Favorite Music in Shoot em ups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SuperPang

Re: Favorite Music in Shoot em ups

Post by SuperPang »

All of Rayforce.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The forum old timers already know what I'm going to say, but I'll say it anyway, because I'm okay being a broken record: Thunder Force IV. My favorite shooter soundtrack of all time, and there's no close second.

However, there are several other shmup OSTs I hold in high esteem:

RayForce
RayStorm
Darius Gaiden
G-Darius
Einhander
Lords of Thunder
Gradius V
Battle Garegga
Ketsui
Mushihimesama Futari

Just to name a few :)
heli

Post by heli »

G Rev : Under Defeat
Great analog sounds
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

dark wrote:Everytime I played a new cave game over the years I'd think "this music is really cool!" and then I'd play the game so much I'd get sooooo burned out on it :lol: DDP DOJ and Ketsui have some amazing music though, especially in the first three stages.
Ain't that the truth. For the first few hours of Mushi I was loving the soundtrack. After like hour 20 it just became so grating. That is the one drawback to playing these games. They have awesome OST's, but no matter how good an OST is when you hear it for the 50 millionth time it will start to get annoying.
heli

Post by heli »

Unless i have a new game i normally play more shmup games, not hours the same shmup.
Games with free play i continue to the end, then play another game.
Mostly i listen to the music with retro gaming, no serious play.
Takes me back in time, as kids we could win all those games.
Now i have em all and can not focus on any game.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

heli wrote:Unless i have a new game i normally play more shmup games, not hours the same shmup.
Games with free play i continue to the end, then play another game.
Mostly i listen to the music with retro gaming, no serious play.
Takes me back in time, as kids we could win all those games.
Now i have em all and can not focus on any game.
I feel this. This was part of the reason why I started selling off my collection. Too many mediocre games, not enough time to play them.

If a soundtrack is good enough, though, it definitely helps keep my focus on the game. Gradius' entire ambiance (including Salamander / Life Force / Nemesis / etc) keeps me going back to that series, for example. It's just playing for pleasure.
TrevorMcFurr

Post by TrevorMcFurr »

Really enjoying playing R-Type Final 2, and especially like the soundtrack, here's my current favourite:

https://youtu.be/ei3jn8wQ0Kg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
gamertag/PSN ID: TrevorMcFurr

d_resolution dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/kw5fjnvr
Vulcano dev thread: https://tinyurl.com/43ztk2un

"If she makes it, she should be a perfectly normal and healthy cat. Other than having two faces."
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

o.pwuaioc wrote: For those loving Lords of Thunder, Gates of Thunder also rocks, although it's hard to hear the music in either due to the awful SFX. Still, I'd rather take GoT's explosions than LoT's crystal cacophony.
Retroarch is FANTASTIC for this because you can adjust all the sound levels individually and rebalance it. Very nice way to experience LoT and GoT.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Gaiares! I (relatively) breezed through levels 1 and 2 with the shield and G-beam and am stuck on level 3 (hyperspace/black hole level) :x It's been years since I gave it a proper playing (I had it on import cart BITD 8) ) and forgot how just how good the music is past level 1 and how good the later levels look.