TATE Astro mini with Batrider, Batsugun, Outzone and more!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
banjoted

Re: TATE Astro mini with Batrider, Batsugun, Outzone and mor

Post by banjoted »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
harborline765 wrote:But as this thread shows, people are happy with anything, so we'll get more of this instead of more of the other as it's been happening for some time now.
Dude, this really grates. I totally understand the desire for accurate emulation and, in turn, more compelling experiences. But by the same token, so many of us bemoan how niche this genre is, and you have to wonder what puts people off more - unauthentic emulation or tech gatekeeping? Mind you, I think a lot of folk round these parts would be perfectly happy for shmups to remain a tightly guarded little club. Although, of course, they also want it to be a niche that developers and publishers are for some reason happy to plough endless resources into to service a tiny, almost impossible to please community.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I don't know, I'll hardly believe that quick'n'dirty solutions are a good way to introduce old games to new people. The kind that usually laughs at these for their blocky graphics 'cause they haven't had a chance yet to see them as they should (RGB CRTs).

We can't ask for CRTs at this point but that still in 2022 it's either, a tiny LCD or a 720p output with basically no chance for palatable CRT simulation is well, a joke, particularly when we're talking of some of the pixel art peaks here. Not to mention underpowered devices implies more input and audio lag, or the ergonomy of the default controller... The niche just gained another argument.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Looking forward to a youtube video of someone completing Tatsujin Oh on one of these.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:it's indeed a shame this likely implies we won't get say, an M2 Batrider on a proper system in many years now. But as this thread shows, people are happy with anything, so we'll get more of this instead of more of the other as it's been happening for some time now.
I don't think these are the same audiences. Mini consoles produced into the 6 figures consistently sell out, shmup releases regardless of quality are a niche which struggle to break 10k. M2 does ShotTriggers as a side thing; some of the releases like Ketsui & Esp.Ra.De. have been very successful as the genre goes, but it still doesn't pay the bills.

By the same token, while there will be overlap in this instance the market for $40 focused software releases and $200 mini toys aren't the same either. I don't think this machine will stop M2 from continuing their stated goal of releasing every Toaplan game. Sky Shark/Fire Shark is next up in the spring, but you'd have to figure a Tatsujin release would be following after.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

CRP wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote: I have my original AC mini hooked up to a monitor and it's great.
Sweet, done easily ?
Yes, it's just HDMI out. Any TV or monitor with HDMI is fair game.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

One of the bottlenecks for a rerelease of Armed Police Batrider by M2 is that it runs even slower than Battle Garegga, as the game came out afterwards. Overall, games from the latter half of the 90s are barely able to run with the PS4’s specs in M2 rereleases.
https://www.siliconera.com/m2-discusses ... -and-more/

Would someone mind elaborating, from a technical perspective, on what exactly the problem is.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

So is there a way to ship it to the US? I'm having trouble getting past the step to enter the shipping add. It wants a prefecture from a drop-down of set choices. Is there a trick or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I don't know, I'll hardly believe that quick'n'dirty solutions are a good way to introduce old games to new people. The kind that usually laughs at these for their blocky graphics 'cause they haven't had a chance yet to see them as they should (RGB CRTs).

We can't ask for CRTs at this point but that still in 2022 it's either, a tiny LCD or a 720p output with basically no chance for palatable CRT simulation is well, a joke, particularly when we're talking of some of the pixel art peaks here. Not to mention underpowered devices implies more input and audio lag, or the ergonomy of the default controller... The niche just gained another argument.
While indeed I don’t think we can ask for CRTs in these systems, I’d be glad to buy them if they offered decent quality analog 15/31 kHz RGB out.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

rapoon wrote:Would someone mind elaborating, from a technical perspective, on what exactly the problem is.
It's their standard of emulation. Of course games of that vintage can run on the PS4, but M2 wouldn't sign off on the emulation both being accurate enough and performing 100%.

They seem to have shifted their standard, though, as they have moved on to release titles that they claimed around that time were out of reach.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Great line up, minus Wrestle War.
This is the kind of thing I hate to want, but don’t want to hate.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Jesus, that lineup...
But, it's $175 and could be shitty
And if I wait to hear the 'word' it could be $300+ (if it isn't shitty, maybe if it even is)

Jesus, that lineup...

