Master System port is quite good, but only as far as Master System ports are concerned. Don't really see why one would have to play this, if there's a perfect port on PlayStation.

And Super R-Type... so much is wrong with this game. The slowdown and flickering is absolutely unbearable and make the gameplay slow like mollasses. And the graphics are not better than R-Type II, I mean they just took the awesome water effect out of stage 2 (3 on SNES). Plus the checkpoints are absolutely unfair in the SNES version.
Neo Rasa

Post by Neo Rasa »

I think I almost prefer R-Type DX to Super R-Type. :P

As far as readily available ones go, to me R-Types is the one to get.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ... pe-msx.jpg

Why is today's game cover artwork so awful?
elvis

Post by elvis »

Neo Rasa wrote:Why is today's game cover artwork so awful?
1) American cover art looks awful, and it always has. The Japanese stuff always looks better.

2) Back in the day, your spaceship was defined by a 10x10 grid of pixels. Hand-drawing cover art artists had far more leway in using their imagination to come up with cool art. Nowadays, it's all 3D stuff from the game. Snore.
Neo Rasa

Post by Neo Rasa »

The one exception is the Castlevania series, the majority of the time they had different covers in the US the US ones were better.
bVork

Post by bVork »

http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/ ... 136605.jpg
http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/ ... 817345.jpg

Silver shield with symbols and a cutaway to the gold of the cartridge versus a gargantuan Link with Down's Syndrome.

But if you need more evidence that western box art isn't crap, here's one:

http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/ ... 745944.jpg

Oh, and how about Ikaruga's Japanese GameCube cover art? "Frothing Demand" aside, the western art stays closer to the original DC art.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Wow, I didn't know there was an SNES R-Type III; I thought there was just Super R-Type! I'll definately have to check that one out!
Farewell to hollow words
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

M0nk3y wrote:If you have a PSone, go for R-Types. Best versions of R-Type 1 & 2, and the R's Best re-release is cheap.

If you have a PCEngine, go for R-Type Complete CD to get the full version of R-Type 1.

I agree completely.

Also, where are those pics of the US release of Dungeon Explorer (Turbo/PC-Engine)
professor ganson

Seven Force wrote: So yeah, I think R-Types is the best version to get. Plus it's like the same price as R-Type Complete CD, but you get two games.
Cool, I've played R-types for PS1 and I thought it was great. Liked it so much that I wanted a mint copy rather than the scratched up one I found in the local shop. I just wanted to make sure there weren't better versions out there before I hunt down a copy. Thanks!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

dave4shmups wrote:Wow, I didn't know there was an SNES R-Type III; I thought there was just Super R-Type! I'll definately have to check that one out!
Darn, I don't want to say this but you've got problems. There's no way for someone who posts in every other thread in this forum for about two years to not know about the original R-Type 3. I recommend you stop looking at obscure and shizzy games and start looking for real games.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

^
:lol:
+1!

Yea, R-Type III is really good. Almost on the same page as Pulstar.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Have to agree on the Super R-Type thing, though despite the slowdown the visuals, cool music and re-designed battleship ateg made it much better than 2.

Is it only me that thinks R-Type 3 sucks? Feels boring, empty and weird to me, even the force-less Leo feels more R-Type than 3.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Shit, just read up on the page mentioned earlier. I knew in my younger years I'd seen an R-Type cab with the Nintendo logo on there but was starting to wonder whether or not I'd dreamed it. And how suck is that US flyer for the original?
professor ganson

Marc wrote:Is it only me that thinks R-Type 3 sucks? Feels boring, empty and weird to me, even the force-less Leo feels more R-Type than 3.
It's not just you. Leo is the only R-Type game I haven't played, and I would say R-Type 3 is the only one I really disliked. But then again I played the GBA version. That game was just frustrating and boring. Blah.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Wow, I didn't know there was an SNES R-Type III; I thought there was just Super R-Type! I'll definately have to check that one out!
Darn, I don't want to say this but you've got problems. There's no way for someone who posts in every other thread in this forum for about two years to not know about the original R-Type 3. I recommend you stop looking at obscure and shizzy games and start looking for real games.
And I reccommend that you and others on this forum quit being so condescending and insulting. Start by working on your own problems before pointing the finger at someone else constantly. I never even owned an SNES as a kid, so I always thought that Super R-Type=R-Type 3. And I'll look at whatever games I darn well please; got that?? Probably not, after 2 years of insults on these forums. :roll:

