Horizontal Shoot em ups vs Vertical Shoot em ups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KimagureMachibuse

Horizontal Shoot em ups vs Vertical Shoot em ups

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

i have played only a handful of shoot em ups so far however i do slightly prefer the gameplay of horizontal shoot em ups as vertical ones can usually be much more overwhealming with the amount of things on screen however that mostly depends on the type of game. the twinbee games are an example of too much on the screen as you are supposed to obtain bells while also avoiding enemeis and bullets i feel the power up system of twinbee was done better in the cotton games. however there are vertical shoot em ups i really like such as sonic wings special raiden and dragon spirit.

I would like to know which version of shoot em ups you prefer.
BIL

Re: Horizontal Shoot em ups vs Vertical Shoot em ups

Post by BIL »

I really don't have a preference as far as format goes. Like steak vs pizza, imo. I've enjoyed movingly good examples of both, and while they differ at the most fundamental sensory level, there's also a lot of crossover potential in the right hands. Don't need horis for walls or verts for danmaku, when you know where to look. One thing I never do while enjoying one is think "damn, this owns, I never want to see that other stuff again." Quiet the opposite, actually!
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

I agree. Some of my favorites are Gates of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, R-Type Leo, and Thunder Force 3 and 4. The crazy hard DoDoSui Waifumaku 5000 stuff doesn't do it for me.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I like the slower, memorization heavy, puzzle style shmups the best and those tend to be horizontal.

I like CAVE style bullet hells as well, but I feel there's a ceiling with how far I want to push in those sort of games. Easier to mid level difficulty CAVE games are about as far as I can go before the reflexes and dodging becomes too much.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Vertical games are easier for me, as your eyes can quickly figure out if a bullet will hit you or not as it's coming towards you. Also, horizontally scrolling games tend to have deadly obstacles, like the ground etc, and I don't like that element in shmups.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.