Collecting some PS2 Shmups!!!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Collecting some PS2 Shmups!!!

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Hi all!!! I finally bougt a Japanese PS2 (Silver slim). I own several PS1 imports, so just know, I'm not asking about those...I'm talking about Japanese PS2 imports here...I currently own and enjoy ESPGaluda, ThunderForce 6(always been a T-Force fan since II Sega Genesis) as well as Mushimemisama(Bug Princess)...Also Dia o jou (Dodonpachi 3?) Psyvariar could be cool, but I was too impressed with it... I want to get some with "impact". Considering...probably will buy GigaWing Generations. (much love for the first two Dreamcast) Any recommendations? Let me know! Ibara...I do love Battle Garrega( Saturn) but, this one is a BIT pricey!!! What about the "Taitos Best" collections?
Herr Schatten

Re: Collecting some PS2 Shmups!!!

Post by Herr Schatten »

Hi Twitch. Off the top of my head:

Shikigami no Shiro II is a splendid game you should definitely check out.
Homura is quirky, but good.
Trizeal doesn't look like much, but is good fun.

If you're into competitive shmupping, there's Twinkle Star Sprites ~La petite princesse~.

Based on the game, I would also strongly recommend Radirgy, but I seem to remember that the PS2 version is supposed to have some issues. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

I wouldn't put down the money Ibara is going for these days unless you're a really huge Garegga fan. The PS2 exclusive arrange mode is tremendous fun, though.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Great to hear from you Herr Shat...its been a LONG time indeed! Thanks for the reply! Hope all is well, keep rocking, and shmuppin!!!

Oh yes...Castle Shikigami 2 is great. I own the USA PS2 release, as well as the Japanese import for XBOX!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Giga Wing Generations is a good game, but the PS2 port is very shoddy; lousy framerate and no tate mode.

I will second Homura though, Europe got that one but the US never did.

The Taito Memories collections are a pretty comprehensive grouping of the company's arcade output; the first two volumes (slightly remixed/expanded) were localized as Taito Legends, but Japan got two more that we never did, though some of the stuff on them could be described as "scraping the barrel", heh.

The Fantasy Zone Complete Collection is also pretty well regarded if you're a fan of that series.

Out on the periphery there's the Star Soldier remake and Shienryu Explosion; not considered essentials by most, but look up some footage and see how they strike you.

I haven't played Radirgy PreciouS, but I recall that it's supposed to have some pretty bad slowdown. In any event, if you have a Wii you can just pick up the "Ultimate Shooting Collection" instead.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

XII Stag is still reasonably affordable on ps2. Might not be for everyone so if you are unsure, it goes cheap during steam sales under the name XIIZeal.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sadly, I'd second the sentiment to stay clear of Giga Wing Generations. It's a mess on the PS2, and not worth the $150 or so it goes for these days.

XII Stag is a solid exclusive and can be had for something in the sub-$40 range if you're just looking to play the game. It also supports the PS2's 480p mode (along with the less-loved Trigger Excelica) if you hold down X and TRIANGLE on boot.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

It's already been said, but just to re-enforce it, Gigawing Generations is a really bad port and is REALLY not worth the money it goes for!

On a more positive note, Gradius V hasn't been mentioned yet, that's well worth taking a look at.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Silpheed: The Lost Planet is a lot of fun.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jonpachi wrote:XII Stag is a solid exclusive and can be had for something in the sub-$40 range if you're just looking to play the game. It also supports the PS2's 480p mode (along with the less-loved Trigger Excelica) if you hold down X and TRIANGLE on boot.
As does TFVI using the same X+Triangle on boot trick.

Echoing Homura, Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse (which includes the original TSS as an unlockable) and The Shooting: Double Shienryu (which includes the original Shienryu with 240p tate support). TSS: LPP had a budget reprint and TS:DS was released under the Simple 2000 Series label. Both should still be pretty affordable.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thanks for the replies...I own the Gradius games, as well as Silpheed TLP. In other words, PS2 US shmup releases I already own. Any thoughts on Castle Shikigami III (Wii)? Deeply considering it...does it TATE?
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Just call it doj :) ... congratulations you already have the best game imho.
(ddp 2 isn't really 2 and it's all a little odd seeing as we started with donpachi...)

doj, mushi and ibara = best ps2 vision on a shelf imho.

