Anyone know where this Darius art comes from?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

Anyone know where this Darius art comes from?

Post by bcass »

I've had this piece of Darius art on my PC for over ten years and have absolutely no idea where it comes from. Does anyone know? Various reverse image searches yield nothing.

pablumatic

Re: Anyone know where this Darius art comes from?

Post by pablumatic »

Tineye reverse image search got a hit, but probably not the origin of the image.

The URL provided (http://sugumiru.2chblog.jp/archives/51780440.html) no longer works, but you can see the HTML of it via archive.org.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100926093 ... 80440.html

The page was just a long list of images. The image itself may have originated from an artist posting anonymously to 2channel/2ch.net given the URL in question.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Excellent sleuthing pablumatic! 8)

I highly suspect that ACSeraph or Rastan78 might know.
Likely others too.

Based on the date of 2013 I would hazard to guess the art may be from Dariusburst but no clue which version.

GT from some version of Dariusburst

Thank you for sharing that bcass!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Without knowing anything about the provenance, I feel certain that this is a piece of fan-art based on the encounter with Great Thing in Darius Gaiden's Zone Z'. The battle takes place above a cityscape not too dissimilar from the one in the image, and "SELF" is the name of the BGM for the final stages/bosses. Also, the colouration on G.T. and the configuration of its head-cannons and whatnot are roughly the same as in Gaiden.

It's a nice interpretation of the scene, and captures the melancholy grandeur of the big bastard quite well.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

No clue, but just here's an eery rendition of "Self" done Famicom style.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2103191

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Little bit late on the reply here, sorry I haven't been on the forum as much these past two weeks.

This is the first I've seen that piece of art (quite cool I must say). Just based on the style, background, and "self" I'm inclined to agree with klatrymadon that it's probably a piece of Gaiden fanart.

We should really make a Darius fanart thread at some point...
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>