The Epic Saga of The Game Paradise + Radirgy Swag Preorders: YEAR 5!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

The Epic Saga of The Game Paradise + Radirgy Swag Preorders: YEAR 5!

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Our tale begins long, long ago, back through the mists of time to an era known as The Trump Administration. In a time when boutique publisher Dispatch Games took preorders for a Western physical release of The Game Paradise: CruisinMix. A game which some of you may know better from its arcade/Saturn incarnation, as Game Tengoku. [NOTE: The epic adventure here revolves around Game Paradise as that's what I'm involved with, but all applies to Radirgy Swag and I believe Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto as well]

Ah, late 2020 (or mid 2019 for you Swaggers), a heady time. The pandemic was finally at its end with a vaccine on the way, and soon we would all be grabbing eggplants with the Truxton ship in Game Paradise.

User DoomsDave shared his Radirgy Swag preorder from July 2019, placing us now at year 5 of the current timeline:
DoomsDave wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:45 pm Dispatch still haven't shipped Radirgy orders from 2019.

-------

July 1, 2021

By July 2021 we were all getting delta covid and no Game Paradise. An apology did come in the form of the promise of a digital download. But hey, they say products are in the pipe to ship!

----------

July 9, 2021

Oh yeah, here we go. The package cover has been approved by the ESRB. It's happening! It's really in the pipe!

----------

July 13, 2021

The next week, here's a photo of the LE. And a promise that the waitlist will be addressed!

------

July 22, 2021

Three weeks after being told digital codes were coming, we were told digital codes were coming. At the end of the month.

-------

July 25, 2021

A mere 9 months after orders put in, waiting list is closed! Updates coming! Waiting on confirmations!

---------

July 30 2021

Ten days after being told digital codes were coming, which was three weeks after we were previously told digital codes were coming, digital codes weren't coming. But hey, stuff outside of people's control happens.

-------

August 10, 2021

A week and a half later, in a classy move Japanese publisher City Connection stepped up and issued an apology for the problems they had nothing to do with around Game Paradise.

-------

August 13, 2021

A couple of days later, still waiting on those downloads. But hey, a shipment is scheduled! Of something! At the end of the month again.

-------

September 14 2021

One month later:

Nothing shipped. But hey, a cart, it's real! In a warehouse! Game targeted to ship - wait for it - at the end of the month.

----------

September 15 2021

A promise of an update appears!

---------

September 15 2021

6 weeks after the wait list was closed, the wait list is not closed:

--------

October 4 2021

Three weeks later:

Yet as our tale turns, the shipping at the end of the month thing didn't happen. Again. For such is fate's cruel whim, and happenstance might well conspire to place events beyond one's control. To some people, it happens a lot.

It's all good though. Notifications going out soon!

---------

January 18, 2022

THREE.

AND A HALF.

MONTHS.

LATER.

Notifications didn't go out soon. Though a promise of an update appears! Again! But who could get mad at cute little arcade attendant Yuki? (Not me, TBH)

-----------

March 6 2022

SEVEN.

WEEKS.

LATER.

Aw yeah! That announcement of an update that was announced in the last announcement of an update has finally arrived in style!

The update? THERE SHOULD BE NOTIFICATIONS! ABOUT SOMETHING! GOING OUT!! When, you ask?

~~Around~~

THE END OF THE MOOOOOONNNNTHH!!!!! Aw yesss.

People who bought the LE will find out 〜later〜 :arrow:

And the big twist at the end? An announcement of an announcement of an update, in this update announcement announced in the last announcement of an update. And it will be LARGER. It will contain DETAILS!!
Spoiler
I'm starting to think either this guy's day job only pays at the end of the month, or he's just a really wishful thinker.
---------

April 13 2022

In a Shyamalan-level twist, it turned out there was no update, announcement of an update, or literally anything at the end of the month.

---------

JUNE 7 2022

And lo, there came a tweet!

BRB, circling 'shortly' on my calendar.

---------

JULY 9 2022

I guess it's not shortly yet.

-----------

SEPTEMBER 3 2022

As we round the corner on the quarter-year anniversary of "shortly," NeoStrayCat comes to the thread bearing grim tidings:
NeoStrayCat wrote:Well, it looks like probably Dispatch Games has since been dispatched into the ether.
https://seafoamgaming.com/2022/09/03/di ... our-money/

As the linked article points out, Dispatch's business license has been revoked for non-payment of administrative fees in both California (where it was set up) and Tennessee (where it is currently listed):

Full credit to Seafoam Gaming for the detective work.

While this isn't official word that the company has ceased any and all future operations, it's not exactly a glowing beacon of hope when your business can't afford the barest semblance of legal existence.

-------------------

SEPTEMBER 9, 2022

The saga continues, Wu Tang, Wu Tang...

Is there some kind of mental condition that specifically blocks people from just typing out an honest, straightforward sentence?

