Multidirectional shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPM

Multidirectional shmups

Post by SPM »

Hey guys! I love multidirectional shmups* and wonder if you have some you'd recommend?

[*Edit: I am looking for auto-scrollers designed with directional aiming in mind, not just shmups that include an optional weapon/ship that can do that. Those are welcome as well though!]

I'm talking primarily about controlled-with-one-stick, auto-scrolling shmups like:

Rolling Gunner
Zero Gunner 2
Forgotten Worlds (one-stick... kind of)
Last Resort
Cybattler
Image Fight
Bike Banditz

But also twin-stick auto-scrollers (RG Overpower, NeverAwake) which I haven't found any that I love tbh (except for arena-based shmups like Enter the Gungeon, but those are different and don't auto-scroll).

Bidirectional shooters are also welcome (Deathsmiles, Section Z), no need for 360°.

Thanks!
Last edited by SPM on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BrianC

Re: Multidirectional shmups

Post by BrianC »

Battlemania Daiginjou definitely has that multidirectional thing going on. One of the few where you can actually choose the amount of aiming directions on the options screen. Some awesome bi-directional games are Elemental Master, Thunder Force III, and Thunder Force IV.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

One of the option control selections in Gradius V allows you to aim in any direction, though you can't move your ship while doing it.

I'm not a Genesis/Mega Drive aficionado, but do I recall correctly that Steel Empire allowed you to turn around and shoot to the left?
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

BulletMagnet wrote: I'm not a Genesis/Mega Drive aficionado, but do I recall correctly that Steel Empire allowed you to turn around and shoot to the left?
Yes, and also a ground based shot or grenade, that was necessary to utilize in some parts. It also always made taking out any small ground based units much easier.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Vanguard is an older SNK shmup that used buttons for 4 way fire.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Probably not what you had in mind, but Thunder Force II comes to mind immediately. For twin stick, try Xeno Crisis and Super Stardust HD or its PS4 port, Super Stardust Ultra. Vita and PSP Super Stardust games are not too bad either, for that matter, but the PSP one is super easy.
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

For a twin-stick shooter with scrolling, there is Strike Witches : Hakugin no Tsubasa on JP 360 (Region Locked). It's mediocre or decent at best, but quite enjoyable in my opinion. Big plus if you are a fan of the anime series.

As for the best twin-stick shooter experience I had so far, I can't think of anything but Nex Machina on PS4 by Housemarque and Eugene Jarvis. This game is a masterpiece, I go back to it quite often. The fast-paced gameplay, the weapons, the music, the level and game design, the bosses patterns ; I think I like everything from that game. No procedural level here (which I hate). Only arcade gameplay goodness with tons of things to memorize and secrets to learns.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Gauntlet Dark Legacy (PS2, Xbox, GameCube) in ROBOTRON mode (has to be manually enabled in options), Apocalypse (PSX, analogue has to be enabled via controller's button).
If you don't mind gameplaying with keyboard & mouse: Alien Swarm (original UT 2004 mod rather than remake by Valve), Zax: The Alien Hunter (PC). The latter's more of an action-adventure than shooter, but its controls fit the bill.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Nice, I've always been a fan of this shmup-style as well.

Omega Five (Xbox 360)
Burai Fighter (NES/Famicom), ports also on GB/GBC.
S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team/Final Mission (NES/Famicom)
Rezon (Arcade)
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
trap15

Post by trap15 »

GUARDIAN FORCE
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
davyK

Post by davyK »

BrianC wrote:Vanguard is an older SNK shmup that used buttons for 4 way fire.

Heh. Played a lot of the 2600 port of Vanguard. :)

Not an auto-scroller but the majesty that is Bangai-O has to be on anyone's list. Dreamcast or N64 version are the best.

And if you haven't tried Smash TV and Geometry Wars (1,2,3 - 2 and 3 really move the genre on. And Galaxies on Wii is a good shout) then maybe you do like Twin stick shooters. ;)
Steven

Post by Steven »

I can't believe I forgot about this game before and it doesn't auto-scroll, but definitely try the various versions of Choplifter, even the awesome SG-1000 version.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Other games with multidirectional firing include:

Pulstar: The I/O units will aim in the opposite direction of player movement when they are in the unlocked state.

WhipRush: The F weapon fires in the opposite direction of player movement plus there are several stages that scroll in multiple directions.

Soukyuugurentai: The green ship's secondary N.A.L.S. web can be aimed in the opposite direction of player movement and is unrestricted in its direction of fire.

GunSpike/Cannon Spike: Free moving, multidirectional arena shmup with lock-on aiming.

Sanvein: Another free moving multidirectional arena shmup where you are pitted against the clock.