ANYWAYS, R-Type 3 is indeed excellent! I do love R-Type Leo; shame that it never got a home port. R-Type Leo and Lethal Thunder would've made one heck of a double pack! Oh well, at least we got X-Multiply.
Farewell to hollow words
UnscathedFlyingObject

^ Some people can't take a suggestion as a suggestion. I mean, would it be an insult to someone if I told them to read a history book 'cause they don't know George Washington? Besides, I remember you were praising the GBA R-Type 3 when it came out and saying how good a port it was. Time paradox?

I feel insulted.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:^ Some people can't take a suggestion as a suggestion. I mean, would it be an insult to someone if I told them to read a history book 'cause they don't know George Washington? Besides, I remember you were praising the GBA R-Type 3 when it came out and saying how good a port it was. Time paradox?

I feel insulted.
Well, I'm sorry you feel insulted, but know you know how I feel! No, I can't take your suggestion when it's presented in such a rude manner. The fact that I am into obscure games has absolutely nothing to do with my lack of knowledge of SNES R-Type III. There are plenty of high quality obscure games out there; or how many of your average N64 owners do you think knows about Sin & Punishment?? Yet you choose to bring that up, and act like a complete elitist by basically labeling some of the games that I am into as garbage.

And comparing knowledge of SNES R-Type III, in terms of video game knowledge, to knowledge of George Washington, in American History, is absurd. Yes, I praised GBA R-Type III; I did not know that a game of the same name existed on the SNES; I thought they just took Super R-Type and completely remade it.

Learn how to word a suggestion politely or don't bother. :?
Farewell to hollow words
UnscathedFlyingObject

^ Millions have followed my suggestions and I've worded all of 'em similarly. Now, they enjoy a better life.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Heh good old Hardcore Gaming 101, I still try to talk Kurt Kalata now and then into adding a Ghouls N Ghosts section. :lol:

Now as for R-Type games, the PSX version is pretty much the nirvana of R-Type ports, too bad they didn't include a sound test (or am I missing something there, thank goodness for M1 players), it's just perfect.

R-Type MSX I haven't put a whole lot of time into, but I'm guessing it has jerky scrolling, much like Nemesis. R-Type SMS I find quite entertaining considering at that time that's the only R-Type that ever graced a Sega system.

Super R-Type SNES was good, but a lack of checkpoints and slowdown mar an otherwise good game.

R-Type III SNES, there's a game I definitely will Ebay one day, as I consider that game pretty much one of the best early 16 bit shooters of all time, the GBA port was just a mess (yet amazingly I mentioned it on a CV IRC channel and one kid wants to purchase the GBA port and send it to me, and I'd have to send him cash, meh), but I need to take a short break from Ebay or I'll run myself broke.

R-Type Delta is spiffy, just took me getting used to the polygon look of it, R-Type Final I need to seriously put time into, got a ton of ships still to unlock.

Leo on the other hand I find it odd it never saw a home port on any system, it would be nice if the R-Type games were put on a super collection (R-Type 1,2,3, Delta and Leo at least) and released worldwide, but I'm grasping at air there.
elvis

Post by elvis »

professor ganson wrote:
Marc wrote:Is it only me that thinks R-Type 3 sucks? Feels boring, empty and weird to me, even the force-less Leo feels more R-Type than 3.
It's not just you. Leo is the only R-Type game I haven't played, and I would say R-Type 3 is the only one I really disliked. But then again I played the GBA version. That game was just frustrating and boring. Blah.
The GBA version really does suck. Try and play the SNES version if you can, even if it's on an emulator or something just to check it out.