Best mode in Mushihimesama (Switch/Steam)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Best/Fav mode in Mushihimesama HD (Switch/Steam)

Normal (Original)
23%
Normal (Maniac)
20%
Normal (Ultra)
11%
Arrange
16%
ver. 1.5 (Original)
23%
ver. 1.5 (Maniac)
2%
ver. 1.5 (Ultra)
No votes
Novice (Original)
2%
Novice (Maniac)
No votes
Novice (Ultra)
2%

Total votes: 44

SPM

Best mode in Mushihimesama (Switch/Steam)

Post by SPM »

With the recent Mushi drop on Switch, and having never played it before aside from a couple of credits on MAME, I was wondering what the best mode is... Is there a consensus? Or what's your personal favourite? You may select 2 options, for those who can't make up their mind

Also, if novice-ultra isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is :lol:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Herr Schatten

Re: Best mode in Mushihimesama (Switch/Steam)

Post by Herr Schatten »

What was the difference between normal and 1.5 again?

Voted Normal Original, because that's the one I'm most familiar with.

I was pretty surprised to learn in the other thread that the PS2 version is supposed to have a bad reputation. Since when is that a thing? I haven't played it in a while, but I always found it perfectly serviceable.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

I'm not all that acquainted with all the modes yet, but I like starting with a p-shooter so I've been playing mostly normal and novice.

I don't really like the sound track for arrange.

Question: What do the two different auto-fire buttons do? The only difference I can find is one fires your turret guns and the other doesn't. What's the purpose in that?
Last edited by jedinat on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'd start with normal original, then move onto maniac. They are classic.
1.5 is awesome but I wouldn't mess with it until you exhaust the normal arcade modes.

Ultra is only for a very small player base, if you are that skilled go for it.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

jedinat wrote:Question: What do the two different auto-fire buttons do? The only difference I can find is one fires your turret guns and the other doesn't. What's the purpose in that?
If memory serves the second one actually fires shots at a different frequency than the first, and is used for "counter banking", a weird, unintuitive (IMO) scoring technique on Maniac and Ultra which I'm frankly not terribly qualified to explain in detail, I know it was covered on here in the past someplace.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

You're missing an option: 1.5 Original Max. It has a unique mechanic where the multiplier affects the bullet speed (it powers up at 10k and 50k).
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

My vote would be for Normal Original.

1.5 Normal Original is pretty fun too.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I'm not sure yet what gameplay changes are introduced in 1.5 aside from scoring... (although I know I like MAX's intensity and prefer this option over the "basic" shot because I dislike the way the formation gets close together by moving backwards)

So far my 3 go-to's are:
- normal-original (which gives me what I originally wanted from Dragon Blaze: Psikyo's speed with dodgeable bullet hell. I can't dodge anything in DB with that hitbox haha)
- arrange (which seems like a maniac mode, but I haven't really played the other maniacs, so who knows...).
- novice-ultra (for an approachable bullet hell! Normal-ultra is something else I won't touch for some time)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Mushimesama is one of my fav Cave shmups (2nd only to... Mushi Futari).

Normal Original all the way to me. I've played a few of the other modes, but Normal Original ending up being the one I always ending up play when I give it a quick go anytime.

Also didn't know PS2 version had a bad reputation? I now own it on Steam, so I usually play it there now (Got it as a birthday gitt from a friend :D), but I've played so much of the PS2 version, never had any problems with it. Unlike, say Ibara or Gigawing Generatons which are really .. troublesome to say the least.