Honestly, it's obviously a little ridiculous getting ibara these days, assuming you've played it somehow. BUT ibara remains one of the most exclusive ps2 ports around if the collecting side is strong with you.

Psyvariar complete (for regular and revision versions of first game) are more ps2 are really interesting... but I just don't find them as impressive/appealing or therefore as engaging as 2...

The following are nice haves in the ps2 library, and perfectly serviceable, but none of them are essential to the ps2.

If you're into it double Shienryru (jp) (Steel Dragon Ex, Pal) is a real good get IF you like the original game and don't think of it as just a saturn (/ps1) release... I don't think anyone got it ever for the newer 3d game...

I would urge looking again at psyvariar 2; although it's more of a quintessential dreamcast game the ps2 port is great - and I'm a big fan of this game in terms of replay it, or even treating it a bit like a shmup roguelike - have a look at the superplays and get hunting the true last boss - something that I would argue is a cool accessible challenge even for those that aren't your typical 1cc types.

I like the strikers collection which I don't think came stateside (?), but I wouldn't say it was a great port... I am a lot more fond of the saturn versions and think of those as the original ports anyway. But I do like strikers 1945 I+II I don't think ps2 gunbird compilations were anything to write home about, not terribly fond of them but nice to have unless you again consider those as more of a (ps1) saturn/dreamcast game.

If you are playing these via other/somehow methods on a crt I like patching everything even tf6 :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61532
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Yes...I'm a huge fan of the Strikers series...own them both on Sega Saturn. How are the Taitos Best compilations on Japanese region PS2? I do see alot oh discontent with Gigawing Generations. I've watched some "Lets PLays"...it does seem cool to me, however...(?)
Also, very much interested in Sengoku collection? Its Sengoku Ace, as well as Blaede. Yea...I own Blaede on the Saturn as well, but I was thinking about getting it for PS2. Plus...it has "Ace". Its a vertical scroller that I enjoyed back in the "emulation days".
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

My best recommendations are Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced, Gradius V, Raiden III and Double Shienryu.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Gunbird 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 2: Sengoku Ace & Sengoku Blade. Pretty good RayForce port on Taito Memories II Jōkan compilation. Both are upscaled 480i (filtered), but otherwise fairly decent ports. More in this vein (480i, but hardly awful) would be ADK Damashii for the sake of Ninja Commando (Ninja Master's: Haō Ninpō Chō also remarkable, yet another genre). Twinkle Star Sprites port on it isn't great, but still kinda fun. I'd say ADK Damashii is a fairly enjoyable 2 player games collection. Speaking of which, not seemingly released in Japan for PS2, and not quite exclusively shmup, but SO 2 player - The Red Star*. Not yet rare/expensive really, at least in PAL, where it's fullscreen, full speed, if not 60 Hz. NTSC one is prog-scanned, mind.

*) Ported to PSP, where 2 player thing isn't quite the same, naturally, also, I'm under impression that, never officially released, first Xbox port is also available, somewhere out there. Like - never-released as well - Chelnov Saturn port, which is nonetheless a thing.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I've been thinking about this for a bit, and playing the PS2 and DC versions back to back for a goodly amount of hours this week, the PS2 version of Psyvariar 2 is what gets my ultimate* recommendation.

I'd say the best thing the DC has going for it is that it's the straight-up arcade port, and looks (and probably, though I can't verify, sounds) nicer than the PS2. It also has less loading times, whereas the PS2 port has a noticeable 10-15 second load in between levels (most keenly felt after selecting your ship). But there is only the base game and nothing else, aside from some glorified dipswitch options in the options menu.

