Anyone played Espgaluda on PCSX2?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

Anyone played Espgaluda on PCSX2?

Post by bcass »

I'm currently playing Espgaluda on PCSX2 and there's something about it that I can't quite put my finger on, but it doesn't quite feel right. Occasionally it feels like there's some weird framerate issue and it doesn't feel very smooth. This is not when bullets slow down the game, this is something different. Anyone else noticed this? Is there something in the emulator that I should be tweaking specifically for this game? Frame Skipping is disabled. I'm running on a reasonably decent PC (1080Ti, i7 8700K CPU, 16GB RAM) so I don't think that is the issue.
To Far Away Times

Re: Anyone played Espgaluda on PCSX2?

Post by To Far Away Times »

I played the PS2 version of Mushi on real hardware and that was a great game done dirty by an awful, awful port, and that kinda soured me on trying any other CAVE games on the PS2.

I'm kinda skeptical of CAVE's PS2 ports. I'd look for other ways to play these games if you can.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

^ Shame on you cause you then missed the best two Cave ports ever (Galuda and DOJ). And Ibara with deinterlace patch is not bad at all thanks to the arrange mode.

Galuda on PCSX2 is likely the worst option to play the game though.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Second that the ports done by Arika for DOJ and Galuda are perhaps the best shmups on the system. 240p, super snappy, tons of options. Just the best.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

The ESPGALUDA port is extremely close to the PCB. I own the PCB but prefer playing the port due to the quick restart and the stereo soundtrack. Also, the bonkers arrange mode!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

PCSX2 has awful frame pacing, disable the framelimiter and use RTSS to cap it.
bcass

Post by bcass »

tomwhite2004 wrote:PCSX2 has awful frame pacing, disable the framelimiter and use RTSS to cap it.
Just tried this but unfortunately it still doesn't feel right. I'll try running it on my original launch model PS3 (NTSC CECHA 60GB). It's on a very low firmware so can be softmoded.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I assume underclocking via GroovyMAME isn't an option for this game?
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Generic suggestion: can it be a frame rate mismatch, maybe PAL vs. NTSC or either vs. funny monitor rates? Did you try different vsync and buffering options?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Underclocking will never solve a display issue. Just try Groovymame with default settings, the game's v. sync is close enough to 60Hz so even if your monitor isn't very flexible, you'll play it just fine. And even with frame delay on it shouldn't be too demanding, it's not a CV1000 game.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

I never noticed significant differences between mame and pcb, apart from the missing pixel errors that occur on pcb when there's a lot of cancels on screen.
I think emulation is excellent and it can even be played at original refresh on VRR monitors.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Underclocking will never solve a display issue.
I meant with regards to slowdown.
el_rika wrote:I never noticed significant differences between mame and pcb, apart from the missing pixel errors that occur on pcb when there's a lot of cancels on screen.
I think emulation is excellent and it can even be played at original refresh on VRR monitors.
What about slowdown? PCB vs MAME?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The PGM-based (or the 68000) games don't have the slowdown issues the infamous CV1000 ones got with Mame. Never read anybody complaining about those here, and el_rika meticulously checks Youtube videos, so we can safely assume Galuda/DOJ/Ketsui run pretty much like the PCBs in this regard till somebody says otherwise.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Ixmucane2 wrote:Generic suggestion: can it be a frame rate mismatch, maybe PAL vs. NTSC or either vs. funny monitor rates? Did you try different vsync and buffering options?
No, my PC is outputting 60Hz to a TV with 60Hz refresh rate.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:The PGM-based (or the 68000) games don't have the slowdown issues the infamous CV1000 ones got with Mame. Never read anybody complaining about those here, and el_rika meticulously checks Youtube videos, so we can safely assume Galuda/DOJ/Ketsui run pretty much like the PCBs in this regard till somebody says otherwise.
Yes, correct. And if we want to be as precise as possible, when using normal 60 hz dispays (note: the original hardware runs the games at 59.19 hz), an underclock of ~ 2% for all pgm based Cave shmups will result in a comparable speed when inside a slowdown moment. Espgaluda is basically the only one that benefits from this, as the rest have way less slowdown.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Both PS2 port and MAME are missing the garbled graphics you get when you score really well.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.