Fair chaining systems

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
christianbelchior

Fair chaining systems

Post by christianbelchior »

Well, there are a lot of games with chain-based scoring, though most of these games reset your whole multiplier when you break your chain, meaning you're likely to restart a lot when scoring. There are games which are exceptions to this though-- and that's what this topic is about.
7V'WGوv–7†G–wvو–ِF”ض¶6WfV†GG†w
MathU

Re: Fair chaining systems

Post by MathU »

Chaos Field's chaining system always struck me as very fair. Yes, your whole multiplier gets reset if you break the chain, but it provides a whole bunch of tools to rescue your chain in an emergency. You have to make quite a few mistakes in a row to lose your chain. The focus of high-level scoring becomes largely how best to utilize your chaining with target priority and destruction timing rather than frantic scrambling to keep the chain itself going.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Dodonpachi 2 - Bee Storm.

I think this game should get more praise. It's not as bad as some people said it was.
christianbelchior

Post by christianbelchior »

Shatterhand wrote:Dodonpachi 2 - Bee Storm.

I think this game should get more praise. It's not as bad as some people said it was.
You're right, Shatterhand. It deserves praise for the fair chaining and the ability to switch options in later revisions, also the ability to change the laser looks. Haven't tested if the appearance of the laser affects the shot.
7V'WGوv–7†G–wvو–ِF”ض¶6WfV†GG†w