SHINORUBI - new bullethell game

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LASTBOSS88

SHINORUBI - new bullethell game

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

Hello,

I am pleased to announce the upcoming release of our SHINORUBI shoot
release scheduled for early 2022, we are currently in the betatest phase

We are a small team, 1 programmer, 1 graphic designer, 1 musician and 1 illustrator

Game trailer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgT7RICEHr0

Gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlDikMJVU0

More information on our web page
https://www.lastboss88.com/

STEAM page
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1665900/SHINORUBI/

We have been working hard for several years to deliver the best game possible
And the most complete...

GAME MODES
SHINORUBI offers a Classic Mode, a Boss Rush Mode, Caravan stage and already 6 ARRANGE Modes

ARRANGE MODES
Same game levels as the classic mode but with different rules.
You may opt for the SHIELD, CANCEL, LASER, JOURNEY, PINK PIG or the SUPER RANK Mode!

DISPLAY
The display options offer you a resolution of up to 4K. The game is optimized to run between 60 and 120 fps.

Have a nice day! :)
Last edited by LASTBOSS88 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHINORUBI - bullethell game
third_strike

Re: SHINORUBI - new bullethell game

Post by third_strike »

beautiful
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

The character design won't make me embarrassed to play it or put me on an FBI watch list, so that's a big plus. A snake in a pilot suit is just absurd and cool.

I've not played a 16:9 vertizontal bullet hell, so I'm curious to see how it works out. Is the screen curvature part of the game or just a visual effect for the trailer?

Looks tight.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

looks pretty good, but that logo definitely says "SHINORUEI"
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

brb I have an urge to buy Froot Loops. :D
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@third_strike
thank you :wink:

@To Far Away Times
it's not just snakes ...
the curved screen effect is present in the game

@WeedyRainfall
it's a bit true

@Jeneki
Haha :mrgreen:
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Looks super clean, Good luck with the project!

If you decide to make a 4k/120hz Series X version in the future I'll support it.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Looks promising, also good to see someone is embracing modern resolutions without going realtime 3D.

Small side question: Is it possible that some team members were previously involved with a project called "Solar Guardianship"?
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The graphical style is very nice, and as others have said, it looks very promising. I'm not a fan of the 16:9 "vertizontal" aspect ratio for a vertically scrolling shmup, but I'll reserve judgment until I have a chance to play it. It definitely looks like a lot of work has gone into this, though!
AAA

Post by AAA »

4K resolution at 120fps offers up plenty of possibility for the genre, were it to be the standard of course.
This project looks really cool, I'm in. Best of luck with the rest of the development!
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Looks amazing! Good luck with the project! I hate to be the guy but my PC sucks (it's from 2013 with an onboard video chipset) suffice it to say, any chance of a switch release?????????? Or PS4/5???? The game really looks great.

If there's a way I can play it i'll definitely support it!
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@Astro City II @Redfox
we are already going to finish the steam version. Then we will work on the console versions (switch, ps 4/5 xbox x)

@schleichfahrt
yes, one of the members worked on solarguardianship (abandoned project)

@FRO #AAA
thank you
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Graphically, it looks really impressive, and I like that you tried to do something new with the character design (not sure what to think about the bad guys' SS-like uniforms, but I realize that, as a German, I have a let's call it unique perspective on this). 16:9 vertizontal not sure what to think about this, but we'll see how it plays when it gets released.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@ChurchOfSolipsism
thank you, we can't wait for you to judge for yourself the gameplay we have set up
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Looks very Cave, right down to the colour choices and slowdown. I like what i see.
Curious how the extra wide horizontal space will complement the gameplay dynamic.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Yeah - has an SDOJ look to it. But it's different enough to have its own style. I like it. And I'm keen to see how it works in widescreen.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Wow, that's gorgeous. Is now very high on my Wishlist. Good luck!
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Wow! Congrats, the game art is fantastic, nice music, and love the artwork on the characters.
And the bullets look clearly visible, so it's looking like it could be great! Good luck!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@el_rika @davyK @banjoted @MommysBestGames
Thank you
Using the whole screen was a starting point.
We have worked hard to make the game perfectly playable on wide format.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Beautiful game. I hope it's fun too.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Perhaps it's just not showing in the trailer, but what game mechanics are available to the player for dealing with enemies on the other side of the screen. Basically, if you're on the left and an enemy appears on the right, what can the player do about it?

