TATE Astro mini with Batrider, Batsugun, Outzone and more!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: TATE Astro mini with Batrider, Batsugun, Outzone and mor

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The Pi 3 power supply is a 2.5 A output - back when the PC Engine Mini came out, reports were that using it would kill the controller ports. Damn thing was "recommended" to take 2 A but it seems they meant 2 A maximum. I guess this thing's CPU only runs at full pelt if you give it enough juice!

Not providing a power supply to reduce waste "because people probably already have one" is only fine if the device's power requirements are stated. Otherwise you get nonsense like this, where performance varies or it blows the internals.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Has anyone tested the Brook Universal Fighting Board with the the Astro Mini V yet?
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I'm looking at adapters and can someone tell me exactly which Pi3 adapter to buy for these awesome results lol. Amazon has several and they are rated from 2.4 to 3.0, which one do I buy? Link?????? :D Thanks!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Not providing a power supply to reduce waste "because people probably already have one" is only fine if the device's power requirements are stated. Otherwise you get nonsense like this, where performance varies or it blows the internals.
The power requirements are stated in the Mini V's manual at the very least, and it's 5V/2.0A. Even if you don't know Japanese, it's still fairly easy to surmise since those are numbers listed next to the charger cord's data. I have my system plugged into a power extension cord that has USB ports which do 5V/2.4A.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Not providing a power supply to reduce waste "because people probably already have one" is only fine if the device's power requirements are stated. Otherwise you get nonsense like this, where performance varies or it blows the internals.
Could not agree more. It's madness.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

banjoted wrote:
Could not agree more. It's madness.
But the power requirements are stated. If, after purchasing a product, you don't read the manual and you experience adverse effects because of it, that's nobody's fault but your own.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TransatlanticFoe

But you've chosen to ignore them and are using a higher than stated current - which kind of proves my point... just ship your device with a power supply and avoid all doubt. It's good that it's stated in the manual but seems to have been largely ignored anyway - leading to reviews/impressions with another variable in the mix regarding basic performance.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:But you've chosen to ignore them and are using a higher than stated current - which kind of proves my point... just ship your device with a power supply and avoid all doubt. It's good that it's stated in the manual but seems to have been largely ignored anyway - leading to reviews/impressions with another variable in the mix regarding basic performance.
That's not how a PSU works.

You have a Power-Rating, a voltage level and the amount of current that a PSU can source.

Having a higher level of current than is strictly required will not cause the device to 'sink more current' - it will only 'take' what it requires.

This does not apply to voltage levels: if it says "5V DC" or "12V DC" then it means ONLY 5V and if you pass in a higher level than it's designed to run on then you will at the very least degrade the components and the worst blow the thing up/etc.

A little clarity I felt was in order.
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Ghegs wrote:
The power requirements are stated in the Mini V's manual at the very least, and it's 5V/2.0A. Even if you don't know Japanese, it's still fairly easy to surmise since those are numbers listed next to the charger cord's data. I have my system plugged into a power extension cord that has USB ports which do 5V/2.4A.
To be honest, 2A does seem like quite a lot of current for such a device. But all the same: if it states a required amperage of 2A then it needs that as a minimum. Using a higher current rating is not going to harm it, but if you choose to use a lower rated PSU then no, it will not work at all or have issues.

5VDC/2.0A requirement would work with a 5VDC/2.4A PSU and I don't think that it minds what the polarity is as it's from a USB in any case.

I agree though: to even up the odds and give people an even playing field, it would have helped tremendously to have packed in a PSU.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

This may seem absurd, but I buy mini consoles to rip the ROMs off as a way to play these games legally and with better emulation (i.e lower lag). Unfortunately the Astro City Mini has not been hacked yet. I hate that I have to do this, it's ridiculous.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Got mine today.
Batrider is completely unplayable.
The older games have less lag but still feel real rough.

Guessing Sonic Wings has 7+ frames or something from how it feels. Batrider is way worse than that.

Playing with a 2.1A 5v psu if that actually makes a difference (seems weird).

