R-Type Leo...the "make believe" R-Type game

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

R-Type Leo...the "make believe" R-Type game

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/lN6tApNYrv8

I've always loved Leo but I have also always been amused by its development history. The first time I played it I did not know it actually started life as a totally different game before it was handed over to Irem to be turned into an R-Type game but once I found that out everything clicked...that's why Leo doesn't FEEL like an R-Type game in the traditional sense.

Also interesting it's the only game locked to arcades outside of one Win 10 release that crashes like clock work
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: R-Type Leo...the "make believe" R-Type game

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

One time I watched Slowbeef play Leo in its entirety without realizing he had a charge attack :lol:
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

That's why it's the best one.

Lol jk jk
FRO

Post by FRO »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:One time I watched Slowbeef play Leo in its entirety without realizing he had a charge attack :lol:
That's kind of hilarious, actually. I've long been partial to LEO for a few reasons:
  1. Not as punishing as other R-Type games
  2. Amazing 90's chiptune dance soundtrack
  3. Very colorful look
  4. Cool weapons
  5. Separates itself from the rest of the series with the new mechanics, but still manages to somehow still work as R-Type
Given how many Irem titles we've seen via Arcade Archives, I hope we'll eventually get LEO, so it will finally have a proper release.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

FRO wrote:
Spoiler
That's kind of hilarious, actually. I've long been partial to LEO for a few reasons:
  1. Not as punishing as other R-Type games
  2. Amazing 90's chiptune dance soundtrack
  3. Very colorful look
  4. Cool weapons
  5. Separates itself from the rest of the series with the new mechanics, but still manages to somehow still work as R-Type
Given how many Irem titles we've seen via Arcade Archives, I hope we'll eventually get LEO, so it will finally have a proper release.
The boss theme is fucking groovy. Even got a remix in final 2, though its meh.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com