Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bear78

Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation

Post by Bear78 »

I didn't see a thread for this but Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation is coming to Switch from City Connection including a physical release.

https://city-connection.co.jp/exciteng/en/
velo

Re: Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation

Post by velo »

It's funny, I was just playing this and thinking it's a shame that there's no chance it would ever come back in a million years. Sounds like as full-featured a release as you could hope for.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Shit...if they are doing Kaze NES releases like this one...they should be doing their Pinball game series on SF and Saturn.
bebop78

Post by bebop78 »

Shipping to UK is 21000 yen on Amazon jp
Any ideas where to pre order with cheaper shipping ?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

bebop78 wrote:Shipping to UK is 21000 yen on Amazon jp
Any ideas where to pre order with cheaper shipping ?
Wow, what's up with that shipping? Same to Canada. Did they mark the regular edition's shipping weight as being the same as the LE?

It doesn't look like it's available in any stores other than Amazon and Ebten right now. You might actually get a better deal by using a proxy service like From Japan or Buyee instead of buying straight from Amazon.
Domino wrote:Shit...if they are doing Kaze NES releases like this one...they should be doing their Pinball game series on SF and Saturn.
BeXide did an iOS version of Last Gladiators ages ago but it's been delisted for years. :/ Guess that's the nature of the app store, but sucks that's the only rerelease it's gotten.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

21,000 yen is a placeholder shipping price, which can be found on many items. I think they put it down like this, when they simple don't have any information available from the publisher. Unfortunately sometimes it doesn't ever change until the actual release.

I'm sure Play-Asia will put it up for order soon and they have free shipping on all orders for another week.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Ms. Tea wrote: It doesn't look like it's available in any stores other than Amazon and Ebten right now. You might actually get a better deal by using a proxy service like From Japan or Buyee instead of buying straight from Amazon.
You can get it directly from City Connection though Clarice Shop using Buyee but I have no idea what that shipping cost would be either...

https://clariceshop.com/

Hoping either Amazon fixes their price or Play-Asia puts it up for sale.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I ordered through Clarice Disc, since they have the Buyee service kinda built in. I actually played Zombie Nation as a kid, when a buddy of mine rented it, and we toyed around with it one weekend. I thought it was fun, so I jumped at this when I saw the announcement. Very cool that an obtuse game like this is getting a modern treatment.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Amazon Japan updated the shipping to the US on the standard version to the correct price. Looks like the special edition is still wrong.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B099HM ... DZH536E2V8

Got my order in.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

could have the potential to be the shmup of the year
Reticulan

Post by Reticulan »

I used to consider this game kinda in kusoge territory, but over the years I have come to appreciate its art design more (not enough to buy a $400 jacket about it, tho). Still wish it played a little tighter. Nevertheless, the art style is very effective for me, so I just placed an order through Buyee--for the first time. Seems like a good service, although I would have been more skeptical if MetalFRO hadn't been first to say he was using it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I just got an email of a Strictly Limited batch being made, which makes me ask: is there going to be a digital release planned as well?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Yeah, the English Steam page is already up: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1603 ... ie_Nation/

Pretty sure the digital Switch version will be international too.

Something I didn’t see mentioned: preorders of the Japanese Switch special edition are going to include a download code for a prototype version of Abarenbo Tengu. I don’t know much about what its contents will be.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Here's the SLG page for it: https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/ab ... ie-nation/

I went a head and canceled my Amazon Japan order and will get this one. I know it will take a lot longer but I'm ok with that. Not like I don't have plenty of other games to play :P
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This game kinda sucks tho.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
velo

Post by velo »

Ms. Tea wrote:Yeah, the English Steam page is already up: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1603 ... ie_Nation/

Pretty sure the digital Switch version will be international too.

Something I didn’t see mentioned: preorders of the Japanese Switch special edition are going to include a download code for a prototype version of Abarenbo Tengu. I don’t know much about what its contents will be.
That should be standard. Seems like a simple way to offset the fact that you'll be getting your Ultra Limited Hardcore Fan Physical Edition a year after the casuals download it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ms. Tea wrote:Yeah, the English Steam page is already up
Excellent, I don't mind then throwing a few bucks at some silly kusoge if I don't have to spend premium on it.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I had this pre-ordered on Amazon Japan and it shipped today. They charged me over 25,000 Yen for shipping!