(Yes, I've been reduced to writing poetry about the matter)

Anyway, I always fucking loved Congo Bongo
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
harborline765 wrote:I wish Congo Bongo made the cut. It's not as interesting a game as Donkey Kong, but it's a fascinating history piece and the arcade version is much better than the SG1000 port: https://nintendosegajapan.com/2016/01/2 ... go-sg1000/
Both are on the PS360 Mega Drive collection as bonuses. I miss when this sort of thing got an actual release for consoles and not a weird standalone device.
FWIW, Congo Bongo is also on the PS2 Sega Ages 2500 Series (Vol. 23: Sega Memorial Selection), which also includes has Head On, Tranquilizer Gun, Borderline, and Doki Doki Penguin Land. Great port, plus each game has a remade version. These look pretty nice and play well; I adore the remade Tranquilizer Gun, but Congo Bongo is pretty solid too. I suppose that makes this the definitive Congo Bongo experience? Kind of expensive these days, over $100 for a used copy.

Some good pictures here.
Last edited by hamfighterx on Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Anywhere to preorder this outside of Japan yet?

I bought the regular mini from amazon jp, but they dont carry this one
jehu

Post by jehu »

Buffi wrote:Anywhere to preorder this outside of Japan yet?

I bought the regular mini from amazon jp, but they dont carry this one
I don't think it's available for order yet, but here's the amazon.jp link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09NRJCPW3/?th=1&psc=1
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFlUiRyQeA

Some of the games played through here. Visuals look a bit blurry, but what do you guys make of their accuracy otherwise?
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Pretty cool, but it seems like a lot of these games were at least rumored to be on the on deck circle for Shottriggers release or some kind of rerelease. Hopefully this doesn't hinder those that were actially going to get rereleased. Astro City is a neat novelty, but not sure if it is the best platform for a lot of these games.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Pretty cool, but it seems like a lot of these games were at least rumored to be on the on deck circle for Shottriggers release or some kind of rerelease. Hopefully this doesn't hinder those that were actially going to get rereleased. Astro City is a neat novelty, but not sure if it is the best platform for a lot of these games.
It shouldn't affect the M2 release lineup, and there's good reason to believe that just based on the fact that Same!x3 is included + already on the way in Spring 2022 through Shottriggers.

I don't know anyone who'd pass on a Tatsujin collection with all the bells and whistles because they've got the Astro on their desk.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

bigbadboaz wrote:
rapoon wrote:They seem to have shifted their standard, though, as they have moved on to release titles that they claimed around that time were out of reach.
Or their tech has improved.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

Martinov wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFlUiRyQeA

Some of the games played through here. Visuals look a bit blurry, but what do you guys make of their accuracy otherwise?
On Raiden the sound/music is a little bit off, but only slightly. I also noticed they're using the original Japanese set 1 that has checkpoints. Raiden with checkpoints is pretty brutal so I hope there is an option to use one of the two later Japan revisions that turns checkpoints off.

I didn't notice anything in Bakraid but it's been forever since I played it.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Would much rather have Raiden DX.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

reckon luck wrote:Would much rather have Raiden DX.
Especially since Raiden has already been ported through the arcade archives. Interesting that Sonic Wings is here since Hamster owns the rights. Hopefully, that will show up on ACA soon.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Someone needs to mod this with a jamma edge: Yo dawg, I heard you like Astro City, so we put a jamma edge on your Astro City so you can play your Astro City in your Astro City.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:
reckon luck wrote:Would much rather have Raiden DX.
Especially since Raiden has already been ported through the arcade archives. Interesting that Sonic Wings is here since Hamster owns the rights. Hopefully, that will show up on ACA soon.
Or more interestingly, the Sega games from the Minis on the Arcade Archives, in exchange.

JBueno MD wrote:
While indeed I don’t think we can ask for CRTs in these systems, I’d be glad to buy them if they offered decent quality analog 15/31 kHz RGB out.
Sure mate. They don't even need to make an analog output as that would go against today's tech and rise the price, just an (hidden) option to output native (and 480p as well) resolutions - a DAC will do the rest.

