SaiDaiOuJou in mame

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: SaiDaiOuJou in mame

Post by EmperorIng »

EmperorIng wrote:I was getting frustrated last night until I realized I had 0 slowdown trying to dodge these patterns.

I've heard some people use something like 67cpu 30-something blitter? Need scoops and facts.
el_rika wrote:43 mhz / 57% (Shot/Laser)
39.3 mhz / 56% (Ex)
Thanks el_rika! I'll try that out tonight or tomorrow. One of my buds already cleared the game without slowdown, but I am nowhere near that good. :|

Not even going to touch EX, lol. Tried it once, and nope'd the hell out of there.
KAI

Post by KAI »

el_rika wrote:43 mhz / 57% (Shot/Laser)
39.3 mhz / 56% (Ex)
Do i need to get that mhz percentage using the 133 Mhz Clock from the Hitachi SH-3 CPU as a base or something like that?
god, i fucking hate maths.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

You're welcome Emperorlng

KAI, just access the mame menu with TAB and underclock to that value. You can check the exact CPU mhz value you currently play at, in the same TAB menu at Machine Information (or Game Information). The percentage is the Blitter Delay value, that you set in Machine Configuration (needs restart).
KAI

Post by KAI »

Wow, didn't know the system information changed in real time. Thanks!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

el_rika wrote:This shows how different people mold with different types of difficulties. I personally can go up to level 4 boss without even touching the shield button.
Yeah, Sdoj murders me starting with lvl2 boss (and that's on Shot, Ex is out of this discussion).
This just says that you've spent a lot of time with Galuda 2 and not nearly as much time with SDOJ.

In a lot of CAVE games, you're given a lot of resources that allow you to just ignore large portions of the game. This is why Futari BL has the really harsh bomb penalty. In Galuda, and to a lesser extent Rade, you also get a lot of resources and they do a pretty good job of allowing you to ignore stuff, plus the games themselves are a little easier than usual aside from the last bosses. In Galuda 2, these resources are not nearly enough, the raw difficulty has been increased substantially, basic scoring is silly hard to figure out and execute without just X.C.O.P.Y.-ing a video, and this is the game with things like Shin Seseri. Oh, and the hidden 1up has got to be the most obnoxious one to get of any CAVE game. It's easier than Galuda Arrange I guess, but that game is actually insane.

Galuda 2 really is one of the hardest things CAVE has put out. This is a game where the stage 4 boss feels like the final boss, except you've still got a ton of game after that, and it doesn't get easier. SDOJ Shot/Laser just isn't on that level in any area.
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Galuda2 is harder than SDOj in my opinion… unless you survival clear with Asagi, cause that is real easy
KAI

Post by KAI »

I reached the last phase of the last boss on esp2 without slowdowns using ageha, but i can't even beat the 4th boss on this meme game. SDOJ is 10 times harder imo.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

EmperorIng wrote:I haven't found a good ship that feels strong yet. I liked type B in DFK, dunno if it's worth much here.
Type B's one of the best in general in the series for raw survival and killing stuff. You have massive, easy to sweep spread, intense damage using shot (in DP/DDP), and good speed. Bomb Style in DFK is a bit weaker than in other games due to the limited spread and very slow turning speed compared to previous games, but Strong Style gives you insanely wide coverage and overcomes the slow turn speed issue. The gunpod layout is ideal in DFK for cancelling too it seems.

B's also amazing in SDOJ. Shot has nearly the spread of type C, but can sweep the screen of popcorn with its insanely fast turn speed, and has better speed than C. Its sweeping capabilities combined with speed make it a great all around type. The only thing it lacks is the raw damage when using shot compared to Donpachi or Dodonpachi (where you don't even need to use the laser to kill larger enemies in a fairly timely fashion, and get a damage bonus from pointblanking due to how the shots fire, handy when dealing with a big enemy as smaller targets are flying in), so like in DFK you'll need to use the laser in SDOJ to deal with especially big targets.

