Grand Cross: Renovation

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Grand Cross: Renovation

Post by Steven »

There are exactly 3 search results here for this game as I type this post. I am surprised that there have been so few mentions of this game, but it seemed interesting, so I tried the demo on Steam and it's definitely interesting. Just about the first thing I noticed is that on the ...loading screen...? for stage 1 it very blatantly tells you to Stick to it believe in your power!, which is pretty awesome.

It's definitely got some of that BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS... inspiration going on. I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on in this game, but I like it. I think.

Anyone tried this game? I've heard it's easy as hell with no difficulty options at all and the demo definitely was easy as hell, but apparently it's got a good scoring system.
NuclearPotato

Re: Grand Cross: Renovation

Post by NuclearPotato »

I've only done a "credit feed" of it, but yeah, very fun game. Definitely on the easier side; only needed to continue maybe 4-5 times at most? I'm sure I could get a 1cc pretty quickly if I put the time in to learn it. Scoring definitely seems to be the way to go with this game; the risk-reward aspect with driving up the rank as your shield depletes is very cool. As with a lot of people, I hope the dev comes back to this to add some difficulty options in the future, but it's very much worth a play as-is if whoever is reading this hasn't done so already.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Steven wrote:for stage 1 it very blatantly tells you to Stick to it believe in your power!, which is pretty awesome.

It's definitely got some of that BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS... inspiration going on.
That one's a GleyLancer quote.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Grand Cross was pretty cool for arcade videogame pinball. You could shoot bullets out of the ball with the right powerup, I guess it's shmuppy enough.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Steven wrote:for stage 1 it very blatantly tells you to Stick to it believe in your power!, which is pretty awesome.

It's definitely got some of that BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS... inspiration going on.
That one's a GleyLancer quote.
lol I know. I have like 3 copies of it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:Grand Cross was pretty cool for arcade videogame pinball. You could shoot bullets out of the ball with the right powerup, I guess it's shmuppy enough.
wow. That game had a Varia style power up even before Metroid did pinball. I assumed it was a coincidence, but the same company also made a game named Varia Metal.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Henteko Doujin has released some interesting shmups on Steam, and I own them all so far. :)

As for GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION, it caught my eye after seeing a Shmup Junkie video, and I bought it, but... I admit I'm yet to play it. :oops:

Between Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade, R-Type Final 2, Sol Cresta, and both Raging Blasters and Moon Dancer from TERARIN GAMES (the later two I bought around the same time as GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION), I'm yet to find the time to properly "dive in".
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrianC wrote:
Jeneki wrote:Grand Cross was pretty cool for arcade videogame pinball. You could shoot bullets out of the ball with the right powerup, I guess it's shmuppy enough.
wow. That game had a Varia style power up even before Metroid did pinball. I assumed it was a coincidence, but the same company also made a game named Varia Metal.
In Metroid's case, it's just a poor romanization of what should have been properly rendered as "Barrier Suit"... which I suppose doesn't really have anything to do with anything you said, but yeah.

Anyway, this game is interesting. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, though. It certainly is striking visually. I wish I hadn't missed the Steam sale that just ended a few days ago.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, I got this game the other day and I just played through it and...

I have absolutely no fucking clue what just happened. What did I see? What did I experience? I don't know, but it was definitely something.

Was it a good something? I think it was. Yes, it's pretty easy, and there are no difficulty settings. The Sun Blade absolutely annihilates everything it touches in moments: enemies, bullets, bosses. Doesn't matter what it is. I really have no idea what to say about this game. It's just what it is. Try it, I guess.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Steven wrote:Well, I got this game the other day and I just played through it and...

I have absolutely no fucking clue what just happened. What did I see? What did I experience? I don't know, but it was definitely something.

Was it a good something? I think it was. Yes, it's pretty easy, and there are no difficulty settings. The Sun Blade absolutely annihilates everything it touches in moments: enemies, bullets, bosses. Doesn't matter what it is. I really have no idea what to say about this game. It's just what it is. Try it, I guess.
I have no idea what happened either... But I feel like the game was made easy on purpose, that the creators were intentionally holding back, just like Drainus. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. I've been playing a ton of hard video games, and I wanted something easy for once.
Steven

Post by Steven »

xxx1993 wrote:
Steven wrote:Well, I got this game the other day and I just played through it and...

I have no idea what happened either... But I feel like the game was made easy on purpose, that the creators were intentionally holding back, just like Drainus. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. I've been playing a ton of hard video games, and I wanted something easy for once.
Yeah, I think they made this game with intentionally low difficulty but made the scoring system have a high skill ceiling, and I think that's likely supposed to be the main point of the game or something.

It seems that you can unlock a second ship if you no miss the game. Most of my deaths were because I wasn't really sure what could hurt me and what couldn't, but I was playing very recklessly to see what I can get away with, and the game is not exceptionally punishing. I'll probably go for the no miss next time.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm glad, though. We need more "breather shmups" like this and Drainus.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah. I think this game is a bit hectic for it to be a "relax and blow shit up" game like Hishouzame, but it is true that not everything needs to be Daioujou Death Label.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Even I was a bit intimidated at first. But thankfully I got through it just fine, though. What was with that "To be continued" message, anyway? Will there be a sequel?
Steven

Post by Steven »

New update just added the ship from KAMUI to this game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Finally got around to trying the KAMUI ship and holy fuck is it broken. It insta-kills every boss in the game in under 1 second. It's completely insane. Visibility in this game is still pretty poor, but with the fullscreen lock-on, the giant laser that insta-kills everything it touches, and the fast recharge speed, there won't be anything on the screen to actually shoot at you.

This is a serious contender for the most ridiculously overpowered player character in anything ever, outside of games where the player can't be killed.

Just look at it. It takes longer for me to overkill the boss than it does to fucking kill it: https://youtu.be/_c7yN5o1ljs
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

If you limiter release it can kill even faster and get you tons of tech points/overkills, but one hit and you're dead. Switching it on and off is good for scoring.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed