Shmups skills test (the naomi game)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dark

Shmups skills test (the naomi game)

Post by dark »

Is there anything else similar to Shmups Skills Test, the sega naomi arcade game? I'm really enjoying the concept of short shmup based mini games, it's kind of like mario party for shmups.

Is there anything else like this?
Sengoku Strider

Re: Shmups skills test (the naomi game)

Post by Sengoku Strider »

The challenge modes in M2's ShotTriggers would probably scratch the same itch.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's not quite the same thing, but Illvelo has a bunch of bite-sized "missions" to do throughout the game that might appeal to you.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

If mobile is ok then Bullet Hell Monday has bite sized missions.
You might also give rRootage (and another Kenta Cho title Nois2za) a try as well. It's on PC (since 2003) and got recent re-release on Switch and iOS
dark

Post by dark »

Thanks for the suggestions.

What about those Karous and Radirgy games on the 3DS? Am I correct in assuming those were short discrete missions rather than a full blown shmup game like the original Milestone games on dreamcast/gamecube/arcade?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Radirgy 3DS isn't really a traditional shmup at all - it's a shmup tower defense game, where you have infinite health but enemies or bullets reaching the bottom of the screen damages the structure you're defending. I wouldn't say the idea is totally fleshed out, but it's pretty interesting. Karous 3DS does look like it's a challenge game, but I haven't played much of it.