Love that little green heli. <3 It's generally underrated I think primarily because the sweeping takes a bit more practice to utilize effectively, and it's harder to chain with because of how the pods move as you move.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I am to understand that any ship with Shot is pretty good. Particularly, A gets ridiculously wide coverage along the lines of DOJ A-Shot, plus the usual A benefits of being strong and fast.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

There's an un-hack patch floating around now. But it flat out removes the operator graphics (The one that was replaced by Garfield) rather than restore them. No clue if it actually restores Hibachi.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Honestly, Type A-Shot in SDOJ is where it's at. SPEED...POWER!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I gotten past the stage 4 midboss a few times. I tend to make dumb mistakes, either dying on the stage 2 boss or twice during stage 3. I am settling on A-Shot for now as well. Maybe C-Shot is comparable in terms of utility. I haven't even attempted to no-bomb the midboss for the extra 1-up. I'm usually there on my last life anyhow.

Game is kind of frustrating, guys. Annoyingly so.

It seems more likely that I get hit and lose my autobombs more often than not. Visual clutter makes it hard to read the bottom of the screen (this could be this particular mame's fault for not doing proper fullscreen and hiding my start menu as well).
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

I hear the original rom is out in the wild and playable with a forked Mame release.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Is it true that Akai Katana is not supported in the latest official release (or won't be in the next one)?
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Yes sdoj and akai katana are removed after a c&d legal threat from Exa Arcadia, so you need a not-current or forked build to play them. You can find plenty of drama surrounding it all over the internet.
Last edited by spmbx on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thanks. Does Mame 0239 still support them officially?

If it's Exarcadia's doing, it's a multilayered irony, isnt it? Do they really think that vanilla Katana (or even worse - Mame's vanilla Katana) can damage the sales of their supposedly upgraded version? Are their improvements so minor that they consider it the same game? P47 Aces next lol?
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

They were removed after the release of 0.239 so yes 0.239 is the last official build with support included for now.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I just replaced the edited rom with the real deal in the package that was linked on that forum and everything worked fine.

It's a little bit of a shame that we didn't get the anticipation of 'waiting' since that would have been kind of fun but I wonder if it was leaked prior to, or as a response to the Exa C&D (the whole situation is kind of lol).

Unfortunately as I try to play it i find it more frustrating than fun. The larger hitbox for laser and shot type seems really ass and I lose my autobombs frequently.
pja

Post by pja »

EmperorIng wrote:I just replaced the edited rom with the real deal in the package that was linked on that forum and everything worked fine.

It's a little bit of a shame that we didn't get the anticipation of 'waiting' since that would have been kind of fun but I wonder if it was leaked prior to, or as a response to the Exa C&D (the whole situation is kind of lol).

Unfortunately as I try to play it i find it more frustrating than fun. The larger hitbox for laser and shot type seems really ass and I lose my autobombs frequently.
I saw speculation that it was done so people don't try to pass off that meme hack with restored non-meme graphics as the real deal on some other Cave PCB, not sure how well founded that is though.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... &context=3 would be about as authoritative as it gets.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Wow. This bit is really interesting:
The games in question are actually a good example of why documenting is important. As soon as a hacked dump of one of the games turned up, people removed the obvious defacement and started converting other PCBs to that, trying to pass them off as authentic.
I wonder how many PCB owners there are out there who have duff boards and aren't even aware of it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

For CV1000 boards? It would have to have been both converted and sold within the last month, that's a very short time, so I'm guessing zero.

The only CV1000 conversion boots really worth making and selling would be SDOJ, Ibara Kuro and that Akai Katana home variant, right? I mean, considering how valuable all existing CV1000 PCBs already are!
(and the Akai Katana release IIRC also comes with a bunch of extra physiucal fluff which is what I assume the collectors are more interested in?)