----------------------

LIKE BARELY AN HOUR BEFORE THE END OF SEPTEMBER 9, 2022

Turns out he just got his business entity revoked in two different states and didn't do anything about it for a month (and only when a blog site called him out on it) by accident. Life's so hectic sometimes, who can't relate?

"Addressed!"

"Next week!"

...er, games?

*Throws smoke bomb*

-------------------

SEPTEMBER 14 2022

In "that's nice, but why didn't you show this 10 months ago?" news, Dispatch guy has posted an image of multiple carts in the warehouse to show that they do, in fact, exist. With the promise of more photos tomorrow:

In "is that even really news at this point?" news, he did not share additional pics tomorrow. Which is now yesterday.

Incidentally, happy one year anniversary (to the day!) to the last time he posted an exciting picture of one of these carts in the warehouse.

--------------------

SEPTEMBER 28 2022

Maybe captain trustworthy meant tomorrow next month.

---------------------

OCTOBER 4 2022

Continuing to chart exciting new territory in gaming announcements, Dispatch confirms that the warehouse is, in fact, totally a warehouse:

Which was hectic to do, apparently. Thx for the warehouse protocol-following update tho, that had been weighing heavily on people's minds.

------------------------

April 5, 2023

...nothing. He disappeared after that post. Half a year and no updates on social media, no responses to emails, no refunds.

One might begin to get pessimistic.

------------------------

May 1, 2023

Update Gaiden: Forum member Tadaito popped in to let us know that Radirgy Swag has been delisted digitally on the eShop, also mentioning that the timing might well indicate that a 4 year publishing license for Dispatch has expired. If that is the case, hopefully someone else picks it up. And if the circumstances are the same for Game Paradise, that may also only remain available until May 2024.

Also, TRIGGER WARNING: CRUSHED SOULS
tadaito wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 am In any case, if my speculation about the licensing is correct:

Dispatch Games took so long to ship physical copies of Radirgy Swag, that the license expired before a single one made it to a customer.
/skull emoji

------------------------

July 7, 2023

HOT NEW LORE JUST STEALTH DROPPED!!

Process, teams, working, the very solidification of time itself. Lets see how this attempt at a breakthrough in physics at the cosmic level plays out.

An attempt which, as forum member Nnnn points out, was somewhat interestingly timed:
Nnnn wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:43 pm Funny that they make this last announcement shortly after Play Asia canceled everyone's orders. I wonder if there's any relation there.
Funny indeed!

------------------------

August 14, 2023

BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE

Alas the fabric of time is stubborn, and appears to remain in slightly too wiggly a state for any word or shipment notifications from Dispatch since the last tweet. And so the promised day passed in silence. Wherever you are, Godspeed you, skyclad observer. :idea:

------------------------

August 18, 2023

Are the alpha and beta attractor fields overlapping? Is this this ideal worldline? ARE WE ABOUT TO UNLOCK THE TRUE ENDING????

DoomsDave brings us a HUGE lore update:
DoomsDave wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:15 am The saga continues....

https://twitter.com/DispatchGames/statu ... 4618745097

BIG IF TRUE

------------------------

October 3, 2023

NOT TRUE

Nobody anywhere has received a shipment notice, let alone a product, alas.
Last edited by Sengoku Strider on Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:25 am, edited 33 times in total.
DoomsDave

Re: The Epic Saga of The Game Paradise: CruisinMix Preorders

Post by DoomsDave »

Dispatch still haven't shipped Radirgy orders from 2019.

Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

These boutique publishers all seem like massive rackets. Months late in shipping and overly jacked up pricing. The seemingly forced scarcity comes off as a way to facilitate all this.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Creamy Goodness wrote:These boutique publishers all seem like massive rackets. Months late in shipping and overly jacked up pricing. The seemingly forced scarcity comes off as a way to facilitate all this.
Yep. I avoid buying from them and there are certain devs I won't mention by name who I have thus far avoided purchasing from, even digitally, so as to not fund the whole "limited FOMO" scam. These companies take in a big pile of money, then spend months, maybe even a couple years not delivering anything except excuses. Where all the money went, bitch? You were sure able to collect that money quickly.

Maybe it sounds good to some people if they hear that a game is coming out on limited release physically somewhere. But to me, it gives me a worse opinion of the company in most cases. Because they're taking a $10-20 eshop title (these are the actual prices) and selling it for... Hell, $50 at the low end and maybe $200 on the high. Often times, the games aren't even that good. It's debatable if some of these titles are worth $10 on their own merits as games. Some are a step above shovelware and others are arguably shovelware.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

When I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be about Limited Run Games since they also published CruisinMix, but I actually recieved mine from them.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Looks like they dispatched the games right into the trash can.
Nnnn

Post by Nnnn »

I preordered both games in August 2019.

After everything you see here, as well as Radirgy not only getting a sequel but getting packaged in together with it, I canceled my order in November 2021.