Some better known examples: Radiant Silvergun has specific weapons for shooting sideways, Soukyugurentai has the lock-on for engaging enemies from the side, Giga Wing has reflect which encourages letting enemies build up next to you.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@emphatic
thank you

@Jeneki
you will see, the game is very classic and wild. there is no particular mechanism like RADIAN SILVERGUN. The ships have wide shots that allow you to hit enemies far enough away. Nevertheless, it is not impossible that new ships will be integrated with more complex mechanics for the final version of the game.
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

Hello,

While waiting for the release of the game in JANUARY 2022.
Here is a video of a complete level
Good viewing

Gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlDikMJVU0
jehu

Post by jehu »

So much to love about this footage - I'm really excited to play this one.

After seeing it in action, I'm a lot less worried about the widescreen orientation. The bullet patterns look very well-designed and serpentine enough to keep things interesting. Various design elements really do it for me, too - especially the ship design, the eminently visible hotbox, the great 'WARNING' screen, and the engaging music. Looks like there's some juice in the cancels, too - always great to see.

I'm not as sold on the explosions and some of the sound effects, especially purple star collection tinkle sound. And it would be amazing if you could make Fever mode more visually (and aurally) extravagant. It feels a little anemic compared to something like Crimzon Clover.

In any case, I can't wait. Jan. 2022 is right around the corner..!!
LASTBOSS88

Post by LASTBOSS88 »

@jehu
thank you for the constructive comments :D
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

This game is...very distinctly crisp looking. The color palette at least for that stage is very appealing. It has that sheen I love about "modern" Cave graphics.
And I always love me some funky ass bullet shapes. Mmm please, yes. Shower me in Lucky Charms and Spaghetti-O's.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

V interested...

Some immediate thoughts:

Options on that ui, it appears quite usable but I'd like to have it super transparent, and ideally a lot of it shrunk/minimised/still iconised off to corners. If you have options it's in the hands of the user...

If enemies are green I'd avoid using pull the green back a bit more on the stage accents/details (I know they're not often the same green, but pretty close) - not so much getting lost as visually annoying/tiring - bring it back when you want to raise a bit of drama or indicate something?

Pink/purple stars and blue pickups don't seem to be doing much for you vs other content - I'd keep these gold and or towards red/orange/bronze spectrum. Perhaps keep that blue for the player ship dot rather than bullet pink, or take it a different shade? Green 1up?

It's perhaps a stylistic thing but would love to see some more destruction states/occasional chunkier explosion rather than the explosion flare (did like the occasional on fire while damaged-but-destroyed touch though :) ). Maybe a touch of screen shake for moments. Some ongoing explosions are nice but it seems to sometimes just marking something as dead.

Pacing seems a little 'constant' marching up down the screen ... It's a little difficult vertizontal, but I'd maybe have something tilting in or coming up at a different speed or pausing before coming forward at speed or peeling off to the side in a bit more of a curved trajectory?

But these little whiney points aside - some lovely work here - congrats to you and the team.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

gray117 wrote:would love to see some more destruction states/occasional chunkier explosion rather than the explosion flare
This, please. The game looks cool but the constant color degradations caused by the explosions makes of it a bit uncomfortable to see, and the backgrounds lose their punch.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Happy to see new original games in the making! Good luck!

Also nice to see more vertizontals, but crammed vertical space is a concern.
One thing Soukyugurentai did very well was extending the vertical field by allowing the lock-on weapon to lock on to enemies out of screen, typically above it. So even though the game was a vertizontal, there was quite a lot of vertical space for shooting stuff--so it never felt tight on space.
Many bosses also had a vertical shape and movement distribution, so they would sometimes move above the screen to give you some space. The main exception was stage 2 boss which I think was purposely designed to make it feel tight on space.

With a bullet-hell 16:9 vertizontal, I'm curious to see how this will work out.

"fever mode" sounded a bit unoriginal, what does it do more specifically? Maybe some more descriptive or novel lable would fit.
(fever mode would fit though, if during this mode whenever you picked up a star you would hear the voice go YES! OH YEAH! FEE-VER! HEEY! CAN YOU FEEL IT?! OKAY!)
heli

Post by heli »

Yes the alpha-blending all adds up to white color.
Maybe you could try to use another alpha-blending setting on some things to add darker colors.