BEWARE!!!

I have contacted customer service, and am waiting on a reply...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Holy shit! Sorry that happened to you.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Amazon Japan went from being good for imports to being one of the worst with their recent changes to shipping costs. Its a shame.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Jonpachi wrote:I had this pre-ordered on Amazon Japan and it shipped today. They charged me over 25,000 Yen for shipping!

BEWARE!!!

I have contacted customer service, and am waiting on a reply...
It's the handling that's the hidden cost. The guy who sits on the plane with it has to gently cradle it in his arms, rocking it back and forth and singing lullabies the whole way. It's like a 13 hour flight from Japan to North America, it's kind of a bargain when you really think about it.

(I hope they give you your money back, that fee is a back alley mugging)
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Jonpachi wrote:I had this pre-ordered on Amazon Japan and it shipped today. They charged me over 25,000 Yen for shipping!
Damn! We'd seen those high shipping charges before as a placeholder which was then adjusted to a standard rate once the product was actually in hand.
Id always worried and wondered what would happen if they actually charged a customer that astronomical rate.
Good luck.

Related and worth mentioning, I order a lot of CD music from Amazon JPN... My last few orders this year were packaged with absolutely no care, malicious disregard even.
7 CDs and a spindle of 50 CDRs we're tossed in a brown paper bag and shipped loose. All the CD jewel cases were pulverized by the 50 CD spindle jostling around during transit.
It took some digging to uncover their international return policy. I'd have to pay for registered return shipping and then if they deem my return justified then they will refund my shipping costs. I didn't bother.
In another order Blaster Master Zero trilogy was shipped loose so the papercraft sheet is creased and dinged up.

I've also recently had Amazon Japan ship a desktop stereo and some CDs with two pieces of crumpled paper as the only protection/padding. Those jewel cases arrived cracked but not smashed.
They used to be so good about sensible protection and packaging. No more it seems.
I can't help but think of the workers in the shipping warehouses, what pressure they're under, or absolutely don't give a damn.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

CAVE cardboard shipping prices. Must've shipped it in a pretty pricey box.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I stopped using Amazon for anything years back when I heard how shittily they treat their warehouse employees. Or how likely it is that you could get counterfeit products. Or a bunch of other BS.

https://youtu.be/lI5w2QwdYik
velo

Post by velo »

Now available on Steam, Nintendo eShop, probably wherever else it's coming. Another funny moment to reflect on what makes it to the US eShop day one and what's JP-only.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

This is honestly one of the biggest WHAT THE FUCK releases I've ever seen. The game is pretty bad, and also really short and it's almost unfathomable that this game of all things would get this sort of "special edition" treatment.

Zombie Nation also has the absolute worst way I've ever seen of increasing difficulty, by making your "ship" harder to control on the hard setting. That has got to be some of the worst game design I've ever seen. Also It would have greatly helped to actually implement a full final stage and a final boss that didn't just sit there and do nothing.

That said...I still kind of like the game but since I've already got the NES cart I prob won't be buying this.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

velo wrote:Now available on Steam, Nintendo eShop, probably wherever else it's coming. Another funny moment to reflect on what makes it to the US eShop day one and what's JP-only.
You mean you DON'T want Abarenbo Tengu instead of Esprade and Aleste Collection?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Japanese version arrived today, and it's a hell of a package.

The outer box has a gold foil covering, and inside is an art book, an alternate cover, the soundtrack, and download code for a "Prototype" version.

Side note: Amazon Japan also did a good job of packing it up safely, and they also refunded me the absurd shipping cost.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

Anyone with both the Famicom/NES original and this rerelease able to shed some light on how good the collection is? Just curious considering the apparent quality of Deathsmiles I.II this week. Is there a high quality scanlines filter at least?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

EmperorIng wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:Yeah, the English Steam page is already up
Excellent, I don't mind then throwing a few bucks at some silly kusoge if I don't have to spend premium on it.
update: I played this for 10 minutes and discovered how truly awful it was

l m a o
m
a
o