After multiple emails, including one which was a blank response, and another which even called me by the wrong name, I finally got a refund in mid JANUARY THE NEXT YEAR.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

After everything you see here, as well as Radirgy not only getting a sequel but getting packaged in together with it, I canceled my order in November 2021.

After multiple emails, including one which was a blank response, and another which even called me by the wrong name, I finally got a refund in mid JANUARY THE NEXT YEAR.

So three months? That's lightning fast for Dispatch... I have a friend that asked for a Radirgy refund when they first offered them (July 2021) and still hasn't got it (nor did he get a digital code, so his order got cancelled, he just didn't get any money back)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

LOL.

"Sure, we'll cancel your order, but we're gonna keep that money." Massive fucking scam.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This is why chargebacks exist.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

At this point I feel like Dispatch is run by Adam Sandler's character from Uncut Gems.

Like everyone who got a refund got it the day after the Knicks won a big game.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:At this point I feel like Dispatch is run by Adam Sandler's character from Uncut Gems.

Like everyone who got a refund got it the day after the Knicks won a big game.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Udderdude wrote:This is why chargebacks exist.
Eh, most chargebacks are limited to within something like four months and a lot of people who hung onto their preorders are coming on their three-year anniversaries. Way too late for it unfortunately.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

This is up there with 360 Raiden Fighters Aces in Europe. :?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sengoku Strider, PLEASE post that on their twitter
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah that pic is 100% on point lol.

"Hey fellas, I'm glad you're here! I was just gonna call ya! Yeah, I'm printin' up your download codes right now. Lemme just go in the back and check on 'em for ya."

Bathroom window jammed open/tires screeching in the parking lot.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Is it wrong to assume at this point that the photos they posted of the games being made were just photoshops. I really just do not believe them that anything is moving forward with this game, and have accepted that I'll never see the game I paid them for almost 3 fucking years ago.
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

This is pretty disgusting. I got a code for the Switch version but that's been it so far.
Sengoku Strider

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Sengoku Strider, PLEASE post that on their twitter
I avoid Twitter as a rule, but you're welcome to use it. (In a non-excessively mean fashion. Twitter is already poison).
Sengoku Strider

Updated the OP with NEWS!
Sengoku Strider

Updated the OP with the news that there was, in fact, ultimately no news.
Creamy Goodness

I get the feeling my delivery of Crimzon Clover is going to meet the same fate. Release date has already gone from Q2 2022 to Q4 2022. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still waiting in Q4 2024.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Creamy Goodness wrote:I get the feeling my delivery of Crimzon Clover is going to meet the same fate. Release date has already gone from Q2 2022 to Q4 2022. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still waiting in Q4 2024.
Was that through that 1st Press place?
They gave me super-Dispatch vibes...
jp

Post by jp »

I think I was part of their true target audience for this, because if it wasn't for my brief stop here to see what's coming out in the genre every two months, I would've completely forgotten that I had these games preordered.

Though I did get Penguin Wars (Switch) and maybe Psyvarier (I dunno; it's an LE with a vinyl, so maybe not them since I actually got it) from them, so it's not like I made those pre-orders after a poor experience.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Creamy Goodness

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:I get the feeling my delivery of Crimzon Clover is going to meet the same fate. Release date has already gone from Q2 2022 to Q4 2022. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still waiting in Q4 2024.
Was that through that 1st Press place?
They gave me super-Dispatch vibes...
Yup. Usually I wouldn't touch these publishers, especially super low budget ones like 1st Press, with a 20 foot pole. But in the case of Crimzon Clover I made the exception. I have seen posts here about the wait for Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles. Those have been ready for production for lord knows how long.
Last edited by Creamy Goodness on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

I, too, am waiting on Crimson Clover. Good to know I'll be sitting on another preorder until 2030.

Those Cotton Fantasy and Death Smiles I & II preorders are starting to get a bit long in the tooth as well.
Creamy Goodness

I don't bother with LE or CE's so I just got the retail Deathsmiles. Hell i probably won't even get the most out of the bargain basement version as there is so much content and I have so much other stuff to play. For Cotton I just went with Amazon preorder. Fingers crossed they hit the 5/20 release date.
jp

Post by jp »

I imported the LE for Cotton. At least in Japan the LEs tend to release the same day as the games...
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Creamy Goodness

Good article on the state of limited print publishers.

https://seafoamgaming.com/2022/04/14/th ... port-card/

TLDR; they all basically suck.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I did have a good experience with First Press games, but it was for an item already in stock. Standard FC version of Blazing Rangers. All other versions are STILL on preorder. Definitely a nice game, though.

I ordered a couple standards for SLG and a couple Genesis games. Darius stuff turned out great, but Turrican turned out to be a mess. Still waiting on volume 1 for PS4, but less interested after Turrican Flashback released and realizing that the director's cut and score attack games are just filler. However, I'm still waiting on the update for the US G-Darius and Sagaia GB, while well emulated, was untranslated with a translation guide offered instead of translated menus (at least it's something, but the menus are similar to those already translated for Darius Cosmic Collection).