Centipede Recharged for Switch, PS4, PS5, XB1, XB Series, PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Wittischism

Centipede Recharged for Switch, PS4, PS5, XB1, XB Series, PC

Post by Wittischism »

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/centipe ... tch-and-pc

This looks interesting. Definite Geometry Wars vibes. Supposed to be out around the end of Sept. Definitely going to give it a try.
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Centipede Recharged for Switch, PS4, PS5, XB1, XB Series

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It looks like the Space Invaders Extreme/IG treatment (like they combined the two) but for Centipede.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Centipede. Like the weird, free-roaming, 3D, 'nu-centipede' on Dreamcast looks more like actual Centipede than this.

Also, they seem to make a big deal that it works with that Atari wireless joystick, which I just find sort of weird since Centipede's whole 'thing' was the trackball control.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

For whatever reason I found Missile Command Recharged really boring, and I loved the original. I never got into Centipede and this looks pretty derivative, but glad it's out there all the same. There are a few Atari properties it could be interesting to see revisited, and hopefully they learn something along the way with these.
davyK

Post by davyK »

i love vector games but I'm not feeling it with Centipede Recharged. The original was a raster game and its organic look and the trak ball control set it apart from the slide and shoot games that filled the arcade market at the time of its release. The spiders are reminiscent of Atari's Black Widow which is a colour vector game (and quite under rated) - maybe that's the intention.

Probably still a fun game though. The challenge mode adds longevity too.
Last edited by davyK on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Pff, not Millipede? :oops:
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Gravitar is crying out for an upgrade. Would be all over that. And no-one has ever improved on Asteroids Dx since 1980.... Blasteroids was OK but maybe it isn't a game that can be improved and devs should stop trying and just give it a bit of a makeover? Two player battle in an asteroid field would be fun though - the 7800 port had that.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The spiders are reminiscent of Atari's Black Widow which is a colour vector game (and quite under rated)

Off topic: I had a Black Widow cabinet up until a couple years ago. I got it at auction where I was they only bidder :|

(this was somewhat surprising seeing there were a couple of Barcade ghouls there, and normally, their strategy is 'overbid on anything that works, figure it out later'. But in this instance even they were like "Black what? Meh...")

(Even though I ended up really loving it, it was originally a bit of a booby prize, as the sole reason I even drove to that auction was for a Xevious cocktail which the aforementioned ghouls ended up winning. Which was lucky, because in the heat of the moment, I bid WAY more than I ever should have)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Looks fun enough to me. Though personally I was hoping for a conversion of that Centipede Chaos arcade game. Played it a few times recently and it was surprisingly fun (and sometimes intense).
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Just as a side note, I was very interested in picking up the Space Invaders Invincible Collection - I've been getting quite into the original via one of the collection disks on PS2 and thought it would be quite nice to play on my flat screen. Went into the eShop on the day of release thinking it'd be about £15 U.K. money - £54.99??!! for old Space Invaders games?! Nintendo just need a stripy jumper and a bag marked "Swag" :shock:
Sengoku Strider wrote:For whatever reason I found Missile Command Recharged really boring, and I loved the original. I never got into Centipede and this looks pretty derivative, but glad it's out there all the same. There are a few Atari properties it could be interesting to see revisited, and hopefully they learn something along the way with these.
Just tried Missile Command for the first time recently, what a great game! I'm absolutely terrible though, it'd be Armageddon for the human race with me at the controls.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
(Even though I ended up really loving it, it was originally a bit of a booby prize, as the sole reason I even drove to that auction was for a Xevious cocktail which the aforementioned ghouls ended up winning. Which was lucky, because in the heat of the moment, I bid WAY more than I ever should have)

How much did it go for?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

How much did it go for?

