ATTN: All Toaplan-heads - Developer Documentary Project [KS]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jehu

ATTN: All Toaplan-heads - Developer Documentary Project [KS]

Post by jehu »

A new Kickstarter popped up that I thought would be of general interest to the community.

As I understand it, resident STG-YouTuber Shmup Junkie is teaming up with one Joseph Pierce to put together a Kickstarter to fund an extensive set of retrospective interviews with former Toaplan staff and others intimately involved in the late-80s, early-90s STG scene.

Here's a link to the Kickstarter (scroll past the Japanese for the English section): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jo ... to-toaplan

And here's a link to the English trailer for the project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2JR_Qu ... =emb_title

Taken directly from the Kickstarter:
What you say? A Toaplan documentary? That’s right! The company that set up us the bomb in Tiger Heli (which is to say, introduced the bomb mechanic into the shooting genre). The company, that with their last breath, created the first danmaku (bullet hell) with Batsugun and V-V (Grind Stormer). A company whose invaluable contributions to the shooting genre and fascinating exploits should be preserved. For Great Justice!

This first documentary will focus on the founding of Toaplan up until the release of Fire Shark in 1989. As the team behind this project consists of diehard fans of their work, we'll cover every game of the 80’s including lesser known games like Wardner, Rally Bike and Guardian (Get Star). The planned sequel will focus on the 90's and their remaining work, as we don't want to rush through Toaplan's history, which spans over ten years and over thirty games.

We would love nothing more than to create the definitive Toaplan compendium featuring their staff and industry veterans. So please support our work!
I'm endlessly fascinated by these developer interviews and attempts to historicize and contextualize the scene, so I really hope this gets funded. Thought some of you might be willing to throw in a bit to make it happen, too.

A bunch of interesting Kickstarter rewards to select from, but I'll let you all look those over.

Edit: Shmup Junkie posted a more detailed explanation in this thread and so I thought I'd elevate his response to the topic post:
I was just made aware of this thread and really glad the project is slowly making it's rounds through the community. So I wanted to drop in and provide some info straight from the source. The most exciting aspect of this documentary are the interviews and everyone involved, some of which is briefly touched on in the Kickstarter text and in my trailer. The director Joseph Pierce is close with both Uemura-san and Yuge-san and how this originally started. Joseph is a massive Toaplan fan and owns every single arcade PCB of their games. He's not a collector and owns them to play the hell out of them. And once the project reached a point where interviews were secured, permissions were granted, and the possibility was real, he touched base with me to help co-direct and edit the video.

Tatsuya Uemura is heavily involved in the project, and both he and Yuge-san will feature prominently. This is their story, told by them, along with a crazy amount of STG legends he's brought onto the project. That includes Manabu Namiki, Go Sato (Raiden), Horii Naoki (CEO of M2), Yuichi Toyama of former Compile/Raizing, artist Inoue Junya (Joker Jun) who is creating custom artwork for the Bluray... and that's just the very short list. They will all be on camera and interviewed for the documentary. Almost all of these folks have been posting on their social media trying to spread awareness of the project. There will be an entire second disc consisting of both Uemura and Yuge-san speaking at great length on various topics that they've been wanting to discuss for quite a while. Part of the plan and budget is the ex-Toaplan staff visiting all their old office locations, bars they used to drink together, restaurants they frequented, and talk about the entire experience of working at Toaplan during that time. So as unimaginable as it may seem to get this level of STG documentary in this day and age, this is the real deal.

The closest comparison I can make is the M2 Complete Works documentary by MLiG a while back, only the amount of STG legends lined up for this project is something I'm still wrapping my mind around. And it's going to happen if the project gets funded. Tatsuya Uemura himself is directly involved in it's production and wants to see it happen. We have footage of things like him and Yuichi Toyama playing Get Star (Guardian) together and just having a good time. We hope to do a live gameplay commentary, with both Uemura-san and Yuge-san discussing the game being played as it's happening and their insight into the mechanics and development. The amount of extra content and things the Toaplan staff directly want to do is overwhelming. To the point where it will be broken into two separate productions. One focusing on the beginning and through 1989, with the sequel being the 90s games and bankruptcy, what happened afterward etc. It's too much content for a single film or production. If the first part gets funded and does well, and once important interviews from players like Ikeda-san are confirmed for the later games, then it could proceed as well. It's true Tatsujin Corp. owns the rights, but that is their only role here. They have to approve things from a licensing perspective in the film. But they are not involved in the production. This is Joseph's and Uemura-san's baby, with myself brought in several months ago to help with the international side and for the editing work. None of us are doing it for profit, as the production costs are high, and the funding amount will be going to them. I joined this project completely pro bono for how insanely exciting it is to be part of. The thought of having Zoom meetings with these developers weekly and learning inside info from them isn't something I ever could have imagined. Yet here we are.