I'm guessing it's only a question of time before people standardize a procedure for CV1000 conversions, but if it's been done at all at this point, I haven't heard of it. Judging by that Pink Sweets hack that turned up recently, modifying graphics and sound data is going to pose a much bigger obstacle than the program data (which can be flashed directly on the PCB).

Here's some info on CV1000 reprogramming from someone way more qualified than me: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68372
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Return of the Waifus. Not even hacks and bootleg conversions can stop them.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Udderdude wrote:Return of the Waifus. Not even hacks and bootleg conversions can stop them.

Just when i was getting attached to Kitty and Dino :oops:

Oh wel...i guess the anime chicks and yellow stars will have to do.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Sumez wrote:For CV1000 boards? It would have to have been both converted and sold within the last month, that's a very short time, so I'm guessing zero.

The only CV1000 conversion boots really worth making and selling would be SDOJ, Ibara Kuro and that Akai Katana home variant, right? I mean, considering how valuable all existing CV1000 PCBs already are!
(and the Akai Katana release IIRC also comes with a bunch of extra physiucal fluff which is what I assume the collectors are more interested in?)

I'm guessing it's only a question of time before people standardize a procedure for CV1000 conversions, but if it's been done at all at this point, I haven't heard of it. Judging by that Pink Sweets hack that turned up recently, modifying graphics and sound data is going to pose a much bigger obstacle than the program data (which can be flashed directly on the PCB).

Here's some info on CV1000 reprogramming from someone way more qualified than me: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68372
Any conversion not needing to change sound can be done over jtag.

Otherwise you need to solder new sound roms. Doing this in a way thats not visible is possible, but requires skill (I’ve seen it done, but could probably not do it myself).

I would be extremely surprised if theres not non-legit Ibara Kuro conversion floating around. That was one of the reasons I sold my legit kuro.

Stuff like futari 1.5 -> 1.0 or BL is possible without soldering. So is DFK 1.5 -> 1.0
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Seen it done on a CV1000? Or just pro level SMD soldering in general?
Of course those basic up/downgrades can be done, which is why I singled out what to my knowledge are the three most valuable CV1000 PCBs.
If genuine bootleg CV1000 PCBs exist now I imagine it should be possible to detect the different, but it's probably not very obvious.

Actually, are there differences in the sound roms for Kuro compared to OG Ibara?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

According to MAME, the CRC32s are different between every ROM at least.

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... name=ibara
http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... e=ibarablk
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Sumez wrote:Seen it done on a CV1000? Or just pro level SMD soldering in general?
Of course those basic up/downgrades can be done, which is why I singled out what to my knowledge are the three most valuable CV1000 PCBs.
If genuine bootleg CV1000 PCBs exist now I imagine it should be possible to detect the different, but it's probably not very obvious.

Actually, are there differences in the sound roms for Kuro compared to OG Ibara?
> Seen it done on a CV1000

Yes.
These are sound roms that's been resoldering for a conversion. I can not see a difference from factory mounted ICs.
https://i.imgur.com/AaHyAri.jpg

> If genuine bootleg CV1000 PCBs exist now I imagine it should be possible to detect the different, but it's probably not very obvious.

I don't think bootlegs are an issue. Conversions exist though.

> Actually, are there differences in the sound roms for Kuro compared to OG Ibara

Yes. Some minor new audio. Character Selection music is one of them. It's probably quite easy to convert Ibara to Kuro if you are fine with wrong music for some parts (so easy to detect). Might be some missing SFX too, not sure.

One easy way to verify this is to just take the U2 and U4 roms from Kuro and put then in ibara.zip for mame. It will play fine (with wrong music). One fun thing is that you will get Mushihimesama music for char select, since that's what Ibara had in that sound bank lol
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Buffi wrote: I don't think bootlegs are an issue. Conversions exist though.
Semantics thing here, I think. Non-sanctioned conversions are absolutely bootlegs. :P
One fun thing is that you will get Mushihimesama music for char select, since that's what Ibara had in that sound bank lol
That's pretty hilarious. :D