G-Darius HD Worth It?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Klatrymadon

Re: G-Darius HD Worth It?

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just noticed a weird thing with the Japanese Switch version, post-update: the gadget showing the captured enemy is saying "No capture" regardless of my capture status. This is a bummer, because having the Captains' health displayed makes it a lot easier to decide whether to keep them around or alpha beam their asses.

Edit: ah, I can't check it at the moment, but looking at my settings on the Steam version, it's possible this gadget is OFF by default on Switch. But then wouldn't that remove the entire panel?
b112

Post by b112 »

I am really disappointed by the Steam version.

There is no exclusive fullscreen available, only borderless which means no screan tearing like the AC/PS versions did. It changes the feel completely with "fullscreen stutter" as well as raised input lag due to forced vsync.

This in particular is a very sloppy and inexcuseble effort given their magnum opus Futari 360 where you had an insane amount of options *including* counter attacking LCD lag by not only lowering the PCBs lag of 2 frames to 1, no you can lower it even more with deactivating vsync alltogether!

Also tt's been a while but if I remember correctly my PCB doesn't slowdown as much as this version. Then there are the loading slowdowns in between levels that should be only apparent in the PS1 version (which I also own) when the disc is being accessed. Again, can't remember my PCB doing this. The HD version does.

This is not the original arcade experience M2. It's horrible:(
pja

Post by pja »

KAI wrote:I have much more than the min specs, a better better, a better igpu, but still Image
Runs like crap for me too, I believe my specs are a bit better than minimal as well.
Weirdly, I can confirm something that people on the steam forums with the same problem are reporting - the consumer version runs mostly fine (but of course it looks crappier and has emulated slowdown by design :P)

EDIT: someone on Steam forums reports the same having NVIDIA GTX 950 - I'm certainly not up to date on graphics cards, but just by googling this seems way better than minimum specs, and probably better that the recommended ones (but as I said, can't say I'm up to date with this stuff). I feel like there's certainly something that they can fix to make it run better.

EDIT EDIT: also, Cozmic Collection Arcade has basically identical requirements listed, that one runs perfectly for me.
Last edited by pja on Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@Klatrymadon, is there a chance you're looking at the 2P side gadget while playing on 1P side? Yeah, turning the gadget off would remove it completely. Playing the Japan Switch version as well but haven't noticed any capture's health bar not showing up. For midbosses you even get a nice picture and the Street Fighter motion. Actually some of them are more like KOF motions now that I think of it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'll have to try again later but I would not put it past me, haha. I've been switching between 1P and 2P a lot and could definitely just have been a bit dozy earlier. :P

I haven't played G seriously in a few years so I'm just re-learing some half-decent scoring routes, but man, I cant seem to get the 20m on Lambda for love nor money. Always a few hundred thousand short. I'm barely missing any enemy groups, alpha beaming fairly liberally for x4 bonuses, countering every boss for the max possible multiplier, no-missing the course, and so on. Obviously the upper limit on scoring is far above 20m but it's feeling like a ceiling in itself at the moment. :lol:
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I still need to clear Dariusburst CS before getting this game... But I just listened to the soundtrack on youtube, and it's amazing
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Klatrymadon wrote:I'll have to try again later but I would not put it past me, haha. I've been switching between 1P and 2P a lot and could definitely just have been a bit dozy earlier. :P

I haven't played G seriously in a few years so I'm just re-learing some half-decent scoring routes, but man, I cant seem to get the 20m on Lambda for love nor money. Always a few hundred thousand short. I'm barely missing any enemy groups, alpha beaming fairly liberally for x4 bonuses, countering every boss for the max possible multiplier, no-missing the course, and so on. Obviously the upper limit on scoring is far above 20m but it's feeling like a ceiling in itself at the moment. :lol:
You're talking to someone who couldn't figure out how to back out of a menu in M2 K Tiger and had to always reset to get to the main menu.

Are you getting all the midbosses? I think if you get 4 that's a juicy 1.2 million bonus at the end. Quick way to drop a few 100k if you miss a captain. I'm always a big fan of the aforementioned scrub tactic of detonating a bomb so you can point blank the captain's armor.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Oh yeah, I'm getting all the Captains, no sweat (Gray Stripe twice). I'll sometimes detonate at the end of a stage just to get a 3x multiplier on the last few waves, too. I might experiment with different mid-stage branch choices - if one if them can produce 500k more points than my usual choices I'm golden. :)

(I feel like I use loads of alpha beams, but maybe I need to squeeze another one in somewhere, too. I shouldn't be having any trouble hitting this benchmark at all!)
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I don't suppose anyone knows when the Switch version will be updated?
Yoshinoya

Post by Yoshinoya »

- I'll buy that for a Dollar! -
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

The Ver. 2 update doesn't seem to be available in NA for the PS4 version.

Was the Ver. 2 update only released for Japan?
OldSkoolShmuper

sorry for the DP.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

SLG have confirmed the update is coming soon, for both the physical and digital versions. No idea if it's safe to assume Inin copies will see the same update, as they've been much less chatty.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

OldSkoolShmuper wrote:The Ver. 2 update doesn't seem to be available in NA for the PS4 version.

