What's the situation with PS1/PS2 lag on CECHA/CECHB PS3s?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

What's the situation with PS1/PS2 lag on CECHA/CECHB PS3s?

Post by bcass »

I have a CECHA 60GB NTSC-U PS3 that's still on an old firmware that I am thinking of soft-modding with a custom firmware so I can play PS1/PS2 games from the HDD and retire my PS1/PS2. What's the situation with lag playing PS1/PS2 games on PS3 models like this that do full backwards compat via hardware (not software as per all later models)?
neorichieb1971

Re: What's the situation with PS1/PS2 lag on CECHA/CECHB PS3

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I only have 1 experience, playing Bishi Bashi from PSN. It was so laggy I never went back.

Strangely I never hear of lag via the PS3. My experience was 10 years ago so no idea about now.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I notice you're based in the UK. If you bought your PS3 in the UK then your PS3 won't have had full-hardware based backwards compatibility, it would have been running under at least partial emulation, which might explain the lag you experienced. The model I'm referring to are the two original phat models that were only released in the USA/JPN. It was only those two original models that had full hardware based PS1/PS2 BC.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

bcass wrote:I notice you're based in the UK. If you bought your PS3 in the UK then your PS3 won't have had full-hardware based backwards compatibility, it would have been running under at least partial emulation, which might explain the lag you experienced. The model I'm referring to are the two original phat models that were only released in the USA/JPN. It was only those two original models that had full hardware based PS1/PS2 BC.
That'd be the original NTSC U/C based PS3 console with a 60gb hdd that came with a MSRP of $599.99 usd back in November/December of 2006. They sure were notorious for heating up a small room (especially if used in a vertical upright format) + having to deal with the sudden "yellow light of death" issue that'd come up from time to time. Sony revealved in a past issue of Game Informer, there was a shortage of parts to make a 1st-gen PS3 console and not many were built for the U.S. PS3 console launch (hence the higher asking MSRP of $499.99 usd for the 20gb PS3 & $599.99 for the 60gb PS3). Sony originally wanted to sell the "launch" PS3 consoles at a lower MSRP pricepoint but couldn't do it. I do recall Sony offering PS3 Linux functionality as a downloadable app back in early 2007 (but it was not supported anymore/disabled if you updated the official fw later on).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jd213

Post by jd213 »

According to Fudoh, PS1 games have 1.5 frames of lag, and he doesn't mention anything about them having hardware compatibility, so I was always under the impression that PS1 games were always emulated, even on models with PS2 BC: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ (PS3 section is toward the bottom of the page). He says PS2 games on BC models have 2 frames of lag, which would personally be too much for anything other than casual shmup play for me. Not sure if custom firmware improves lag at all, but kinda doubt it.

I'm guessing a PC would probably perform better nowadays if you don't want to stick with original hardware.
bcass

Post by bcass »

jd213 wrote:He says PS2 games on BC models have 2 frames of lag
I wonder if that is for wireless or wired?

I also recall a digital foundry video confirming that PS3 games suffer higher latency when the console is set to output at higher resolutions, which is something that could potentially also affect games running under hardware based BC.

PS2 emulation is generally very good on decent modern PCs, although Gradius V has graphical glitches that have been present in PCSX2 for many years now, with no sign of ever being fixed, which is why I want to stick to original hardware. I'm also unaware of any input lag tests being done with PCSX2, but wouldn't be surprised if it was worse than playing PS2 games on a CECHA/CECHB PS3.
EpicDave

Re: What's the situation with PS1/PS2 lag on CECHA/CECHB PS3s?

Post by EpicDave »

bcass wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am I have a CECHA 60GB NTSC-U PS3 that's still on an old firmware that I am thinking of soft-modding with a custom firmware so I can play PS1/PS2 games from the HDD and retire my PS1/PS2. What's the situation with lag playing PS1/PS2 games on PS3 models like this that do full backwards compat via hardware (not software as per all later models)?
Little late. But ps2 games have input lag on all backwards compatible ps3's due to the ps3's framebuffer and upscaler. as for the technical reasons why you'd have to ask someone who knows more than I do. Either way that is the reason.