Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Flycast

Re: Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

Post by Flycast »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Best of luck dealing with your vision impairment.
I mean that...they are visually clones to each other, not the game itself :roll:

Exactly this :arrow:
Sloppy_J wrote:Can't these Euro developers come up with their own style instead of just ripping off Japanese anime cliche shit?
If you're gonna copy something, at least choose a style that is less lame.
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Best. Of. Luck. Dealing. With. Your. Vision. Impairment.
Flycast

Post by Flycast »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Best. Of. Luck. Dealing. With. Your. Vision. Impairment.
Why do you want to sell me "Android" games like those? :mrgreen:
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I haven't been playing this as much lately as I would like, but I've definitely put time in. I have clears on Mild with all 3 ships. Currently working on an Intense clear with Type B. Stage 3 boss is a turd, but I did finally manage to get past it on 1 credit recently, so I'm hopeful I can get over that wall. Stage 4 midboss will be the next wall, most likely.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Been a while since I posted. Today I watched Shmup Junky's best 16bit console for shmups video and it gave me a hankering to play a shmup.

So I bought this game on switch and got it wired in in the old Blast City. I think I've bought 3 shmups in the last 5 years, Crimzon Clover, Progear, and Dankamu Unlimited 3 on Switch. This seemed like the one people were talking about so I gave it a whirl despite vowing to never buy a NGDEV game again after the travesty of that Dreamcast one XYX something.

It's fun but lacks personality, I might as well have could been playing Danmaku Unlimited 3 and not known the difference. The bomb fragments were a neat nod to Yagawa, I'm going to give the harder modes a little bit of time since I 1CCed the mild mode on my first go. Sigh, maybe I should have gotten Mecha Ritz...

...or just played CC:WEX which is a genre killer as far as I'm concerned. Is there another vert game with tate on switch I should check out that hasn't been ported a dozen other times?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

This would be very close to CC:WEX tier IMO if not for the highest difficulty being as easy to clear as the average CAVE 1-all. There's no 2-all or ultra thing to look for in the horizon, say if Ketsui just ended with loop 1. That really feels like selling your games potential short and the opposite of CC:WEX, Blue Revolver and similar where the easiest mode is easier than CAVE and highest harder to appeal for anyone.

The scoring is good and Type-C has a lot of personality but lacking a survival endgame challenge is weird. Even with the focus on suicides it's easy to have a ton of resources for a clear if you save some near the end.

I feel like after the games demo which had a scoring contest the player ships got overtuned, especially Type-C which used to be a technical hard to survive with but good for scoring type & now is just good at everything. Enemies in stages feel too weak in comparison. Stages kinda like score attack puzzles with almost all the difficulty in boss fights.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Physical edition preorders open 10/14: https://www.ngdevdirect.com/blogs/news/ ... on-for-nsw
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

1000 RE and 1000 (of 1500) LEs this year and the remaining units as in-stock orders in January 2024. For the in-stock units we can accept PayPal. More REs will be reprinted too in 2024. So if you don't get one this year next year is another chance.
This game is cool, but I think I'm done with NGDev physical releases. Just not worth the stress and effort of trying to log in a ten second window before they're all relisted on ebay. If NGDev ever figures out how to do actual preorders, I'll take another look.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

But didn't you hear that open preorders are ponzi schemes? :P
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sumez wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:29 pmBut didn't you hear that open preorders are ponzi schemes? :P
Actual criminal activity, even! :P
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:29 pm But didn't you hear that open preorders are ponzi schemes? :P
Eyyy!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was able to get Gunlord X without too much trouble. However, I set my clock.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Preorders for the Switch version are up. 15 minutes in and still some for sale. Not sure how fast they'll move, but hopefully you'll get one if you want it!
\https://www.ngdevdirect.com
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Quite happy going digital here but good to know that it was basically no problem to get it for anyone that wanted.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, it's still available, so hopefully people won't be complaining (as much) this time :)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

The product page gives this info:

As this is a pre-order we aren't allowed to accept PayPal. Only Credit Card and Klarna payments are possible. Paypal purchases will be possible in January 2024.

This is only a small initial print run of 1000 units. But the game will be made available again in January 2024 in a larger capacity as a in-stock order that can be sold via PayPal.

So even if you miss out this time around, there'll still be an easier chance to get it later.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Not sure if it'll be easier or not. They probably did this to finance the run, and will just dump the remaining stock in the store when it arrives. So it depends on how many people are on the lookout in January. Not sure why this took so long though, i remember razion selling out in seconds.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

It was available for over 12 hours, that's practically retail territory in this day and age.
spmbx wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:42 amNot sure why this took so long though, i remember razion selling out in seconds.
Well, one small reason is that they've cut down on the countries they're shipping to. I was there on the dot, had the game in my cart...and couldn't buy it because they're not shipping to Finland anymore. I did buy Razion EX from them back in 2021 (it took like four minutes to sell out, btw) so I have no idea why they're not shipping there now. Sent them a message through a few channels but haven't heard anything back yet.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wasn't Razion the game that wasn't available digitally when they opened orders for the physical? Or was that Gunlord?
jehu

Post by jehu »

Sumez wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:37 pm Wasn't Razion the game that wasn't available digitally when they opened orders for the physical? Or was that Gunlord?
Yeah, that was Razion. They claimed it wouldn't be available digitally and it caused (a rather artificial) rush on the physical copies.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That'll do it :)
FRO

Post by FRO »

Anyone else playing on Switch? I'm putting some time into Handheld mode, and it seems like maybe the ships in that are nerfed somehow, where the damage output isn't as high. Is it just me, or is that something others have noticed as well?
AZA

Post by AZA »

Honestly this looks like NGDEV’s best game yet. Paired with a vertical HD monitor & an arcade stick, I bet this game will be quite good.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Been playing this game a bit last week. When I first tried it, I wasn't entirely sold on the art style. But lately it's been growing on me. The player ship designs kinda remind me of Chaos Field, and the enemy bullets look tasty enough to eat.

I also came to really appreciate the crosshair centered on the player's hitbox indicator. This game does a lot of subtle things to be beginner-friendly without being patronizing or handholding.