Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Starfighter

Re: Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

Post by Starfighter »

I really enjoyed the demo, I check Steam daily to see if it's out yet. :) Loved the bomb fragment/bomb scoring mechanic, I think I like when bombs are more than a means of survival or extra score at the end of a stage.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Can we turn off that polygonal shape around the ship? It basically duplicates that charge ornament from left top of the screen. And for me it makes it more difficult to focus on ship & hitbox.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Since the arcade mode is unavailable for the demo, Roguelike -> Minimal seems to be a better representation of the game as it unlocks all the game mechanics (lockons and bombs) right away. Roguelike -> Standard just starts you with normal shot (no lockon or bomb) and honestly feels very blah in the beginning.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Actually, there IS normal mode.

But you choose it from picture, instead of choosing it from text menu (from where you get roguelike and challenge).

Yeah, got me confused as well!
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Starfighter wrote:I really enjoyed the demo, I check Steam daily to see if it's out yet. :) Loved the bomb fragment/bomb scoring mechanic, I think I like when bombs are more than a means of survival or extra score at the end of a stage.
The dev is still actively tweaking things and incorporating feedback, so I'd imagine it will drop late in the month.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

beer gas canister wrote:
Starfighter wrote:I really enjoyed the demo, I check Steam daily to see if it's out yet. :) Loved the bomb fragment/bomb scoring mechanic, I think I like when bombs are more than a means of survival or extra score at the end of a stage.
The dev is still actively tweaking things and incorporating feedback, so I'd imagine it will drop late in the month.
But will it release for PS4 and Switch soon?
beer gas canister

I'd wager that the console releases will happen later than the PC release. NGDEV has ported a bunch of their games to Switch before, so it's likely to appear eventually.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

But not before the end of the year?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This looks to be their best work yet. They've definitely improved over the years.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The game will be released on Steam on November 11th:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/202584 ... 6778563084
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm surprised it's dropping so soon after the demo; I didn't realize it was so far along.

It looked pretty decent from the demo footage, so I'll probably be picking this up once it hits.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The bad news is that console ports for the Switch, PS4, and Xbox One aren't until next year... Screw this, I'm gonna download it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

NG Dev Team won me over Razion EX. I love that game. I'll be there day one for anything new they put out.

P.S. - You really need to play Razion EX.
dark

Post by dark »

Just gave the demo a whirl. Reminded me a LOT of Ghost Blade on dreamcast. I know the linkage between NG Dev Team and HuCast so I'm not that surprised. High res graphics look nice. Maybe some Crimson Clover influence as well. Should be a nice game.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The full game is out now on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2025840/Gunvein/
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Bought the game. It has a long pre-load but otherwise seems to work okay so far on Steam Deck without needing to mess with any settings.

It has great tutorial on the basics of bullet hell games. It covers everything you need to know in a really well laid out manner. And when you complete it you get an achievement called "full extent of the jam." I love it.
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

Yeah, this is fantastic. Really impressed by the tutorial and the depth of everything on offer, especially at that price point.
beer gas canister

Agreed, this is a really impressive piece of work. The Mild setting is approachable but challenging. Bombs and hypers play a major role in this game, as in you bomb and hyper A LOT.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

To Far Away Times wrote:Bought the game. It has a long pre-load but otherwise seems to work okay so far on Steam Deck without needing to mess with any settings.

It has great tutorial on the basics of bullet hell games. It covers everything you need to know in a really well laid out manner. And when you complete it you get an achievement called "full extent of the jam." I love it.
The long pre-load isn't exclusive to the Steam deck.
On my desktop, with a fast SDD, I was surprised to see such a long loading. :mrgreen:

But besides that minor side-note, the game is truly great, and well worth it for those who game on PC, even more so at the rather affordable price point.

I never tried the demo, just watched videos, so this was first contact with the actual game.
And, it's a classy affair all around. Great looking and clean graphics, great soundtrack, fun gameplay, various modes, unlockables, a surprisingly informative and extensive tutorial (I actually died more than once on it!), it's an awesome package.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Yeah, oddly long loading time notwithstanding it's a good game. I'd like to be able to separate focus from lock-on though.
Last edited by sunnshiner on Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
qmish

Post by qmish »

So, stage from demo, was it like stage 1 of full game or, idk, stage 3 or smth?
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Full release is great. Very well done! If I had one minor complaint it's that the ending feels slightly anti-climatic. Needed a final mega boss or something a bit more spectacular. The end credits appear just a bit too abruptly for my tastes.

Still a wonderful ride nonetheless :).
beer gas canister

qmish wrote:So, stage from demo, was it like stage 1 of full game or, idk, stage 3 or smth?
It was stage 1, with the difficulty tuned to the high side on all modes.

A note - the roguelike arrange mode is locked until arcade mode is cleared once, with continues allowed.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Having a great time with this one after just a few runs. How do you see your high scores? The "quit" option after you die says it saves your scores, but all I can see are the top 10 global high scores.
Leander

Post by Leander »

linko9 wrote:Having a great time with this one after just a few runs. How do you see your high scores? The "quit" option after you die says it saves your scores, but all I can see are the top 10 global high scores.
You can't view them in game yet (going to be implemented in a patch, apparently)
The full leaderboards are visible on Steam though: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/202584 ... s/9101002/
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm actually handling myself pretty well so far. I've managed to get all the way to Stage 5 on Intense mode using the Type A ship now.

Edit: Cleared the game on Intense mode, and thankfully, you don't need to 1CC to fight the TLB. However, I still might try a 1CC somewhere down the line.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The graphics look nice, based on the YT vids of the demo.

Which is nice, as most indie shumps look like they're made for phones.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

The type-C ship's fun 8)

Is there a way to make the pre-stage hints stay on the screen longer? They disappear before I get a chance to read them :roll:

Also, fuck the training stage, I just can't do the bullet streaming bit #scrub #filthycasual :lol: