Gleylancer | Playstation, Switch, Xbox | Out Now!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Creamy Goodness

Re: Gleylancer | New home ports?

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Pretty cool, but also incredibly random. Wonder what was the driver to pick this particular game to rerelease.
It has a good reputation and its value has shot through the roof in the last 18 months. There was a completed sale at $960.
Yeah I was going to say did they just go on E-Bay, search for shmups, then sort by most expensive to help make their decision.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Creamy Goodness wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Pretty cool, but also incredibly random. Wonder what was the driver to pick this particular game to rerelease.
It has a good reputation and its value has shot through the roof in the last 18 months. There was a completed sale at $960.
Yeah I was going to say did they just go on E-Bay, search for shmups, then sort by most expensive to help make their decision.
If that were the case we'd be getting Eliminate Down. Maybe even Hyper Duel.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Gleylancer Nintendo Switch Gameplay

Looking good! Lots of options as well
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

That really is an impressive set of options.

Let's hope this is a series and they do all the MD shmups.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Astro City II wrote:Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znKfo9gGaj8

PS4
PS5 - BC mode
Switch
Xbox One
Xbox Series S|X - BC mode
This is somewhat incorrect, as the Xbox website officially lists this game as specifically optimized for Series S/X, so it's not just BC.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

FRO wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:Hopefully they follow up with Eliminate Down next
That would be amazing! This Gleylancer digital release will be a day one buy for me. Yeah, I can play it via flash cart/MiSTer/etc. but to be able to do so legit will be cool. Would also be nice if RetroBit or someone else who has done licensed repros in the past would do a translated cartridge version that is licensed. That would also be an easy buy for me.
E-D is one of the very best horizontal Shmups on the MD - I would be very, very happy to see them reprint it.

The cover art has a very 1970s SciFi look to it.
More Bromances = safer people
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

SPM wrote:Gleylancer Nintendo Switch Gameplay

Looking good! Lots of options as well
Only thing that didn't look solid there was the CRT filter, but I'll live.

Well ok, second thing - was it just me or is the dialogue text for the intro cut off at the edge of the screen?

Alright, alright, third and final thing - I'd have hoped if they were going to translate the whole thing, they'd take the opportunity to properly romanize the name as Grey Lancer (the ship's supposed to have been designed by a Dr. Grey). But that might either already be taken, or they might feel it removes any brand recognition it has, or just ruins SEO.

Still shoulda fixed it tho. And while we're at it, let's Eternal Sunshine the name Lightening Force from the collective memory as well. And put Aleste back at the end of MUSHA.

I'm starting a political party.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sengoku Strider wrote: And while we're at it, let's Eternal Sunshine the name Lightening Force from the collective memory as well. And put Aleste back at the end of MUSHA.

Where do you stand on the Layer Section/Crisis debate? #makeshmupsshootersagain
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Only thing that didn't look solid there was the CRT filter, but I'll live.
If you watch it again there's about ten sub settings to change the CRT filter to how you want it.

Sengoku Strider wrote: Well ok, second thing - was it just me or is the dialogue text for the intro cut off at the edge of the screen?
Possibly the result of them selecting the full/max screen option at the start?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Sengoku Strider wrote: And while we're at it, let's Eternal Sunshine the name Lightening Force from the collective memory as well. And put Aleste back at the end of MUSHA.

When I was getting back into shmups, I was confused for the longest time about what this "Thunder Force 4" was everyone told me to buy. See, when I looked on the eshop, I could only find "Thunder Force AC" and something called "Lightening Force." :D It wasn't even spelled correctly.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sima Tuna wrote:

When I was getting back into shmups, I was confused for the longest time about what this "Thunder Force 4" was everyone told me to buy. See, when I looked on the eshop, I could only find "Thunder Force AC" and something called "Lightening Force." :D It wasn't even spelled correctly.
I've heard suggestions that Lightening Force IS spelled correctly. We assume that it was meant to be Lightning but did they mean Lightening, as in to Lighten something (especially with the Quest for the DARKstar bit)?
It's still hideous of course and should be blotted from history, thankfully I live in the UK and got the Thunder Force IV version when it released.

Greylancer looks great. Played it a bit via emulation a year back so I feel obligated to buy it now to make up for my bit of piracy. Ah haaar!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

On that note, I've always been curious the Japanese Megadrive cover for Kyukyoku Tiger, which states it as a "Megadrive Catridge" on the front. Seems like too good a pun to be an accident.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Jonpachi wrote:On that note, I've always been curious the Japanese Megadrive cover for Kyukyoku Tiger, which states it as a "Megadrive Catridge" on the front. Seems like too good a pun to be an accident.
:shock:
I never noticed this before. Brilliant! :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Gameplay Mode: [ Modern >

* Press a button to change your mover system at any time
* Use the right stick to aim your gunners freely

Those are certainly interesting changes.

I REALLY hope they have horizontal interpolation on the 4:3 DAR mode to make it actually look the way it's supposed to. There's probably no way in hell that they will, but it would be nice.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Buys Japanese version on Switch eshop. System language is set to Japanese. Game still defaults to English. Um, okay.

No interpolation in 4:3 DAR mode, of course.

Dear developers/publishers/whoever,

Horizontal and vertical interpolation exist. Use them.

Modern mode has some interesting changes: they changed some of the music in the intro in the time around when Lucia looks at the picture of herself with her father and you can't set your speed before the stage starts using the new speed up/speed down buttons, just the original speed cycle button. The vintage mode has some odd changes, as well: on Switch, the title screen says PUSH . BUTTON even though modern mode says PUSH START BUTTON, and for some reason the speed cycle button isn't mapped to anything, so you'll be unable to change your speed in vintage mode if you don't actually go into the emulator's settings and assign it to a button. It feels really weird to play it in modern mode and use the right stick to play it like a twin stick shooter after years of playing it the way the developers designed it, but I think it's an interesting change.

Oh, and modern mode defaults to hard, which is also pretty interesting, and the sprite flicker on the first boss is gone and the slowdown seems to be less than it is on real hardware, at least in modern mode. The emulator option to reset the CRT filter to its default values also seems to not work at all for some reason.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Isn't 320 mode already square pixels at DAR? Firebrand X recommends disabling interpolation at 3x, 4x, and 5x resolution on mega sg.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrianC wrote:Isn't 320 mode already square pixels at DAR? Firebrand X recommends disabling interpolation at 3x, 4x, and 5x resolution on mega sg.
320 DAR pixels should be taller than they are wide, not square.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Steven wrote:Dear developers/publishers/whoever,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new Castlvania GBA collection is finally using interpolation. At least I cannot spot any scrolling shimmer when using non pixel perfect modes on either the GBA games or the SNES one.

This would be a first as M2 is surprisingly very late to the party on this one.

Watching vids of Gleylancer I thought I saw HD fonts for the story sections. Is that something that can be toggled to an appropriate looking 16 bit font?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Rastan78 wrote:
Steven wrote:Dear developers/publishers/whoever,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new Castlvania GBA collection is finally using interpolation. At least I cannot spot any scrolling shimmer when using non pixel perfect modes on either the GBA games or the SNES one.

This would be a first as M2 is surprisingly very late to the party on this one.

Watching vids of Gleylancer I thought I saw HD fonts for the story sections. Is that something that can be toggled to an appropriate looking 16 bit font?
I don't have the newest Castlevania collection yet, so I can't say for that one, but the Dracula X collection on PS4 with Rondo and Symphony has interpolation and it looks pretty nice.

For the text, modern mode has HD text in the intro and cutscenes. In the vintage mode it uses the original font at its ridiculously fast speed, which they also seemed to fix in the modern mode. I'll have to ask some of my Japanese friends if the original text speed is too fast for them to read comfortably lol.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Only about 20 minutes into this port but I'm pleased! After the shit ports handed to us lately (Cotton/Guardian Force ahem...), happy to report that the Switch version of Gleylancer runs very nicely. Minimal lag, sounds great and it's less than $8.00. Nice surprise for one of the better horis on the Megadrive.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Gleylancer is up on the Xbox marketplace and it's got an introductory 20% off for the next two weeks.

£5.99 - £4.79
$6.99 - $5.59

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/gleyl ... verviewtab
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm just waiting for it to launch on the goddamn eshop already so I can buy it.

Edit: Got it! Played one credit. Seems super fun. Feels a lot like Thunder Force AC, right down to the ship speed being player-controlled, which I love. That's probably my favorite feature in a shmup and a great way to win me over immediately. There might be a little too much obstacle-dodging in Gley Lancer as compared to Thunder Force imo, but it's still excellent. Amazing pricing too, and the port comes with a ton of features for practicing. The rewind is really nice. I used it several times already to look at certain sections where I wasn't sure if I could avoid damage. Extends seem reasonable and the difficulty manageable. I am going to have to learn what the powerups look like though, because some of them seem borderline trash while others are very helpful.

I'm the first to shit on ratalaika games for producing mostly shovelware, but unless this port has some secret lag I can't detect, this is a home run.
Last edited by Sima Tuna on Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Picked this up at lunchtime on xbox, good to finally have a translated official release. Haven't played in ages since the death of my PC, nothing outstanding but still a nice little game. The boss that gradually boxes you in can die in a fire though.

Hilariously low effort achievements. Finish the game with the good ending, on any difficulty, and get an easy 1000 gamerscore.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Fired this up for a bit last night on Series X and really pleased with how responsive the controls are, it feels like there's almost no input lag whatsoever, even on a somewhat laggy 60" TV. This is how it should be. Granted, Genesis is extremely easy to emulate well now, but glad they at least checked and double checked that it works properly before releasing
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
velo

Post by velo »

Steven wrote:Gameplay Mode: [ Modern >

Sounds fun(/broken?). Do you have to use the stick or can you map the gun directions to buttons? Did they add leaderboards or anything?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Oh this is lovely. Very responsive, plenty of nice modern day touches, English translation and all for £4.99. I sincerely hope we get more of this kind of thing, I will certainly buy day one to support this kind of quality release.

In a way it is making M2's Twin Hawk/Tiger Heli release look a less appetising prospect. Yes, you get even more bells and whistles, but it is a Hell of a lot more money to spend on an even older pair of games. M2 releases are essential when they are the likes of Cave, Raizing or something as special such as GG Aleste 3, but this is the first time I might pass on one of their Shottrigers releases. To be fair, I am more of a Thunder Force guy so Gleylancer is right up my street, whereas the vertical military shooter like Twin Hawk, Raiden etc. I enjoy less.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Got it.

Now let's hope they do Gynoug/Wings of Wor (also by Masaya) next.
Steven

Post by Steven »

velo wrote:
Steven wrote:Gameplay Mode: [ Modern >

Sounds fun(/broken?). Do you have to use the stick or can you map the gun directions to buttons? Did they add leaderboards or anything?
You can still play it like normal and just use the buttons to shoot if you want, but you can't map the individual fire directions to specific buttons and the right stick seems to only let you fire in 8 directions. Pretty sure they didn't add leaderboards, but I believe that modern mode actually saves your high scores now, as the original cart does not.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Samildanach wrote:Oh this is lovely. Very responsive, plenty of nice modern day touches, English translation and all for £4.99. I sincerely hope we get more of this kind of thing, I will certainly buy day one to support this kind of quality release.

In a way it is making M2's Twin Hawk/Tiger Heli release look a less appetising prospect. Yes, you get even more bells and whistles, but it is a Hell of a lot more money to spend on an even older pair of games. M2 releases are essential when they are the likes of Cave, Raizing or something as special such as GG Aleste 3, but this is the first time I might pass on one of their Shottrigers releases. To be fair, I am more of a Thunder Force guy so Gleylancer is right up my street, whereas the vertical military shooter like Twin Hawk, Raiden etc. I enjoy less.
My problem with the M2 port of Tiger Heli is I think Tiger Heli sucks balls. :D I'm sure it was good for when it came out, but that shit has aged like milk.

Gley Lancer is fantastic. Everything about this release has been phenomenal. Great price point, excellent practice options, no excessive lag that I can see, and the game itself is both expensive to acquire legally and of high quality. I purchased this game on pretty much moment 1 and I'm happy to buy more of these. I wish we could get MUSHA this sort of port. I'm not about to pay $80 or whatever to rent it via switch online.
Darkseed_5150

Re: Gleylancer | Playstation, Switch, Xbox | Out Now!

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Got it for Switch. Runs perfect in handheld so far. Good enough CRT options. Optional modern twin stick type controls. English translation. Nice price. Great, surprise showing from Ratalaika (EDIT: and Shinyuden). I want more.