G-Darius HD Worth It?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: G-Darius HD Worth It?

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

It's not me I swear. The other guy is clearly a fraud
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah. Fuck. You're right. Carry on then. (■`w´■)
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

So i bought this as an impulse buy on sale, i've never spent much time with a darius game.

Wow this is really fucking good. The alpha beam is fucking awesome. The bosses are great. The soundtrack is awesome. Can't stop playing it.

I like darius now i guess. Ordered the cozmic collection to see what darius gaiden is all about.

Edit just got the lambda route 1cc. Holy shit i love this fucking game.
davyK

Post by davyK »

WeedyRainfall wrote:So i bought this as an impulse buy on sale, i've never spent much time with a darius game.

Wow this is really fucking good. The alpha beam is fucking awesome. The bosses are great. The soundtrack is awesome. Can't stop playing it.

I like darius now i guess. Ordered the cozmic collection to see what darius gaiden is all about.

Edit just got the lambda route 1cc. Holy shit i love this fucking game.
You will find Gaiden more straightforward. It introduced the capture idea but it's fairly primitive in Gaiden. However I reckon you will have a great time with it.
davyK

Post by davyK »

G-Darius dropped on my doormat yesterday. Early days but it's marvellously good fun.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cool thanks for the link. So the consumer version would be the PS one I guess?

Training mode and replay saving are in! I was hoping for those.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Here's the G-Darius Ver. 2 Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23jsR5jT8U

The boss gadgets look pretty sophisticated - different panels for each of the bosses individual parts. Looks like there was never a better time to dive in. Training mode a godsend, too.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Looks great! I had posted a wishlist earlier in the thread a few months back and this patch is literally everything I wanted. Seeing the boss part HP as well as your own capture HP will be huge for dedicated score chasers. On screen SF motion reminders for the captures is a nice touch too as they can be easy to forget.

Looks like the consumer version won't have the HD upgrade which is fine IMO. The fact that they went the extra mile to include it just shows how much they care about these ports. Especially when most people who want this have already bought it anyway. Amazing stuff.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Especially when most people who want this have already bought it anyway.

Bought it, and are completely happy with it.
Yeah, it's something they totally didn't have to do.
BIL

Post by BIL »

M2 Image
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I happened to jump into the G-Darius HD port a few days ago.

One of the greatest shmups of all time, with one of the all time great ports, gets even better. Based M2.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I’m curious about the consumer version - my understanding was the main differences were in slowdown. Are there other things that make it unique enough to port?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
John4300

Post by John4300 »

CStarFlare wrote:I’m curious about the consumer version - my understanding was the main differences were in slowdown. Are there other things that make it unique enough to port?
More information probably comes from players when it gets released, but it seems like the consumer version doesn't have a HD variant. Maybe they went the extra length to emulate the PSX/PC version? It's a tad odd if it's just for the fact it's more laggy, and probably has the audio cuts when the game loads ... Maybe it would have the easier difficulties and Boss Rush from that version too? Odd, nevertheless. I'm sure someone can tell more about the differences to the arcade version. If it makes you feel at home to play that version, this truly is the definite edition of G-Darius now.

I'd be interested in differences if someone more knowledgeable could tell about those too as I've only played the "Consumer" version.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

There are some minor differences, in additon to the ones mentioned, but the slowdown is the one that really jumps out. It so much slower that some people feel like scores from the PS version shouldn't be compared to arcade.

The boss rush would probably be the most unique thing on the PS. You also had a new FMV intro. All the animated attract scenes and ending were done with compressed FMVs rather than crispy in engine graphics on the arcade. You don't see the splash screen that shows how to capture with B button from the arcade.

Certain safe spots and enemy patterns are tweeked. Some enemy grenades that can/can't be cancelled with laser depending on the version. Graphical details here and there are different.

I wouldn't be the one to create a definitive list of the changes off the top of my head, but maybe with this release it will be easy to create a Prickly Angler style archive of all the minor differences? I'm sure for G Darius, it would be a smaller list than the massive one seen for Darius Gaiden Saturn vs. Arcade. Another game where scores from the console port really can't be considered equivalent to arcade. Even more so than G Darius PS IMO.

But yeah, kind of odd that M2 essentially makes the PS port obsolete then also chooses to represent it on the collection. I dig it though. I'll have to dig back into the PS version here or there for old times sake or just to compare the two.
KAI

Post by KAI »

pc master race!!

jehu

Post by jehu »

C’mon Nintendo, it’s time for the 32:9 Switch already :cry:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

That looks pretty cool. So will it just be those two bosses you can play against or the whole game?
KAI wrote:pc master race!!
Of course in 2022, after something like 10 or 15 years of the PC master race meme, we still can't talk about PC gaming without the obligatory (ironic?) reference to Nazi genocide.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Only those 2 bosses sadly.

also, bruh, wtf..
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The term master race is a clear reference to white supremacist ideology. At first a writer said "PC master race" and "console peasants" to make fun of PC gamers being almost like Nazis with their arrogant attitude about superiority. Later on reddit the term caught on among PC gamers.