Definitely just a toy, which is about what i expected
Steven

Post by Steven »

I've been plugging it into my computer. Oh well. I guess I'll just continue to use the MiSTer or suffer with MAME's eyeball-destroying stutter in games that run below 59.94Hz.
BillyKane

Post by BillyKane »

Received mine yesterday, I did a quick video to share my thoughts and impressions here: https://youtu.be/_KFlNtn7P2s

I've tested it with several chargers (though not going over 5V 2A which is what is clearly stated as recommended on both the box and in the manual), external HDmi output, with the official Astro City Mini stick, etc. In short, the level of input lag is really bad even when running older games. Many people are reporting that the older games feels OK to them but I completely disagree, they just feel less bad but still awful.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Well I don’t know what to say…I’m really confused.
I’ve been playing it for hours today…again pi3 ac, mega drive mini Asia ver. Control pad, HDMI out, Tated. feels great to me.
Will find a way to capture some footage.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Without the input-lag issue, this would have been a gem.
There's too much input-lag on some games for sure, but still I think this little thing deserves some love.
cawley1

Post by cawley1 »

Mine arrived late yesterday, but I decided to hold off setting it up until I had some time on my own.

I found an old Amazon 5W plug (Input:100-240v~0.20A 50/60Hz Output:5.25V---1.0A). With trepidation I powered this thing on expecting a shit-fest, and I can't honestly see what all the fuss is about!!!

Maybe it's just my 46 year-old eyes and reflexes, and while I love my SHMUP's I am no expert (I own a couple of PCB's, but haven't played them in years and I'll never 1CC anything!) but what's the issue? I checked a few games I am familiar with (Tatsujin Ou, Raiden) and they seemed fine to me. I had a go on Batrider, which I haven't really played before and managed to get to the second stage - again, didn't seem too horiffic to me.

So, considering after a few days of reading posts and watching video's I was prepared for the worst, this is much better that I was expecting. I expect most casual retro gamers and collectors will be in the same boat. Happy with my purchase!

Edit - I just saw the 5v 2a thing in a post above. I have a number of 5v plugs here but all at 1v, however given I can't see an issue I am not sure if a 2a plug would make any difference for me!
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:The Pi 3 power supply is a 2.5 A output - back when the PC Engine Mini came out, reports were that using it would kill the controller ports. Damn thing was "recommended" to take 2 A but it seems they meant 2 A maximum. I guess this thing's CPU only runs at full pelt if you give it enough juice!

Not providing a power supply to reduce waste "because people probably already have one" is only fine if the device's power requirements are stated. Otherwise you get nonsense like this, where performance varies or it blows the internals.

This doesn't make any sense to me , the amps output is what a machine can maximum pull from the PSU, not how much It's pushing out .
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Casey120 wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:The Pi 3 power supply is a 2.5 A output - back when the PC Engine Mini came out, reports were that using it would kill the controller ports. Damn thing was "recommended" to take 2 A but it seems they meant 2 A maximum. I guess this thing's CPU only runs at full pelt if you give it enough juice!

This doesn't make any sense to me , the amps output is what a machine can maximum pull from the PSU, not how much It's pushing out .
I am glad to see someone else who understands what amperage is 8)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

So mine arrived a day early. But had I known DHL was hurrying to bring me completely unplayable garbage, I would have told them not to bother...

Spoiler
SIKE! This thing fucking rules
TransatlanticFoe

MintyTheCat wrote:
Casey120 wrote:

I am glad to see someone else who understands what amperage is 8)
Well it was trashing the controller ports of PC Engine Minis, so however that could possibly happen... it did and it seemed a relevant thing to bring up. But thanks for being unnecessarily patronising!
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Well it was trashing the controller ports of PC Engine Minis, so however that could possibly happen... it did and it seemed a relevant thing to bring up. But thanks for being unnecessarily patronizing!
Don't be mad, it wasn't meant to be patronizing but it's just not how electricity works .
Apparently the Pi 3 PSU is not 5 but 5.1 volts and that .1 was enough to fry the finicky chip of the USB controller ports from the PC engine mini .
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Well it was trashing the controller ports of PC Engine Minis, so however that could possibly happen... it did and it seemed a relevant thing to bring up. But thanks for being unnecessarily patronising!
My comments weren't aimed at you.

It is a machine, it is not voodoo and it has an expected range of operating parameters. If you in any doubt then test what the load on controllers are or the machine itself, but the manufacturer's specs are just that: specs - it is your job as someone wishing to use the machine to match what the machine requires with a suitable PSU.

Now calm the fuck down.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Got mine a few hours ago and just taken it for a spin.

Hooked it up the old Doc Brown way using 1.21 gigawatts... and I have to say I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm not keen on using the direct stick input as my stick is quite stiff (oooer), and if anything was affecting input it was that.

