rRootage Reloaded on the NSW...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

rRootage Reloaded on the NSW...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Noticed that Kenta Cho's stg title that goes by the name of "rRootage Reloaded" is listed on the USA region Switch eShop as of 10-20-2021 for a mere $5.00 usd. It's a 24.7mb d/l at best. It has been tweaked with an arcade-spec 60fps framrate this time around. Am glad to see the classic rRootage stg on a new gaming platform besides it having been previously released on PC, PSP & DC (homebrew). You can use the analog stick or d-pad on the Joy-con if so desired.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
WeedyRainfall

Re: rRootage Reloaded on the NSW...

Post by WeedyRainfall »

And it's really really good. I've never played it before, and i love it, it's just this pure encapsulation of "the joy of dodging bullets". It's so relaxing and such a nice break from stage 3 resets in futari maniac.

The dev says that if it sells enough, Noiz2sa is next. Buy it y'all, it's 5 bucks, it runs really really well, the soundtrack is great, it's a great port, buy it do it now buy it
gingerbeardman

Post by gingerbeardman »

Great news that it's good!

I was reading the story of the porting process earlier: http://victor.madtriangles.com/code%20e ... -port.html

Will buy to fuel more ABA games on Switch!
Special World

Post by Special World »

Personally find it crazy that Gleylancer topic has like 5 pages while a 160 STAGE BULLET HELL has 3 posts. This game is meaty, and one of the best “shmup skill training” games I can think of. It starts off really tame, and I wasn’t sure about the style at first. But I honestly love the stained-glass looking geometry bullets, and how you can SEE THE BULLET HITBOX. I also love that some patterns just seem to be there to look nice and be soothing, and how many of the patterns are sort of tricky and alive in that Ketsui way. Neat game. Deserves a LOT more love. I know a lot of people have probably dabbled in it before (myself included) but now that I’m sitting down with it for real—it’s good.

Normal mode, Psyvariar mode, and Giga Wing mode are all tight. Ikaruga mode leaves me a little cold. Feels like mopping up bullets. Such a huge amount of content. Love it. I’m at 8A normal right now.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

Thanks for the heads up, looks neat.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This will be my jam for a LONG time. Looks absolutely amazing on the OLED screen too!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I found the discussions the port dev had with Cho; looks like the changes got contributd back upstream: https://github.com/abagames/rrootage/issues/7

I *am* curious about the performance optimizations. It sounds like it had the side effect of pretty much eliminating slowdown. That was always hardware-specific so you probably couldn't have relied on it, but I wonder if that makes the game harder now?
gingerbeardman

Post by gingerbeardman »

In the porting postmortem above, or says the lack of slowdown made it more difficult so the slowdown was reintroduced in a programmatic way.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

This was a pleasant surprise when I was browsing the eShop. Very nice port.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

It desperately needs options for rebinding controls. It's a great, if pretty bare-bones, port to Switch.
SPM

Post by SPM »

^you can remap controls on the Switch itself under settings. It applies to all games though so not convenient at all, but be aware that the option is there!
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Can someone explain the way the level mapping works? Are the A, B, C and R variants supposed to represent ascending difficulty for each tier? I went through all the A tier levels on normal mode. To "beat" the game, I need to now do the same for B, C and R?
Special World

Post by Special World »

You’re meant to do 1A 1B 1C 1R then 2A 2B 2C 2R, etc.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Special World wrote:You’re meant to do 1A 1B 1C 1R then 2A 2B 2C 2R, etc.
I'm down to just 0B and 0R left to clear. 0B is really kicking my butt. It opens with some really fast and tricky patterns that I have to luck my way through to not use up too many bombs. I've hit 0B-4 but can't quite crack it yet, while 0C I was able to do on just a few attempts.