So I'll be yelling from the rooftops at anyone who will listen (and hopefully more effective methods to actually get funded) because this is not an opportunity that will come along again. At least not for Toaplan, a developer and games I have a real fondness and nostalgia for. While I'm inundated with work, I'll do my best to check in here again and answer questions others may have. It's still surreal in my mind that something like this is happening, or could potentially happen. And what a missed opportunity it will be if it doesn't.
Last edited by jehu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
FRO

Re: ATTN: All Toaplan-heads - Developer Documentary Project

Post by FRO »

Looking very forward to this, and I'm hoping it gets funded, because this kind of historical look back at an important player in the development of the genre is needed, particularly as many of the original developers, artists, musicians, etc. are reaching ages where we may not have as many opportunities to document this kind of stuff.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

This is gonna be a awsome documentary!help if possible[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Oh, that other thread was just talking about this documentary. Guess I'll reply to that here then.

Toaplan is just a rightsholder anymore, albeit owned by one of the guys who was there back in the day; if I remember right, by the guy who was responsible for screwing the company in the first place. I don't remember the whole story, it's complicated and dumb. Something about money laundering and that being a common get-rich-quick scheme by desperate higher-ups...

No, whatever might possibly be left of Toaplan, the actual developer, is over at Tatsujin (the company), which is run by Yuge. I don't know anything else about the makeup of the company except that they've got some kind of deal with Toaplan, which is why Tatsujin is credited in things like the Tatsujin (the game) DLC for that Game Tengoku remaster remake, and the recent Kyukyoku Tiger-Heli. I seem to remember Yuge saying he wanted to do an actual new game, but that was some time ago, and I don't know if he still wants to do it. I don't see anything in this video about that, either. He'd probably just hire M2 to do it though...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I pledged for funding of the developer documentary. I am more interested in the interview content itself.

There are some tiers for signed PCB boards, but those can be enjoyed by folks who want to collect PCBs and game carts.
bcass

Post by bcass »

By popular demand, they just added a new tier to this for people who don't have access to a Bluray player - it's a digital download copy of the documentary that is priced lower than the physical release.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

MrJBRPG wrote:I pledged for funding of the developer documentary. I am more interested in the interview content itself.

There are some tiers for signed PCB boards, but those can be enjoyed by folks who want to collect PCBs and game carts.
Only three PCBs and the only one left is Hellfire, and although I am looking for a HF PCB, not one that costs $2,500 USD...

Cool idea, I wish they had stuck with some better games though!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

IMO I think this is one of the cooler things the larger 'community' has tried to get off the ground. I hope it's really info-packed and not just strictly fluff.

I've backed it, myself.
Camarguess

Post by Camarguess »

XtraSmiley wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote:I pledged for funding of the developer documentary. I am more interested in the interview content itself.

Only three PCBs and the only one left is Hellfire, and although I am looking for a HF PCB, not one that costs $2,500 USD...

You know that’s a signed PCB right?
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

I was just made aware of this thread and really glad the project is slowly making it's rounds through the community. So I wanted to drop in and provide some info straight from the source. The most exciting aspect of this documentary are the interviews and everyone involved, some of which is briefly touched on in the Kickstarter text and in my trailer. The director Joseph Pierce is close with both Uemura-san and Yuge-san and how this originally started. Joseph is a massive Toaplan fan and owns every single arcade PCB of their games. He's not a collector and owns them to play the hell out of them. And once the project reached a point where interviews were secured, permissions were granted, and the possibility was real, he touched base with me to help co-direct and edit the video.

Tatsuya Uemura is heavily involved in the project, and both he and Yuge-san will feature prominently. This is their story, told by them, along with a crazy amount of STG legends he's brought onto the project. That includes Manabu Namiki, Go Sato (Raiden), Horii Naoki (CEO of M2), Yuichi Toyama of former Compile/Raizing, artist Inoue Junya (Joker Jun) who is creating custom artwork for the Bluray... and that's just the very short list. They will all be on camera and interviewed for the documentary. Almost all of these folks have been posting on their social media trying to spread awareness of the project. There will be an entire second disc consisting of both Uemura and Yuge-san speaking at great length on various topics that they've been wanting to discuss for quite a while. Part of the plan and budget is the ex-Toaplan staff visiting all their old office locations, bars they used to drink together, restaurants they frequented, and talk about the entire experience of working at Toaplan during that time. So as unimaginable as it may seem to get this level of STG documentary in this day and age, this is the real deal.