Anyhoo, hooked up to my Panasonic in tate mode was always going to be the preferred method using the Astro pad as the controller of choice.

In tate mode using Arcade filter 2, this thing looks amazing. This is the filter the first Astro Mini should have had, it really does look like an arcade CRT on my setup.

As for input lag... well, I'm not saying there isn't any, but I didn't notice any input issues that affected my gameplay. Just had a blast with Outzone and Bakraid and I can't complain at all. Played some Batrider, that seems fine as well... and I'm still shit at it too.

I'll try some of the others later. But, yeah, after getting a bit down reading some of the previous feedback, I now don't know what all the fuss is about.
So, yeah, seems your mileage may vary.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Tarma wrote: Hooked it up the old Doc Brown way using 1.21 jiggawatts....
fixed
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:I buy mini consoles to rip the ROMs off as a way to play these games legally and with better emulation (i.e lower lag). Unfortunately the Astro City Mini has not been hacked yet. I hate that I have to do this.
But you don't. Just go get the ROMs.

1) If you've bought the thing, you have the rights. You don't strictly have to rip them from the hardware, just go get the same ROMs.
2) Shit like this - going on OVER TWENTY-FIVE YEARS since games of this vintage have been emulatable - is why grey emulation should be 100% permissible. Again,
companies have had _that much_ time to get off their asses and offer an experience worthy of consumers' payment. It's a two-way street. If they can't show
respect to their own properties - and respect to those they're taking money from in producing a competent product - fuck 'em. These games have huge value to
those who grew up with them; they shouldn't be off-limits, nor should they be compromised.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I’m in love with this little thing.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

My only real complaint is that I wish the unit had a little more weight to it. Often, I'll make a quick move and the whole thing will tip.
That, and I wish the screen was a little bigger. While they don't have any 'bullet hell' titles, stuff like the Psikyo games get pretty crowded pretty quickly, and it's a little too easy to lose the script.

As for the lag elephant in the room? Man, I don't know. I apologize if you've heard this one from me before, but in the past 6-7 years:

"Man, I SWEAR I hit 'bomb' in time!!!"

got replaced with:

"Man, the lag on this thing is RIDICULOUS! It's unplayable!!!"

But my answer remains the same:

"Get better at hitting 'bomb' quicker..."
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Tarma wrote: I'll try some of the others later. But, yeah, after getting a bit down reading some of the previous feedback, I now don't know what all the fuss is about.
So, yeah, seems your mileage may vary.
I am quite excited and eager to get my hands on my machine. It has arrived at my home but I'm not at home now and I have to wait.
My tatsujin-ou PCB no longer works and as such I haven't been able to play it for a few years, and since moving house, it's now a hassle to even get the Supergun out and play PCBs. I wanted this machine to allow me to play many of my PCBs but there are some titles that I have never played such as Out Zone.

I have high hopes for it, but solving the video out, controller in and ensuring that a suitable power solution is found will have many sitting on the fence. Many initial videos on YT were not all that favourable, and in a way they really could have prevented many of these issues by supplying a suitable PSU. I still feel that 2A+ is quite a large requirement and clearly most gamers aren't going to know that the power is a culprit for under-performance.

I am quite eager though and will try it in a few days' time once back home :) Still toying with the idea of passing to the girlfriend to wrap up for my birthday though.
BillyKane

Post by BillyKane »

DenimDemon wrote:Well I don’t know what to say…I’m really confused.
I’ve been playing it for hours today…again pi3 ac, mega drive mini Asia ver. Control pad, HDMI out, Tated. feels great to me.
Will find a way to capture some footage.
To be fair you're not the only one reporting improved performance when using a 3A charger, I've seen a few people on Twitter claiming the same thing. I've been using 2A at the moment because that's what is listed on the box and the manual but I've ordered a 3A charger which should arrive on Friday. I will report here if I notice any difference. The input lag I'm getting with 2A is honestly horrendous (at least 10 frames of input lag on Battle Bakraid and Batrider) so any sort of improvement would be great.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

No one on their right mind can say it performs flawlessly…
But near unplayable is also pretty far from my experience…and this comes from someone who has experience with Outzone and Raiden pcb. I also have to recognise on how well the games run. No glitches, frame skipping, slowdowns, graphical shimmering or bugs that I have noticed. They sound pretty good too.
If I knew mini cabs were this fun i would’ve have got one before. Might need to check the other Minis now. Neo, Egret etc