There is also a 3DS/2DS remake of Steel Empire which retains the left and right directional firing.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Guardian Force + Cotton 2 / Boomerang is scheduled for the end of the month. :D
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Nice, I've added some of these to my list :D

Especially Battlemania Daiginjou, Elemental Master, Guardian Force, Rezon & Steel Empire

As for arena based, I need to play Nex Machina and Geometry Wars 3! So far the only Arena Twin-Stick I really love is Gungeon (and Rive if we count platformers).

And thanks for reminding me about Thunder Force IV and SCAT, I should've included them on the list (even though SCAT's stage 3 is nauseating, like TF III's volcanic stage. I can't deal with those fast moving backgrounds)

Any more? Bring them all! :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Raiga: Strato Fighter
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

I recently 1CC'd the Firemen if that counts. My thoughts are in the Other Gaming forum, but some people consider it a shmup. Certainly as much of a shmup as some other mentions ITT.

I'm also very, very fond of Sega's conversion of Mercs for the Mega Drive.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I'm not sure what it's called, but there's reworking (not straight port, although these are included too) of 8-bit Zanac on the Zanac X Zanac copmpilation for PSX that allows to fix aim of CERTAIN weapon at any of the usual 8 directions (if not full 360° range - I'm not sure anymore, either), using third button (not employed by the "old" 8-bit Zanacs there).
As a rule of thumb, Fun Weapons™ shmups with a big choice of "planes" tend to have such weapons, I seem to recall (such as Shikigami no Shiro series, Sonic Wings Special, Compile shmups other than Zanacs - MAYBE; I used to remember more detail of the sort).
The way out is cut off

m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Uh, Under Defeat?
heli

Post by heli »

Under Defeat can not shoot backwards, a bit odd for a heli game i must say.
Zero Gunner 2 is also one of my favourite games, it is more realistic in movement.
while i dont like the multi-directional stuff, even games that switch side i dont like it.
It is better then games that shoot you from the backside while you can not rotate to fire back, grrr ketsui.
All great heli games btw.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Actually, Sin & Punishment 2, yep! Then if you don't insist on auto-scrolling, this technically opens the floodgates to many titles on various home platforms, of which I feel Shadowgrounds (PC) deserves to be mentioned as a game that was to marry oldchool design with technically advanced engine in a way few seem to have, since then (although I've not really followed contemporary gaming for a little while). Warning Forever also combines oldschool gameplay with... unusual game engine, and it's freeware!
The way out is cut off

John4300

Post by John4300 »

A console shmup, but Swiv games (Super Swiv on SNES was called Firepower 2000 in some regions) you can choose between a Jeep and a Helicopter. Ironically, helicopter can only shoot forwards and flies so it's like playing a normal shmup, while jeep can drive around and shoot any direction. You can even jump and you won't automatically move with the screen. You won't even take hits from airborne enemies but bullets still kill you. I think jeep is the default choice for player 1, too.

Maybe not the best shmups around, but Super Swiv on SNES is... Decent maybe?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Two more for the list :D

- Gleylancer (multi)
- Dariusburst (bi)

The only Darius with this bidirectional feature is Dariusburst right? (II and G change automatically and only on bosses afaik)

I need to compile all these auto-scrollers designed around directional aiming into a list. (including a sub-list for those that kind of fit, but not 100%)

Obviously R-Type games fall into this category as well (adding this for the eventual list)
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Gleylancer for Genesis and Space Megaforce for SNES both have multi directional shots. Not everyone on this board likes console shooters, but Space Megaforce/Super Aleste is legit on harder difficulties.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Score Rush is a simple but satisfying vertically scrolling twin stick shmup on the PS4 that's also really fun in multiplayer. Every now and then I wistfully dream of a steam version.
davyK

Post by davyK »

John4300 wrote:A console shmup, but Swiv games (Super Swiv on SNES was called Firepower 2000 in some regions) you can choose between a Jeep and a Helicopter. Ironically, helicopter can only shoot forwards and flies so it's like playing a normal shmup, while jeep can drive around and shoot any direction. You can even jump and you won't automatically move with the screen. You won't even take hits from airborne enemies but bullets still kill you. I think jeep is the default choice for player 1, too.

Maybe not the best shmups around, but Super Swiv on SNES is... Decent maybe?

Under rated in my book. The 2 vehicles play really different. In the jeep you don't have to worry about colliding with the flying enemies so it's easier on the whole, especially with the multi-direction firing.

It looks great on the SNES as far as I'm concerned.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Would Assault fit into this category?
SPM

Post by SPM »

pieslice wrote:Would Assault fit into this category?
Not quite, since it doesn't autoscroll, but close enough to make it into the "sub-list". The game also encourages you to do a good time, so you kind of autoscroll yourself as much as you can hehe
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Imagine Total Carnage isn't really the thing you're getting at, but I do so love it's dumbness that I'm going to push it anyway :)
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

I remember Namco's "Bosconian" in arcades as one of the early overhead shooters with forced scrolling, it may have a few other sequels / spin-offs too