Don't quote me because this was like eight years ago, but I think 1800 - 2000 (I know I was on the hook for over a grand at one point)
davyK

Post by davyK »

Flashman wrote:Just as a side note, I was very interested in picking up the Space Invaders Invincible Collection - I've been getting quite into the original via one of the collection disks on PS2 and thought it would be quite nice to play on my flat screen. Went into the eShop on the day of release thinking it'd be about £15 U.K. money - £54.99??!! for old Space Invaders games?! Nintendo just need a stripy jumper and a bag marked "Swag" :shock:
Sengoku Strider wrote:For whatever reason I found Missile Command Recharged really boring, and I loved the original. I never got into Centipede and this looks pretty derivative, but glad it's out there all the same. There are a few Atari properties it could be interesting to see revisited, and hopefully they learn something along the way with these.
Just tried Missile Command for the first time recently, what a great game! I'm absolutely terrible though, it'd be Armageddon for the human race with me at the controls.
I'd like that collection too but for what you are getting it isn't worth it. I'd expect every released SI game on a cart for that. Invaders Pt2 is a brilliant sequel - it just looks like a small update but there are several differences that add variety without breaking the original concept:

* 2 types of saucer - the flashing one will add pointy heads to the top row (I think from wave 2 on), widening the alien formation. If you hit an alien while it is being dropped from the saucer it will drop to the bottom of screen and become part of a shelter.

* Rainbow bonus - finish a wave by shooting a skull (bottom 2 rows) and get a 500pt , 800pt or 1000pt bonus depending on which column & row the last invader is in.

* New alien layouts with new alien type. It splits into two when hit.
velo

Post by velo »

Flashman wrote:Just as a side note, I was very interested in picking up the Space Invaders Invincible Collection - I've been getting quite into the original via one of the collection disks on PS2 and thought it would be quite nice to play on my flat screen. Went into the eShop on the day of release thinking it'd be about £15 U.K. money - £54.99??!! for old Space Invaders games?! Nintendo just need a stripy jumper and a bag marked "Swag" :shock:
fwiw it does include two new-ish games, Space Invaders Extreme and Space Invaders vs Arkanoid. Just those two put together would probably run you more than £15.

I mean it's no bargain and it sucks that they left so much out, just saying it looks like a typical ripoff and not a super-ripoff...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Gigamax is also fairly recent and a port.
velo

Post by velo »

davyK wrote:i love vector games but I'm not feeling it with Centipede Recharged. The original was a raster game and its organic look and the trak ball control set it apart from the slide and shoot games that filled the arcade market at the time of its release. The spiders are reminiscent of Atari's Black Widow which is a colour vector game (and quite under rated) - maybe that's the intention.

Probably still a fun game though. The challenge mode adds longevity too.
Speak of the devil, Black Widow Recharged is also a thing: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/b ... ed-switch/
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The Black Window redux actually looks alright (at least it looks like Black Widow...)
MathU

Post by MathU »

So what's the verdict on this? Better than Apeiron? Or...
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

So what's the verdict on this?

I'm not going to be the one to sacrifice $10 on either to find out... I mean, it's by the same developer as Missile Command Recharged and:

I found Missile Command Recharged really boring, and I loved the original.

In the "another red flag" department, both games seem to be touting original soundtracks by Megan McDuffee like I'm supposed to know who she is, yet I don't. So I looked her up and... Well... She did the soundtrack to that River City Girls brawler that came out a couple years ago... and... well... lots short student films, and... well... lots and lots of generic stock music licensed to reality television shows....

Yeah, nobody knows who Megan McDuffee is.
velo

Post by velo »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: In the "another red flag" department, both games seem to be touting original soundtracks by Megan McDuffee like I'm supposed to know who she is, yet I don't. So I looked her up and... Well... She did the soundtrack to that River City Girls brawler that came out a couple years ago... and... well... lots short student films, and... well... lots and lots of generic stock music licensed to reality television shows....

Yeah, nobody knows who Megan McDuffee is.
RCG's soundtrack was the best part. I didn't recognize McDuffee's name but it seems like a fair enough selling point. Sounds nice in the trailers.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

To be fair, I never played RCG. But to be featured and touted after one game seems to be stretching a mite.
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

I tried Black Widow recharged and Centipede recharged for 5 minutes each and I don't like them much.

I'd rather buy an Arcade Archives version of these games... this would be more fun in my opinion.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Kind of what I figured... Thank you for taking the bullet!