Valfaris: Mecha Therion

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Valfaris: Mecha Therion

Post by Ghegs »

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/valfari ... tch-and-pc

The first Valfaris was a pretty good run 'n gun (and/or run 'n hack 'n slash) but the sequel turns out to be a shmup. I have some conflicting feelings about this since A) I was hoping for a similar sequel, but one with an "arcade mode" that had some of the fluff cut out and B) The sequel looks to be a character-shmup a la Section Z, Forgotten Worlds, Omega Five et al, which I tend to like quite a lot. However, neither the trailer nor any of the screenshots on the game's Steam page actually show the character aiming at any other direction than directly forward, so it might actually be "just" a regular shmup.

There's also a post from the game's developer about the genre shift here. He does mention liking Thunder Force, R-Type, Gradius, and Raiden so at least the foundation is there.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Loom1es

Re: Valfaris: Mecha Therion

Post by Loom1es »

Ghegs wrote:https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/valfari ... tch-and-pc

The first Valfaris was a pretty good run 'n gun (and/or run 'n hack 'n slash) but the sequel turns out to be a shmup. I have some conflicting feelings about this since A) I was hoping for a similar sequel, but one with an "arcade mode" that had some of the fluff cut out and B) The sequel looks to be a character-shmup a la Section Z, Forgotten Worlds, Omega Five et al, which I tend to like quite a lot. However, neither the trailer nor any of the screenshots on the game's Steam page actually show the character aiming at any other direction than directly forward, so it might actually be "just" a regular shmup.

There's also a post from the game's developer about the genre shift here. He does mention liking Thunder Force, R-Type, Gradius, and Raiden so at least the foundation is there.
I really like the artstyle of their games and this is no exception, Valfaris was a great game. From a gameplay point of view i like what i see, it kind of reminds me of Astebreed with the homing and melee attacks, hopefully the change in viewpoints wont be as offputting as those found in Astebreed. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Definitely getting a Sol Divide vibe from the trailer. Especially with the melee attacks. Looks great!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

The demo is out on Steam

https://t.co/0DCGkVsxi3
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

They're apparently looking for playtesters for a weeklong period starting next week, so if you want to submit your opinions and suggestions for this one you might want to look into that.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Probably wouldn't be bad for them to get some real dedicated STG players on board with feedback.-

I didn't dislike the original Valfaris, but it's about as euro as they get. It arguably gets away with it because it's not a particularly arcade-style game. There's zero doubt that a shooter sequel would be very much a euroshmup at heart, and most likely some of those aspects will be non-negotiable - It's definitely gonna have a huge upgradeable weapon selection, and it's gonna run for so long you're never gonna want to do a quick single-session run of the whole game.
So at the very least, it could hopefully be a good euroshmup, if such a thing exists.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

I just hope the soundtrack isn't the same power chords palm muted over and over. Some actual drama in the music wouldn't hurt.