The PS2 version however, trumps the game in features. Load times aside, the PS2 version of Psyvariar 2 has a richer options menu, allowing for more customization: enemy hitboxes, player buzz hitbox, boss healthbars - all of these are absent on the DC. The PS2 version likewise has a PRACTICE MODE, lord what an important thing. Not only can you practice stage sections (for the stages that are longer than like 30 seconds lol), but also go straight to the boss. Furthermore you can set your mech's level, exp guage, etc. So it becomes crucially useful to plot your course to the TLB.

In the DC version, the only way you could effectively practice was by credit-feeding, which would restart the stage at the level you entered it on. The PS2 does this as well, but practice mode is clearly the best and most efficient option. Load times again would hurt, of course, the utility is superior to that of pure credit-feed.

Finally and most importantly, the PS2 version gives you an auto-roll button. This probably is alone worth it over the DC version, and while it admittedly changes a lot of the routing you can do, I think ultimately, if you don't mind a modified game, it makes playing Psyvariar 2 much more fun. Rolling might make more sense on a sturdy arcade stick with a stiff spring and heavy neutral, but on a regular pad it is tiresome and imprecise. Making it a simple button means you can much more easily maximize your score and explore stage routing.

Granted this might not mean much for someone who already doesn't think much of the game (I freely admit Psyvariar 2 doesn't reach the heights of Revision, which is a masterpiece), but for those who discern and like the game, PS2 is the best way to play it, short of City Connection pulling off a miracle and making a Psyvariar 2 Lambda for modern consoles/pc's (a man can dream).

*ultimate final??
davyK

Post by davyK »

My PS2 J-imports are :

Castle Shikigami
Castle Shikigami 2
Espgaluda
DDP DOJ
Sega Ages Vol 3. Fantasy Zone (this is a different version to Fantasy Zone complete. Vol. 3 has the arcade version and a remixed version only. No console ports. It's lot cheaper).

All splendid ports and still not super expensive. Espgaluda and DOJ have bonus superplay DVDs.

I also have J-NTSC Gradius III+IV as it was butchered in PAL.

I have PAL copies of Raiden III, Homura, Dragon Blaze, Psyvariar (Medium Unit and Revision on 1 disc), Samurai Aces, Tengai and XII Stag - they all run at 60Hz with saves and TATE where appropriate so I don't need to import these. All are solid games and I'd recommend them all if importing the J-NTSC equivalent.

I have heard that Ibara and Mushi aren't great ports. They are very expensive too so I would approach with caution. I've heard that Radirgy S has a lot of unintended slowdown so I have stayed with Radirgy G on Gamecube.

Gunbird 1 & 2 came on 1 disc in PAL but my impression was they were ropey ports - I remember mid-level loading!! I play Gunbird 2 on Dreamcast.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you preordered the USA version of PS2 Gradius V through Gamestop back in the day, you were given the free Gradius V "Breakdown" dvd as a cool bonus/gift courtesy of Konami of America subsidiary themselves. I snagged two free copies of the Breakdown dvd just for asking. I wasn't expecting to get a Konami stg dvd freebie the day I picked up my reserved copy of Gradius V and was quite a pleasant surprise indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

the PS2 is a great console for shmups...

I recommend :

Raiden 3
R-Type Final
Gradius III & IV
Gradius 5
Thunder Force 6 (love this one)
Ibara (super expensive, not as sharp as the arcade ver. but still great and a FANTASTIC "Arrange version" )
Mushihimesama (one of my favs)
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
Espgaluda
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 2 (Sengoku Ace / Sengolu Blade)
Simple 2000: Shienryu (to be played in TATE mode, the best version of that great STV shmup)
XII Stag (old school and very nice)
Homura
Cho Aniki (developed by the folks of PSIKYO.. funny and actually pretty good !)
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Allright chaps,

this reminds me: I have a few PS2 Shmups and I never got around to actually getting a PS2 machine. House moves later and it is all still boxed away. I would love to play some of these Shmups. How difficult is it to get japanese games up and running? Is it easy to get them working on a standard PAL European machine? Would I pretty much have to source one from Japan?