Was the Ver. 2 update only released for Japan?
Not sure. My digital PS4 version was updated, but I bought it from the JP PSN. It does play in English, though.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I imported the Jap Switch cart and it updated in full english and for free. I was really impressed by that. They should have and could have easily charged DLC for that and I'd have paid it.
OldSkoolShmuper

Hmm, maybe I should delete and re-d/l my NA digital version to see if the update/ver 2 is there.

I tried doing an update to the game by pressing the option button but it said I have the latest version.

Edit: Nope that didn't change anything either. The Ver 2 update must not have released for NA yet, is all I can assume.
pja

Post by pja »

Yo they posted this on Steam forums, but only in Japanese so far:
現在、システム要件を満たしていても、特定のグラフィックボード環境においてゲームの動作が極端に遅くなるなどの症状が確認されております。
こちらは今後のアップデートで解消されます。申し訳ございませんが、続報をお待ちください。
google translated:
Currently, even if the system requirements are met, symptoms such as extremely slow game operation have been confirmed in a specific graphic board environment.
This will be resolved in a future update. I'm sorry, but please wait for the follow-up report.
EDIT: and the official message in English:
We've observed an issue with the game running extremely slowly with certain graphic cards, even though minimum system requirements are met.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.
This issue will be resolved in a future update, and we'll let you know more closer to its release.
well I'm waiting ;)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Does using mid-boss special input attacks raise the rank significantly??
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Blinge wrote:Does using mid-boss special input attacks raise the rank significantly??
From what I know it's mainly the difficulty level, the stage, current shot level and ARM shield hits remaining that affect rank. So major things that occur naturally while you're playing that aren't really worth trying to manipulate.

Guess that would explain why M2 opted not to include any rank gadget or settings in the new update? Seems like in the training mode all of the major contributors to rank will be adjusted as you select the shot power and stage etc.

Also I don't think there's nearly as big of a difference between high and low rank as there would be in Darius Gaiden, which is almost like a totally different game when rank is boosted to the max. In other words you can just play G Darius normally without thinking of micromamaging rank or heavily altering your strategies.

It would be interesting to see what a low rank run is like where a player doesn't power up much or pick up shields, but likely the game would just be way harder like that anyway.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Good points! I was going to try some 'rank control' methods on the Mu route to see if the sheer bullet density in zone Theta might reduce slightly, but the few options available to this end are worse than just playing normally (doing the later stages without e.g. a wide wave shot would be horrible). It's just going to take some heavy memo!

By the way, if there are any veterans of this route around, does anyone have a consistent method for dodging Heavy Arms Shell's homing lasers (the five or so that spawn from the top of the screen when he is in the background)? I always seem to get clipped at least once, and so does everyone else I've been watching. I'd really like to dodge that attack cleanly, as there are other parts of the fight that require shields too...
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Klatrymadon wrote:SLG have confirmed the update is coming soon, for both the physical and digital versions. No idea if it's safe to assume Inin copies will see the same update, as they've been much less chatty.
I'm tempted to say yes since they are owned by the same company and AFAIK only Inin is doing the digital, but I'm not 100% sure. I was a little worried since Sagaia included with the Cozmic Revelations bundle never had a proper update, but AC EX+ on the same cart already had a couple updates.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Something to watch out for if you plan on playing the 'Consumer' (PS1) version of this: because there is no dedicated, always-on rapid-fire button in that mode, but varying firing rates you can apply to standard shot buttons, your shot speeds will slow down when the game slows down, to such an extent that you can accidentally charge and fire off an Alpha beam! :lol:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The PC/Steam versions of G-Darius HD, and Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade, received updates today.

At the moment, there's no details as to what was changed, but I'm happy to report the minor problems I had with Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade (mainly, the need to toggle full screen every time I launched the game, since the setting wasn't saving) has been fixed, since it's now saving (no more alt+ENTER every time), and you can now quit the game with the controller. :)
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

We have patch notes.
Fixed an issue where certain graphics cards would cause the game to run slowly
Fixed a freeze which occurred in Ver.2 when certain bosses were shot with the Alpha Beam
Added a slowdown on/off option to Exhibition
Fixed some other minor bugs
pja

Post by pja »

I can confirm this does fix the slowdown issue for me, it's playable now! So it was clearly some sort of blunder, not the case of weirdly high requirements. Time to play the game now ;)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Not to pour salt in the wounds of those waiting for the big Western patch, but there was already another update to G Darius HD. Just bug fixes this time though.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Anyone could explain what's with the "running slow on some PCs" problem in steam port? the game's slowdown is how the PCB plays and even with reduced slowdown mode it still have slowdown moment in some parts but I believe this is intentional (the option name is "reduce" not "remove").
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

There was a bug where the game would run at a complete and utter crawl constantly with some video cards. We're not talking PCB-accurate slowdown, we're talking "it doesn't run right at all"
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I still don't understand, what kind of "complete crawl" it is? I compare my steam replay and PS4/switch video and both are similar slowdown-wise. Does it also run with sound problems, or is it run with obvious frame drops? Maybe a sample video could help.
pja

Post by pja »

copy-paster wrote:I still don't understand, what kind of "complete crawl" it is? I compare my steam replay and PS4/switch video and both are similar slowdown-wise. Does it also run with sound problems, or is it run with obvious frame drops? Maybe a sample video could help.
Literally under 50% speed at all times, and crackling audio to boot. I'm not recording a video of it because they fixed it already :P