The closest comparison I can make is the M2 Complete Works documentary by MLiG a while back, only the amount of STG legends lined up for this project is something I'm still wrapping my mind around. And it's going to happen if the project gets funded. Tatsuya Uemura himself is directly involved in it's production and wants to see it happen. We have footage of things like him and Yuichi Toyama playing Get Star (Guardian) together and just having a good time. We hope to do a live gameplay commentary, with both Uemura-san and Yuge-san discussing the game being played as it's happening and their insight into the mechanics and development. The amount of extra content and things the Toaplan staff directly want to do is overwhelming. To the point where it will be broken into two separate productions. One focusing on the beginning and through 1989, with the sequel being the 90s games and bankruptcy, what happened afterward etc. It's too much content for a single film or production. If the first part gets funded and does well, and once important interviews from players like Ikeda-san are confirmed for the later games, then it could proceed as well. It's true Tatsujin Corp. owns the rights, but that is their only role here. They have to approve things from a licensing perspective in the film. But they are not involved in the production. This is Joseph's and Uemura-san's baby, with myself brought in several months ago to help with the international side and for the editing work. None of us are doing it for profit, as the production costs are high, and the funding amount will be going to them. I joined this project completely pro bono for how insanely exciting it is to be part of. The thought of having Zoom meetings with these developers weekly and learning inside info from them isn't something I ever could have imagined. Yet here we are.

So I'll be yelling from the rooftops at anyone who will listen (and hopefully more effective methods to actually get funded) because this is not an opportunity that will come along again. At least not for Toaplan, a developer and games I have a real fondness and nostalgia for. While I'm inundated with work, I'll do my best to check in here again and answer questions others may have. It's still surreal in my mind that something like this is happening, or could potentially happen. And what a missed opportunity it will be if it doesn't.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

I know we can't have everything, but no Tsuneki Ikeda interview? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DMC

Post by DMC »

You had me at Yuichi Toyama playing Get Star and just having a good time. :D Will support!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Backed for Blu-ray and the interview booklet, this is great stuff! I have been a Toaplan fanatic since the 80's and I also own their PCB's, just to play the hell out of them. I love the crazy tidbits I've read from shmuplations, like the bit where they had fire extinguisher on staff meetings to calm people down when debates got too heated, or the ill-fated company picnic where everyone threw off their clothes and ran off to the nearby river. Everything points to Toaplan staff being eccentric, colorful people so I am sure that the documentary is not going to be boring *at all*. Can't wait for it!

I would have absolutely loved to bid for the internal company zine as well, but in 140€ it was outside what I could afford at the moment. However, if it gets tight reaching the funding goal (and if I can find some income), I am willing to up my bid if necessary. I have blown the trumpet for this on my own social media channels, and also in the closed from public-game developer forum (The Chaos Engine) which I've haunted since 2003 - as that place surely has lot of old Toaplan fans as lot of the older game developers dwell in that message board. Let's hope this will be very succesful.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Camarguess wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:

You know that’s a signed PCB right?
Yes of course, that's why they are $2500 instead of the going rate, $2-300, but still, of all the Toaplan games, HF isn't one I'd have gone with for a fund raiser.

EDIT: Also, not to knock this at all, I think it's great and will be helping out to fund it and definitely want to see it happen!

Heck, maybe I'll pull the trigger on that dang HF anyway...
Last edited by XtraSmiley on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

_rm_ wrote:I know we can't have everything, but no Tsuneki Ikeda interview? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You can bet Ikeda-san will be there when the time is right. It wouldn't be right doing discussion of later games like V-V and Batsugun without him. It's still very early so we may even get him for perspective on the earlier games, just like we did other industry members, but the initial 80s disc is definitely focused on the two key players Uemura-san and Yuge-san. Let's be real, they ARE the Toaplan of the 80s and made all the games. There were plenty of important supporting staff that'll feature as well, but nearly all the games were programmed by one, the other, or both. Tatsujin is 100% Yuge-san aside from the graphics. He did the design, programming, music, everything. Another one of the unique things about early Toaplan, developer autonomy. They were left alone to make the game they wanted without interference, regardless of what was trendy or popular. The other result is the very indie-like nature of some games, where nearly the entire game was developed by one person alone. It was their creation without having to make much compromise. And it's one of the long form, in-depth conversations Yuge-san is looking forward to having for the second disc.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Long story short, we will make every effort to get the same level of insight when it's time to highlight the games Ikeda-san worked on as well.
Last edited by ShmupJunkie on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

