Eschatos [+JSS & Cardinal Sins] on Switch and PS4 (Nov 18th)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Eschatos [+JSS & Cardinal Sins] on Switch and PS4 (Nov 1

Post by Jonpachi »

consoleretro wrote:Teaser from Strictly Limited Games on twitter:

This weekend...

Three games, one collection. Sin, judgement and the end of times.

So not First Press after Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles and shipping in 2025....
Goddamn yes. This needs a new physical so badly.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Funny because I threw on Eschatos last night for a quick game and was thinking I am surprised it never got a physical. But between me really slowing down on physical and simply not wanting to give SLG my money, I think I will pass.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Funny because I threw on Eschatos last night for a quick game and was thinking I am surprised it never got a physical. But between me really slowing down on physical and simply not wanting to give SLG my money, I think I will pass.
The bolded is where I'm at.

Weird coincidence, as I posted something about I guess this was never happening in the Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles thread after I got the First Press Games discs finally.

I find that wording on the quoted post ambiguous, but if it is saying that SLG is somehow preferable to First Press getting this one, I 100% disagree. Either one is going to take a long time to release, and in the case of First Press, it's pretty clear now that I could just wait until the game is in stock and order it then, instead of paying for something up front months or years in advance. I also like First Press' art and packaging more, though I could do without the ugly slipcases, which I threw in the trash for the other two.

I buy physical over digital whenever possible but this is going to be an exception, just as with anything that only gets a physical release via Limited Run Games who I will never support.

If this is one of the ones that also gets a regular release via the ININ imprint, I might consider that version, though I expect this won't. Knowing how this company operates, if they do that, that version will likely be only Eschatos and missing the other two games. :roll:
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx

Post by cfx »

SLG page:
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/co ... s/eschatos

One possible reason this ended up with a different company is it is licensed directly from Qute, rather than Rising Star Games as the other two were.

At least the regular edition is 5 Euros cheaper then the other Qute games since SLG lets you buy a plain game without other junk included.

If I eat my words and order this, can anyone tell me how SLG packages the regular editions? If they ship in a sturdy box like First Press Games does, I'll consider it. If they ship in a bubble envelope where it's likely to be damaged when I get it, I'll pass.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If I eat my words and order this, can anyone tell me how SLG packages the regular editions? If they ship in a sturdy box
they do.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

cfx wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Funny because I threw on Eschatos last night for a quick game and was thinking I am surprised it never got a physical. But between me really slowing down on physical and simply not wanting to give SLG my money, I think I will pass.
The bolded is where I'm at.

Weird coincidence, as I posted something about I guess this was never happening in the Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles thread after I got the First Press Games discs finally.

I find that wording on the quoted post ambiguous, but if it is saying that SLG is somehow preferable to First Press getting this one, I 100% disagree. Either one is going to take a long time to release, and in the case of First Press, it's pretty clear now that I could just wait until the game is in stock and order it then, instead of paying for something up front months or years in advance. I also like First Press' art and packaging more, though I could do without the ugly slipcases, which I threw in the trash for the other two.

I buy physical over digital whenever possible but this is going to be an exception, just as with anything that only gets a physical release via Limited Run Games who I will never support.

If this is one of the ones that also gets a regular release via the ININ imprint, I might consider that version, though I expect this won't. Knowing how this company operates, if they do that, that version will likely be only Eschatos and missing the other two games. :roll:
I was speaking more in terms of the limited print industry in general. Can't say I am a fan of any of the companies in this market.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Fudoh: Thanks.
Creamy Goodness wrote:I was speaking more in terms of the limited print industry in general. Can't say I am a fan of any of the companies in this market.
Ok, but that isn't how your post read at all. Who but a limited print company was going to release this?

I only dislike the ones that try to stop people from importing other versions of the games by trying to block imports or forcing removal of English language options from said imports. You get a license for a game in your region, you shouldn't be able to meddle in what other regions are doing or what retailers or import businesses are doing.

While unprovable, it's likely the reason the Japanese Cotton Reboot had a day one patch to remove English is because of SLG. Limited Run Games has been vocal about disliking imports and upset they can't control the market so that they have the only wordwide physical version of a given game, and for games published by their Japanese counterpart Superdeluxe Games, they block them from being sent to the US. If you are in the US and look here, you cannot order this game:
https://www.play-asia.com/sol-cresta-dr ... /13/70fku5

Any boycott of SLG should apply to ININ Games as well, since they are both part of United Games Entertainment GmbH.
Last edited by cfx on Fri May 19, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

I don't like how pretty much any of the limited print run companies work, but at the end of the day, I really just care that I'm getting the game on a disc. The end product is good - it's just everything around actually getting the thing that sucks.

But anyway, I've never actually played Eschatos, but I've always wanted to... largely because the OST is damn good. Buying it on the PS4 and looking forward to receiving it sometime in 2034.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Eschatos is awesome. Play it. Judgement Silversword is also really good, although it would be better if it had more music. I've barely played Cardinal Sins, but it's also pretty cool.

I will pass on this; I already have this game on PC and I'm done with these limited production companies. I'm still waiting for Worst Press Games to ship my Ginga Force + Natsuki Chronicles. Hopefully they'll send that before the end of next year.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I caved and ordered; I thought $40.48 including shipping to the US wasn't bad. With the claim of expected to ship by the end of the year, I'll just assume if I get it by the end of 2024 I'm doing good.

Oddly, the remaining stock is currently at 66%; it was lower than that when I ordered last night, though I forget the exact number.

Their marketing hype cracks me up:
Strictly Limited Games wrote:Shoot ‘em ups by Qute, and specifically the ones by designer M-KAI, have long been lauded as some of the best of the whole genre, combining outstanding gameplay, entrancing music and mind-bending visuals into an experience like no other.
Qute has published the following shooters:

1. Judgement Silversword
2. Cardinal Sins
3. Eschatos
4. Ginga Force
5. Natsuki Chronicles

All of which, of course, are by M-KAI. So yeah, I guess those non-existent Qute shooters that were not produced by him have not been lauded, since they would be hard to judge in their non-existence. :D