Zeroigar! An obscure AF but awesome shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Zeroigar! An obscure AF but awesome shmup

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/6JIM76XyXIo

If you are going to have ONE shmup on the PC-FX at least it's a good one! I especially love the light RPG elements the game includes

anyone else ever check Zeroigar out?
uroko-sakanabito

Re: Zeroigar! An obscure AF but awesome shmup

Post by uroko-sakanabito »

Have it, played it but its FAR from "awesome".
Plays like some generic doujin STG.

PS Why did you not play the translated version?
Last edited by uroko-sakanabito on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

uroko-sakanabito wrote:Have it, played it but its FAR from "awesome".
Lol well I am fully into it. Fun soundtrack, solid graphics, interesting RPG mechanic for progression between deaths...really tries to be unique
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

uroko-sakanabito wrote:Have it, played it but its FAR from "awesome".

PS Why did you not play the translated version?
I dont have the translated version / burning it causes FMV skipping on my PC-FX
uroko-sakanabito

Is this footage from OG PCFX?
Looks like emulation to me. AV / S-Video PCFX still looks horrible most of the time, even on good CRTs.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

uroko-sakanabito wrote:Is this footage from OG PCFX?
Looks like emulation to me. AV / S-Video PCFX still looks horrible most of the time, even on good CRTs.
its from an OG PC-FX. It's S video run through a PVM and Framemeister and then cleaned up in DaVinci Resolve before export.

Also I would say the PC-FX has some of the better S video output I have seen. Looks great on my PVM

All my content on Tuesday's is always on original hardware :) no matter how obscure the platform
uroko-sakanabito

Hm ok,
well the translation should not cause any problems on og hardware.
Did finish the game on FXGA and PCFX.
Most people with your issues play on emulator.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

For some reason the patched iso causes some crashing in between levels. May just be a slightly iffy burn. Who knows...PC-FX hates cd-r
uroko-sakanabito

Check the caps maybe some have problems.
First thing you loose is CDR playability
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

uroko-sakanabito wrote:Check the caps maybe some have problems.
First thing you loose is CDR playability
Hardware checks out. It’s just probably the cd-r brand.

I had a PC-FX new in box that hated burns too. Just one of the weird quirks of the platform it seems
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I burned a Sony 700mb CD-R of the translated Zeroigar & it works flawlessly without skipping on a PC-FX console setup. The anime cutscenes, alone, are worth checking 'em out. Makes me wonder what other possible/proposed STG titles NEC & Hudson Soft were seriously considering releasing on the PC-FX gaming platform. If the proposed PC-FX 3D polygonal board upgrade add-on was released, sure would've been awesome to see/play the next Soldier Blade sequel iteration (but it wasn't meant to be).

Back in January of 1994, Turbo Technologies Incorporated announced to American store retailers that they weren't going be selling any more NEC gaming hardware (which meant the upcoming PC-FX console also) causing retailers to liquidate their remaing TurboGrafx-16/Turbo Duo hardware & software on clearance for the entire 1994 year & into early 1995 as well (that was the perfect time to score such gaming hardware 'n' games on the cheap -- those were the days of TG-16/Duo lore).

If NEC gave the "green light" to sell the PC-FX stateside, Digital Leisure probably would've released it's backcatalog of ported arcade LD titles on it for sure.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jd213

Post by jd213 »

The used PC-FX I got also had skipping with CD-Rs at first, but I was able to fix it just by adjusting one of the pots as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZymVnylftU

Only took 1/8th of a turn, then all the cutscenes in all the games I burned worked perfectly. Try that before replacing caps.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Don't worry, you pronounced it right.

It's a shame NEC bailed on the PC FX so quickly. Yeah, they made some bad bets - FMV focused, no polygons, waited too long to release it - but it clearly had unreached potential. Sometimes I get the vibe like there were execs at the company who didn't want to be in the console business at all. The TG-16 failed in no small part because the NEC refused to spend on advertising after it didn't take off out of the gate. They wouldn't even let the American arm bring big name titles like Rondo over, and didn't bother with Europe at all. And that's to say nothing of the SuperGrafx, which seems to have been abandoned before it even hit the shelves.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

This game gave me diarrhea.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?