I only played on a PS2 twice in my life and not for long, it's a total unknown to me. I bought Gradius 3&4 originally then a bit later 5.

Advice would be appreciated.
More Bromances = safer people
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The Psikyo STG Collections (vol 2 and 3 at least, if I recall), and Ibara can be patched for 240p. Highly recommended to look into this if you’re new to the system.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

MintyTheCat wrote:Allright chaps,

this reminds me: I have a few PS2 Shmups and I never got around to actually getting a PS2 machine. House moves later and it is all still boxed away. I would love to play some of these Shmups. How difficult is it to get japanese games up and running? Is it easy to get them working on a standard PAL European machine? Would I pretty much have to source one from Japan?

I only played on a PS2 twice in my life and not for long, it's a total unknown to me. I bought Gradius 3&4 originally then a bit later 5.

I use a PS2 slim, swap magic discs and a flip top cover. Makes it real easy to boot up imports. There's probably other/better ways, but that's what was hot at the time I was looking into it.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Thanks for the replies...I own the Gradius games, as well as Silpheed TLP. In other words, PS2 US shmup releases I already own. Any thoughts on Castle Shikigami III (Wii)? Deeply considering it...does it TATE?
Pretty sure it does. Great game, too.
(And utterly hilarious stories)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

brokenhalo wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:Allright chaps,

I use a PS2 slim, swap magic discs and a flip top cover. Makes it real easy to boot up imports. There's probably other/better ways, but that's what was hot at the time I was looking into it.
Thanks for the advice, I will look into some ways to make it possible. If that method works then I can always rely on it. I was thinking of buying a slim PS2. Are these PS2 machine reliable? I literally witnessed a PS3 die on a mate of mine in-person.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I have a fat PAL PS2, a PAL slim PS2 and a JP sliver slim. All seem fine. Have had the PAL machines for years. The slims seem to run warmer than the fat.

By the way - the reason I got a PS2 - Gradius V and RType FInal - are great games. The PAL versions run at 60Hz so you don't have to import if you have a PAL machine.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

MintyTheCat wrote: Are these PS2 machine reliable? I literally witnessed a PS3 die on a mate of mine in-person.
The early fat models of the PS2 were known to be somewhat fragile, though later models seem more reliable, while the slim seems to be quite reliable. As with any 20-year-old piece of hardware, it's probably in your best interest to spend a little more and get a boxed, clean and/or restored unit.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I will look into what I can find. I do fancy a Slim version though aesthetics wise.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Psyvariar Complete (esp. Revision) is one of the best shmups ever made.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

MintyTheCat wrote:Thanks for the advice, chaps. I will look into what I can find. I do fancy a Slim version though aesthetics wise.
if you go for a slim, try and get a SCPH-700xx model and NOT a SCPH-7500x. The SCPH-700xx has better compatibility with PS1 (and some PS2) games while the 7500 is worse. I think the 700 model was the last revision to have the PS1 hardware on board while the later ones used software emulation?
RadiantAnsel

Post by RadiantAnsel »

Bear78 wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:Thanks for the advice, chaps. I will look into what I can find. I do fancy a Slim version though aesthetics wise.
if you go for a slim, try and get a SCPH-700xx model and NOT a SCPH-7500x. The SCPH-700xx has better compatibility with PS1 (and some PS2) games while the 7500 is worse. I think the 700 model was the last revision to have the PS1 hardware on board while the later ones used software emulation?
Kinda wrong, every 7000 has the PS1 chips still onto them, 9000 series are the ones that don't have all that stuff, I'm not sure but this could also hit some PS2 games that use the extra PS1 chips on their side for stuff, I always recall the port of Space Harrier (the collection one) because it uses it, not a bad system if you get it cheap, but I always try to stick with fat 3000 consoles especially because...
>They have HDD support (Which literally kills the need for a DVD Drive)
>They have firewire (crucial when attempting to replicate Time Crisis arcade style with LAN mode)
>They seem to have the biggest compatibility in general

5000 fats are also incredible but they lose the Firewire which I tend to use frequently for said lightgun game setups.
No fails are allowed.