Differences between all the Raiden II rom versions?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Yakkers

Differences between all the Raiden II rom versions?

Post by Yakkers »

I have an ebay Raiden II board, I'm finally getting around to routing the game so I went to get it set up on MAME for stage and boss practice but noticed the enemy layout was all different from mine. I tried a few other versions and it turns out my board is the "easier" kind, like raiden2eua. I see there's also set 1 and set 2 for a handful of regions as well.

I did some hunting for a list of the differences between these versions but couldn't find anything, is anything like that out there? I'm wondering where these "easier" versions came from and if there are any differences other than the enemy layouts. None of the variances I noticed really seemed particularly easier, just... different. I'm a little bummed my board is a non-standard version from the main one all the leaderboards and published runs use, but if I've got the board already I might as well learn it.
Rastan78

Re: Differences between all the Raiden II rom versions?

Post by Rastan78 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13545

Here's an old discussion that touches on some of the different Raiden II boards out there. Not an exhaustive list, but better than nothing I guess. What's really weird are the budget priced "New" versions of Seibu PCBs that came out years after the original games. They almost seem like bootlegs but were apparently official Seibu boards.
Yakkers

Re: Differences between all the Raiden II rom versions?

Post by Yakkers »

Rastan78 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13545

Here's an old discussion that touches on some of the different Raiden II boards out there. Not an exhaustive list, but better than nothing I guess. What's really weird are the budget priced "New" versions of Seibu PCBs that came out years after the original games. They almost seem like bootlegs but were apparently official Seibu boards.
Ah I guess I missed that thread, thanks. I think I searched "Raiden II" but not "Raiden 2" so it didn't come up for me.

So at least according to that one post in there it looks like this alternate version with tanks on stage 1 is actually older? Weird, I wonder if it's a rare PCB.