Personally I would never associate myself with that phrase since it represents an ideology used to rationalize the enslavement and murder of millions of "lesser" people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_race
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Finally, a release date for Steam. I wonder how much it'll be.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

With the Steam release of G-Darius HD coming next week, I was wondering: have there been any rumours or concrete info about Darius Cozmic Collection Console, and Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ (yeah, I know most of its content is on DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours, but I still want to check those Event mode stages :mrgreen:) releasing on Steam as well?

Hopefully, Taito will release the whole set on PC/Steam, and not leave things at the halfway mark. :)

The Coop wrote:Finally, a release date for Steam. I wonder how much it'll be.
I'm sure the price will be the same as the existing console versions ($29,99/€29,99), with possibly a launch discount.

They may add this release to the existing bundle with the other Darius titles available on Steam, for a further 10% off (they did with Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade).

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... DCCA_PACK/
John4300

Post by John4300 »

I took a look at the G-Darius HD page on Steam, about version 2 of the game.
All the features of G-Darius and more, in this update to the original arcade game!

Beginner mode
Rapid fire button added
Game speed adjustments
Enemy endurance adjustments
Player shield capacity adjustments
Mid-bosses added to some zones
Boss timer & timer bonus system
New and adjusted boss attack patterns
I've understood Ver2 is just mostly more difficult variant of the game, but what do they mean with the "Shield capacity adjustments"? Did they change how the shield works on Ver2 from the normal 3-4-5 hit shield depending on the level? Or maybe this is some poor way of saying they changed the location of shield power-up carrying enemies to make the game more easy or difficult?

Also, if you want to start practicing game, should you start with version 1 or 2?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The arm (barrier) is also weakened, and the "normal arm" in the initial stage is not resistant to contact with the enemy body and can only defend against enemy bullets. In other words, even if you have an arm attached, you will die instantly if you are rammed by an enemy.

Also, the invincible time when hit while equipped with the arm is shorter than the original version, and the durability value of the arm will be reduced with tremendous momentum when it is hit directly by an attack that penetrates the arm.

There is still an upper limit to the durability of the arm, so if the hit is bad, even if the durability of the arm is full, it may peel off in a blink of an eye or die as it is.

In addition, the endurance of captured enemies is also reduced. Since it was originally adjusted with the tactic of "using the captured enemy as a shield" in mind, it is one of the causes of the rapid increase in difficulty along with the above-mentioned arm specification change.
Definitely start with ver. 1. Supposedly ver.2 was meant to be included on the PS as Professional Mode, but the balance changes were so unpopular with players in the arcade that they decided not to include it.

The most boneheaded balance change IMO was making boss scoring largely dependent on a massive timer bonus. So the nuances of keeping bosses alive for multiple attack cycles and seeing all of their patterns goes out the window when playing for score. Seems like an attempt to keep arcade operators happy by drastically reducing play time for a credit.

It will be interesting to see if ver. 2 gains popularity for the first time after this console release as more players can dig into it. It definitely wasn't intended for beginners though.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The update is live, at least for the JP Switch version.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Yeah, it's up in US

Man, 'Consumer Mode'...
When that "Tie-TO!" and the little song came up, that took me waaaaaaaaaayyyy back.
I wasn't expecting that.
From what I recall, the super rough patches of slow down (and the weird speed-ups when you break out of them) are pretty dead on. I'm sure someone will bust out the ps1 and make a comparison video.

But regardless, it's a pretty odd experience playing (what feels to be) the ps1 version of G Darius on the bus. Definitely some cognitive dissonance going on...
KAI

Post by KAI »

I can't believe my pc can't handle this, hope they add some tools to tweak the game or something like that in the future. For now the UI/emulator they are using on this release seems to be really taxing for no good reason.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

NOT into the new gadget that tells you your tech rank before the in-game word wheel is done spinning

Makes betting during that portion impossible... Oh well, I guess it's not on consumer mode (no gadgets are for some reason)

I can't believe my pc can't handle this

Really?? The minimum specs are really... minimal.
Or is it one of those situations where the minimum specs are pretty much horseshit??
KAI

Post by KAI »

I have much more than the min specs, a better cpu, a better igpu, but still Image
Last edited by KAI on Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.