Help with name of shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ragnar

Help with name of shmup

Post by ragnar »

I remember playing this in the arcades in the late 80's or early 90's. You're flying this plane high above the water, above the clouds. The view of the plane was top view. It was like you were flying into the screen (almost kamikaze dive like) towards the ground (water) shooting planes down. As you get closer to the water a battleship would come into view and it would fire missles at you. You had to destroy the ship before you got too close or the mission was not complete. You could still fly all around the screen freely, you were just flying downward to the ground. I think that was the first mission.

I played this in the arcades, but don't know if it was ever ported to any console.

Hopefully someone can help me.
DarkWolf7

Post by DarkWolf7 »

Konami's Typhoon/A-Jax. Specifically Typhoon from your description. There are home versions for at least the C64 and the X68000.
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

Does the battleship constantly get bigger and into view more clearly as you are flying down towards the surface below? You are always above the ship, even if you don't see it (for the clouds and altitude). You had to wait until you got closer to the battleship (you could hear the bullets hit the metal of the ship) and then an explosion.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

Sounds like the second stage of AJAX....
dboeren

Ajax / Typhoon

Post by dboeren »

Ajax and Typhoon are pretty much the same game except for the order of the stages. Both are a mix of diving airplane stages and regular vertical helicopter assault stages. Typhoon starts with a diving stage, Ajax starts with a helicopter stage.

Good game, either way.
mofox

Post by mofox »

I used to play a shump on the SNES when I was a kid. I desperately want to know its name.

It was a two player game that was played co-op at the same time. Before each level the players had to select their special weapon from a choice of approx. 16, these ranged from sticky bombs to mega beams to autoaim machine guns. Once you selected a weapon you couldn't choose it on another level. The special weapons charged up over time during the level and use of them reduces the power bar. Certain weapons like the mega beam would deplete the entire power bar in one use whereas others would deplete it slowly and if you stopped firing your special weapon it would begin to charge back up again. During the game the two ships could join together and player 1 would fly the ship and player two could control a different weapon (a rotatable 360 machine gun I think) you could release from each other with a button press. It was a typical vertical scrolling top down view 2d shump. Big boss at the end of each level and the 2 ships were red and blue.

It was a long time ago I played this game about 1991-1995 so my recollection may be slightly wrong.

Any help?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Strike Gunner by NTVIC. It was an early shmup and didn't look very 16-bit, but it was fun nonetheless. Kind of a poor man's Raiden. The story wasn't bad either. Ban on nuclear weapons, rebel nation allies itself with an alien intelligence that later turns against mankind, rebel nation realizes the error of its ways and helps the resistance develop two fighters capable of facing the overpowering alien enemies just in time to prevent the annihilation of the human race.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.