Dariusburst - Chronicle Saviours vs Another Chronicle EX+

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
repoman

Dariusburst - Chronicle Saviours vs Another Chronicle EX+

Post by repoman »

Hi Shmups Forum

I played quite a bit of Chronicle Saviours but I struggled to really understand the best strategies to progress in terms of picking and upgrading ships. I got stuck somewhere in the main mode and didn't know how to get further and eventually gave up on it.

Another Chronicle EX+ is out now and I'm wondering if anyone can summarise what the differences between the two games are. I kind of get the difference in modes, but are there any main gameplay elements that make a difference too?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Re: Dariusburst - Chronicle Saviours vs Another Chronicle EX

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Everything from ACEX+ is included in Chronicle Saviours except event mode, which is just a bunch of new course. You can also play as the Murakumo which you could previously only select in CS mode. No DLC ships in ACEX+
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm honestly wondering what the point of AC EX+ is, especially on PS4, which already has CS. It's even from the same developer, rather than M2.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

The main reason I still play DB:CS on PS5, PS4, PC and Vita is for the insane DLC content. Yes, the main game + DLC is pricey and I'm sure there's some licensing hoops involved, but this new release isn't really compelling so far.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I've thought about buying this since I never picked up CS, not sure too many are in my position though.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

This post from the Cozmic Collection thread may be helpful:
ACSeraph wrote:There still seems to be a little confusion surrounding ACEX+ and what content is included, so let me clear something up:

ACEX+ does not include Chronicle Saviors mode or any of the bonus (DLC) content associated with it.

Chronicle Saviors is really a separate game from ACEX that reuses a lot of the same assets and happens to include a bare bones port of ACEX.

Cozmic Revelation's ACEX+ is specifically an upgraded port of the arcade game. It includes AC mode, EX mode, and Chronicle Mode. Chronicle Mode is NOT the same as Chronicle Saviors mode, despite the confusing naming. ACEX Chronicle mode is a mission mode that was featured in the original arcade release.

The "plus" portion of ACEX+ refers to the new features in Revelation, namely a new-ish ship available in all modes (Murakumo), Event Mode, and body sonic rumble support. Event mode features a series of special courses that were originally playable in arcades for a limited time circa 2012-2013. New to ACEX+ are a series of all-new EX events. I haven't played through many of these yet, but about half of them are actually boss training simulators for the hardest fights in the game. It's a way to practice things like GTV and Dreadful Whip. For me this is a huge feature and a big selling point of the new port.

But again to reiterate, these new features come at the expense of the extremely content heavy CS mode, so you cannot call ACEX+ the definitive version. If you were only going to get one version of ACEX, I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD). Whether CS mode could eventually be patched in is anyone's guess, but I would wager the answer is no, and I think it is best to judge the port on what is currently being offered here and now.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

What a silly thread. That quoted post is also silly. The Chronicle naming is not "confusing", Chronicle Saviors was explicitly modeled after Chronicle Mode. If you've played both, this would be immediately apparent.

EX+ is a version of AC that adds the Murakumo ship from CS. It also attempts to add a bunch of new Events, special to this version, including things like a boss rush. Originally, Event Mode was time-limited stuff that would appear every now and then on AC cabinets.

Now, CS doesn't really play as much like AC as people think it does, and is really not that great aside from the new things you have to spend an eternity to get to like Gigantic Bite. Chronicle Mode in AC isn't that great either, so... EX+ was kinda necessary. It is more or less the best version of the game right now.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

EX+ doesn't have a PC version with the ability to use two monitors, has the same menus from CS, and has less content than CS. Most of the stuff in EX+ could have been added as DLC.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Anyone have an idea or opinion on if EX+ will ever come to PC?

After selling my PS4, I've held off buying Dariusburst AC on PC for the past year. I thought EX+ would be coming soon...but still no sign.

I loved playing Dariusburst, but I've little interest in Chronicle Saviors mode to be honest.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Gaiaresis1

Post by Gaiaresis1 »

I'm confident that AC EX+ doesn't see a PC release, it's pointless. Like someone else said it should've been a DLC for CS. CS is on sale right now on steam for 17.50, just get that, and some of the DLC, a much better deal than the $40 ripoff they would want for AC EX+. I bought the revelations collection and boy do I regret not buying G-Darius by itself instead.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Honestly, the two screen (Or ultrawide) support on PC is better than anything ACEX+ has offer.

I kinda wished ACEX+ would have been a DLC for Chronicle Saviours, but I think the the problem here is that it's published by Degica, who mostly just care about anime RPG games at this point. I had a little spark of hope at the end of last year as there was a little activity with a score competition on CS, but at this point it looks kinda grim.

The PC games essentially loads the arcade game when you select AC mode so the files are exactly same as on arcade, so unless they did something odd and new for ACEX+, I really doubt inserting the files there would be impossible for the developers. This would most likely just drop the ghost score functionality, which is kinda... Poor in my opinion as you can only select world top 1 or your own best score the last time I checked.

Honestly, thinking of it, I don't think it would be impossible to do a hack for CS to load the ACEX+ content.

EDIT:

So I went and tested it. It quite didn't work but...

https://i.imgur.com/mtWgspS.png

https://i.imgur.com/YprsMI2.png

Sadly however, this is pretty much everything you get with a simple file swap, aside from slightly different font. A changed title and translated loading cards. No extra ship in selection or ability to select event mode (Even the graphic doesn't change) or such, these things are probably baked in the executable. I'm sure someone might be crafty enough to change the executable, if that is even possible. I'm not sure if the ending texts are changed.

Oh, if you want to do this yourself, CS won't boot if you change the sound files. Probably doesn't find CS menu sounds in the ACEX+ sound file. Everything else seemed to work. To get the english loading cards to work, I just pasted everything from en folder to jp folder.

I did jump a little when the game actually booted and showed me the ACEX+ title card however... :D
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What appropriate sized screen size would match the original arcade cabinet's twin LCD screen parameters of Dariusburst if using an LCD-based screen projector setup to display the Switch port of DBAC EX+?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I believe it uses two 32" monitors. Viewable area on a 32 inch screen at 16:9 is 15.69 in H x 27.89 in W. So keep that height and double the width and you should be in the ballpark.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Is there any way to get the DLC for CS without paying for it (is it unlock able in game?) or does it ever go on sale? From what I can tell in the PS Store, it would be about $40 to get the 3, 3-packs they are offering, which is crazy expensive.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

XtraSmiley wrote:Is there any way to get the DLC for CS without paying for it (is it unlock able in game?) or does it ever go on sale? From what I can tell in the PS Store, it would be about $40 to get the 3, 3-packs they are offering, which is crazy expensive.
Extra ship DLC isn't unlockable, but it does often go on sale. I haven't bit on any of them since the main game already offers plenty of content (and the AC EX port is the best part of the game).