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:it's indeed a shame this likely implies we won't get say, an M2 Batrider on a proper system in many years now. But as this thread shows, people are happy with anything, so we'll get more of this instead of more of the other as it's been happening for some time now.
I don't think these are the same audiences. Mini consoles produced into the 6 figures consistently sell out, shmup releases regardless of quality are a niche which struggle to break 10k. M2 does ShotTriggers as a side thing; some of the releases like Ketsui & Esp.Ra.De. have been very successful as the genre goes, but it still doesn't pay the bills.

By the same token, while there will be overlap in this instance the market for $40 focused software releases and $200 mini toys aren't the same either. I don't think this machine will stop M2 from continuing their stated goal of releasing every Toaplan game. Sky Shark/Fire Shark is next up in the spring, but you'd have to figure a Tatsujin release would be following after.
This not an ordinary mini, even if wrongly made, it's clearly aimed at hardcore audiences - they even hired the Mikado guy. An M2 Tatsujin will likely happen not too late because they announced it along with the entire Toaplan catalog. But if Batrider already had some reasons to keep it in the waiting list, here's another. And yeah, M2 tries to also please the hardcore's hardcore, but there aren't 10k of those, in my opinion.

Somebody found and linked on another forum the actual developer of this and I don't think it's widely known - it's a company called Zuiki which has been using the same ARM-based system on a chip ever since the Megadrive Mini:

https://www.zuiki.co.jp/casestudy/game6/

https://www.zuiki.co.jp/products/z7213/
biocat

Post by biocat »

Can't wait for this thing. I already preordered on Amazon.jp and the Amazon limited ones with the bonus digital wallpaper are still there. I see the previous Astro Minis in used game shops pretty often, but I think this one has a better chance of becoming rare based on how a niche shmup tate cab is.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

biocat wrote:Can't wait for this thing. I already preordered on Amazon.jp and the Amazon limited ones with the bonus digital wallpaper are still there. I see the previous Astro Minis in used game shops pretty often, but I think this one has a better chance of becoming rare based on how a niche shmup tate cab is.
Can you post the amazon link to where you preordered? My searching only turns up a 'temporarily out of stock' option. Maybe it's out of stock for American shipping?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I'd like that too, the link jehu posted earlier says it's out of stock, or they just haven't opened pre-orders yet. Or maybe the first batch of pre-orders sold out really quickly?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
biocat

Post by biocat »

reckon luck wrote:
biocat wrote:Can't wait for this thing. I already preordered on Amazon.jp and the Amazon limited ones with the bonus digital wallpaper are still there. I see the previous Astro Minis in used game shops pretty often, but I think this one has a better chance of becoming rare based on how a niche shmup tate cab is.
Can you post the amazon link to where you preordered? My searching only turns up a 'temporarily out of stock' option. Maybe it's out of stock for American shipping?
(2022年夏発売予定) アストロシティミニ V【Amazon.co.jp限定】デジタル壁紙 配信
by Amazon.co.jp
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09NRJCPW3/ ... 43H928X6S0

This one is in stock!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

banjoted wrote: Dude, this really grates. I totally understand the desire for accurate emulation and, in turn, more compelling experiences. But by the same token, so many of us bemoan how niche this genre is, and you have to wonder what puts people off more - unauthentic emulation or tech gatekeeping? Mind you, I think a lot of folk round these parts would be perfectly happy for shmups to remain a tightly guarded little club. Although, of course, they also want it to be a niche that developers and publishers are for some reason happy to plough endless resources into to service a tiny, almost impossible to please community.
0 people in the world have decided to stop playing shmups because of other people "tech gatekeeping" new releases.

I don't think it's much to ask for a release that displays the games just looking like they are supposed to, and not ending up [making a notoriously challenging genre] harder to play due to additional lag.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

biocat wrote:
reckon luck wrote:
(2022年夏発売予定) アストロシティミニ V【Amazon.co.jp限定】デジタル壁紙 配信
by Amazon.co.jp
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09NRJCPW3/ ... 43H928X6S0

This one is in stock!
That's the same product as jehu's from earlier, and it shows out of stock for me. Maybe it is a regional thing?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!