G-Darius HD Worth It?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MrOldSchoolCool

G-Darius HD Worth It?

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

Game placed high in the last top 25 poll we did and seems to be a good port from what I've read. Currently only $16 for the physical Switch release on Amazon right now too.
CStarFlare

Re: G-Darius HD Worth It?

Post by CStarFlare »

Yes, G-Darius is great and even if you don't gel with the game, it's an early 3D game that has enough visual style that early 32 bit polygons don't hinder the game at all. $16 is totally fair.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, that's an absolute steal for one of the best games ever. As CSF suggests, it's worth playing just as an immense and unique aesthetic experience of a kind we'll never see again, but it's also lots of fun and has a good amount of scoring depth (relative to most of its series, at least). It's the complete package. :)
JJHLH

Post by JJHLH »

G-Darius is definitely worth it. M2 did another great job porting it.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Not a huge Darius fan, but at $16 I couldn't resist. This is the same way they got me on the Darius Arcade Collection.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

G-Darius is an all-timer. If you even remotely like horizontal shmups I think it's a must play.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

G-Darius might not be in my top 3 shmups of all time, but it's definitely in my top 3 of shmups I had the most fun with.

Great mechanics. Stellar soundtrack (though admittedly not for everyone). Incredibly satisfying to master the capture/beam mechanic and boss strats. Replayability! The graphics are old but what can ya do.

You probably won't regret getting it. Probably.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Just received mine and thank god that fucking 9/10 sticker is just on the wrapper

Too busy with dfk to start yet. And eschatos. Switch library is fucking crazy.
heli

Post by heli »

How about the gadgets ?
The soundtrack is very great yes,
only the game not my style when you shoot fishies backwards.
I have it on the emulator and it runs very good, saving 30 euros.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm not a series fan, but I think G is amazing. Still an absolute audiovisual feast, and the capture mechanic is fun as hell. Loving it at the moment.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

Thanks for the post, didn't know it was discounted, got a copy.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, tempted to pick it up, this feels like a game that could really benefit from the HD upscaling.
But when shipping costs more than the game itself, it might not be worth it. :|
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Noticed it's cheap over where I live as well, picked up a copy. Can't wait for this, and I'm glad M2 has included the option for original resolution rendering with scanlines. The low-poly models and unfiltered textures combined with fixed point precision just don't look good in HD and need a CRT, imo.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Totally worth it. It's a great Darius game and a great shooter. M2 did a great job updating the 3D models while retaining that classic (and increasingly aped by indie devs) 32-bit look. I bought a disc version for $40 for PS4 and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

edit: The mechanics can be a bit overwhelming at first. Stick with it and you'll find your performance keeps steadily improving for a long fucking time. Music is pretty dope too, tho not a good as Darius Gaiden IMO. Bosses look killer with the new (slightly touched up) models.
postman

Post by postman »

Is the US ps4 disc version out yet? I emailed the company about a release date and got no response.........all the ebay listings seem to be non-US copies.....
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

postman wrote:Is the US ps4 disc version out yet? I emailed the company about a release date and got no response.........all the ebay listings seem to be non-US copies.....
I got my disc at my local independent game shop (you know, the ones that low-ball the fuck out of anyone that brings them games to sell). Everything on the box and in-game is in English, I think it's from a European or Asian publisher. I can check latter when I get home. Don't think the US release has happened yet, if it ever will...
postman

Post by postman »

I think at the bottom left rating, if it's the white "E" for everyone it's the US version, if it's the green "7" then it's European - this is the one I see on Ebay currently.

I prefer hard copies to digital, so I'll wait for the disc to come out, even if its months out.
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

scrilla4rella wrote: I can check latter when I get home. Don't think the US release has happened yet, if it ever will...
ININ Games. Sie sind deutsch.
(did I do that right?)
BIL

Post by BIL »

M2's STG releases this gen have been exemplary. Not just for STGs, or even arcade games, but for the art of enhanced archivals in general. Basically, if you have the slightest liking for the game in question, they'll deliver in spades. The sort of reference-standard console releases that are worth keeping next to the OG boards and carts. I wish even one other dev had their passion. (referring to the ShotTriggers super deluxe boutique model; Hamster are great for frequent, rock-solid emulation of often underloved gems, a different discipline I'd also love to see more devs get right)
Gaiaresis1

Post by Gaiaresis1 »

Does anyone know if the version 2.0 update was released? I seem to remember them saying it was going to come late this year?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I’ve really fallen behind on recent releases. Very happy to have snagged this at such a good price!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Gaiaresis1 wrote:Does anyone know if the version 2.0 update was released? I seem to remember them saying it was going to come late this year?
No sign of it yet. Looking forward to it though. There are quite a lot of helpful features that I'm betting they'll add. G Darius could really use boss health bars broken down by destructible parts, captured enemy health bars, on screen indicator of what the SF2 style motion is for your capture, ability to save replays, rank gauge, training mode with ability to adjust rank and shot level etc. As good as the port is these things would make it even better.

I think rank is fairly straightforward and understanding and manipulating the system isn't nearly as important for scoring as is it in Gaiden for example, but a rank gauge would still be nice to have.

The inclusion of ver. 2 is cool, but I probably won't put too much time into it. IMO the original is the preferred version. One of the worst balance changes IMO was the addition of a boss timer bonus that gives a massive score. A signature of scoring in G Darius is dragging out the boss fights forever all while keeping the mid boss capture barely alive using alpha beam cancelling and careful maneuvering. Just giving a huge bonus for quick killing bosses takes a lot of that out and is pure heresy lol.

One cool change they made in ver. 2 was adding separate leaderboards by route. G Darius had a problem where one route has a massively higher scoring potential and the PCB permanently saves scores. This could end up deincentivizing the lower scoring routes in an arcade setting.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

MrOldSchoolCool wrote:Game placed high in the last top 25 poll we did and seems to be a good port from what I've read. Currently only $16 for the physical Switch release on Amazon right now too.
Yes G-Darius HD is absolutely worth it, since you can get it by itself without having to buy Cozmic Revelation, don't need to import it physically or have a Japanese PSN or Switch eShop account.
It's a great game and I prefer it to any version Dariusburst.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I've not picked this up yet, I'm also not the biggest Darius fan but always enjoyed Gaiden and G, I have many other ways to play it though, but I do like to support M2.

I picked up Arcade collection a while back but haven't put a great deal of time into it yet.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Had ordered Burst for Switch but cancelled that and ordered G. £24 on Amazon UK. Love Gaiden. Haven't played much of G - only messed about with the Taito Legends port on PS2 so I'll get plenty of value out of it.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

davyK wrote:Had ordered Burst for Switch but cancelled that and ordered G. £24 on Amazon UK. Love Gaiden. Haven't played much of G - only messed about with the Taito Legends port on PS2 so I'll get plenty of value out of it.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It was far too fast on PS2 Taito Legends 2; everything feels far more manageable in the PS4 port. Also the multiple save states allow for those long boss battles to be practiced and perfected. It's a small detail, but I also really liked the bestiary - not only does it tell you what you've caught, but also gives you a move list for the individual midlevel bosses you've captured.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I think we've been asking the wrong questions here....

What is it and how do we know its worth?
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
PerishedFraud ឵឵ ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ ឵឵ »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I think we've been asking the wrong questions here....

What is it and how do we know its worth?

H
It's me!
Play to win. Win for fun. Can you do the can can?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Fraudy you godless animal, apologise for your double post with a third post, as is tradition (■`w´■)