ShmupJunkie wrote: Tatsuya Uemura is heavily involved in the project, and both he and Yuge-san will feature prominently. This is their story, told by them, along with a crazy amount of STG legends he's brought onto the project. That includes Manabu Namiki, Go Sato (Raiden), Horii Naoki (CEO of M2), Yuichi Toyama of former Compile/Raizing, artist Inoue Junya (Joker Jun) who is creating custom artwork for the Bluray... and that's just the very short list. They will all be on camera and interviewed for the documentary. Almost all of these folks have been posting on their social media trying to spread awareness of the project. There will be an entire second disc consisting of both Uemura and Yuge-san speaking at great length on various topics that they've been wanting to discuss for quite a while. Part of the plan and budget is the ex-Toaplan staff visiting all their old office locations, bars they used to drink together, restaurants they frequented, and talk about the entire experience of working at Toaplan during that time. So as unimaginable as it may seem to get this level of STG documentary in this day and age, this is the real deal.
I love what I'm hearing. Interviews with these people are rare, and translated ones even rarer.
This is the kind of work that needs to be done before it gets definitively too late. Thanks for working on this.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

UPDATE

There's only 10 days left on the Kickstarter and it's so close, successful funding is nearly inevitable at this point. So anyone still on the fence and wants to get any of the exclusive reward options, it ends this month. I'm going to be pushing hard for the stretch goals, especially that 3rd disc. That's where we get to include a ton of the extra interviews that don't fit on disc 2, gameplay commentary by the devs, etc. We also just got approval from M2 for a reward tier on signed copies of the upcoming Hishouzame/Same!3 release, signed by Masahiro Yuge. Along with current Kyu Tiger M2 copies signed by Tatsuya Uemura. Those will be going up in the next day or so as a reward option. A less expensive and modern hardware option versus the much pricier arcade PCBs and mega drive games already on there. Speaking of which, only one PCB is left at the moment, Tatsujin Ou signed by Yuge-san. Can't recall if I mentioned it before, but it's the one game nobody at Toaplan will admit to programming. Any info online is incorrect. Not any of the top devs say they know, though given how unlikely that is, we suspect they simply don't want to take responsibility. :lol:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jo ... to-toaplan
Last edited by ShmupJunkie on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Great news. Already backed this one as it sounds awesome. Let's hope it reaches that 3rd disc stretch goal too.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

ShmupJunkie wrote:successful funding is nearly inevitable at this point.
Hey, congrats. Amazing you guys rounded up so much money, and got so many people involved.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I got myself some work, so I was able to afford to up my bid for the TOLANP zine, there is no way I would have wanted to miss out on that! Glad to see that this has almost reached its goal!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Barely over $1000 left until it's funded as of this post. Backed this for signed MD a while ago and recently switched to signed MD Zero Wing, so I am glad that this is basically guaranteed to happen. I'd love to go to the screening in Tokyo since I'm already here, but that's a bit too much for me right now. Nobody's backed for that yet... still going to do it if nobody backs for it?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

So much for Japan trip in spring 2022, but wanting to go next year in 2023, I backed a screen Premire of Toaplan documentary. Therefore dead set to travel and visit Japan next year. Helped get it closer to 100% funded and then a few others afterward.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Looks like it's funded! Well done!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Funded is great, let's get that third DVD stretch goal!!!!!!!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Congratulations on the funding! According to the update on kickstarter, it looks like you managed to snag Ikeda to talk about being a young toaplan fanboy before he joined the company. That might be fun and cute.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll see a few stretch goals met - especially that third one that will include the full interviews!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Still haven't backed, not out of a lack of love for Toaplan or this project, but simply because none of the rewards hold any value for me. The only thing I want is a BluRay set, and once the production is finally complete I hope to be able to snatch one either via a store that offers prepaid customs or an actual European distribution, rather than having to pay a huge fee on top that does nothing to benefit the documentary.

That said, I really want the Kickstarter to succeed as well as possible, and if I see it looking like it's gonna come short of the 3-disc stretch goal, I'll be sure to chip in to help reach that.

I honestly can't wait to watch this thing.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sorry if I'm just missing the obvious as I skimmed the KS page, but will there be other means of watching this besides the Blu-Ray? For example is it going on YouTube eventually, or can I purchase a digital download?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah there's a digital option on there now. 5th one down I believe is what I counted.

Pledge ¥3,500 or more
ABOUT $31
ディジタル版
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF THE DOCUMENTARY!!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cool thanks.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

There are still some spots for early screening in Japan happening in June 2023. Hope others can jump on this opportunity before the kickstarter time is up.