Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by To Far Away Times »

That thing seems almost purpose built to be used once (if that) and shoved in a closet.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

Gotta say i'm surprised by the negativity here considering the ridiculous amount of money you people talk about spending on ancient, rotting, dusty shmup junk....
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

WeedyRainfall wrote:Gotta say i'm surprised by the negativity here considering the ridiculous amount of money you people talk about spending on ancient, rotting, dusty shmup junk....
Naw man, PCB boxes are cool but kitchy arcade cab stands are crossing the line don't you know? For Cave-specific stuff: Windia's Dark Urine = OK, Mushi fake cab = lame. Obviously.

Anyway, don't get the thing if you don't want it? Can just get a standard cart if you want a physical version. I'm kinda hopeful they'll do a Mushi vinyl OST, seeing as how they've already released Saidaioujou (on my record player now) and Ketsui is coming soon. Would have preferred Mushi cart + vinyl to be the deluxe set, but I'd be fine just buying a record on its own!

LRG seems to gets a bit of a bad rap, probably in large part due to some lingering resentment since they used to be pretty obnoxious with ordering windows only up for minutes before getting snatched by scalpers. But they've pretty much fixed that, it has been years now that they've done almost all of their releases as an open pre-order for several weeks. Not hard to buy their games if you order in the generous window. You don't have to buy the sometimes dumb special/limited/collector edition versions. Yes, it'll take a few months to get them, it does take time for a small publisher to get small runs of carts/discs manufactured. But they're very reliable at getting the stuff out eventually, and I've also found their shipping within the USA to be very reliable. Can't speak for those having to do international orders though.

Honestly, I have had bigger problems with Simply Limited Games since I'm in the US and had a really bad experience with their shipping from Europe. Darius Cozmic Collection SE got lost in transit due to the garbage logistics company they used, and I never received it. To SLG's credit, after months of delay and a bit of back and forth with them, their support did come through and they sent me out a new copy. So credit to them for the good customer service, but that doesn't mean I'm not nervous about ordering other stuff from them. To be fair, out of their control to some extent since they don't control the shipping company, but also within their control to use more reliable shipping partners. I did get their Space Invaders and Bubble Bobble releases without much issue though, so could be a somewhat isolated incident (though I've seen others complain about excessive delays too).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

hamfighterx wrote:Naw man, PCB boxes are cool but kitchy arcade cab stands are crossing the line don't you know? For Cave-specific stuff: Windia's Dark Urine = OK, Mushi fake cab = lame. Obviously.
It was Casper's urine. At least get your deep shmups lore right. ;)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Also pretty sure everyone agreed the urine thing was awful.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Nice there's a physical release of Mushi. I play it on Steam but I'd like one for my collection. Just a pity it's limited-run as they are painfully slow. I'm still waiting on my Darius cartridge from them.

At least I have it playable on Steam while I wait. No more tat please. Special editions should come with soundtracks, strategy guide or concept art instead of that.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Kiken wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:Naw man, PCB boxes are cool but kitchy arcade cab stands are crossing the line don't you know? For Cave-specific stuff: Windia's Dark Urine = OK, Mushi fake cab = lame. Obviously.
It was Casper's urine. At least get your deep shmups lore right. ;)
Kiken old friend, I am sad to report that I was correct and you are not - it's Windia's. [link1] [link2]. Casper merch in that second link appears to be some kind of cake, I really don't need to know any more details.

This honestly reflects much better on you than it does on me. I'm a little sad that knowledge of whose piss was Cave merch is taking up space in my brain.

And yeah, most everyone here thinks that was dumb too, but I couldn't help but mention that one to show that a mini arcade cab stand is far from the silliest shmup-related trinket around. There's plenty of other crap in LE type sets and related merch that doesn't get dragged here, so the complaints seem a little disingenuous and more targeted at just trashing LRG for no particularly good reason. The fake cab even has some legitimate use (more than some postcards or pins that are probably gonna sit in a box); it really isn't that fundamentally different than when I set my Switch in TATE mode on its little plastic Hori stand. I'm not gonna play Mushi with a joycon crammed in there like that, but IDK, it's sorta cute to set it on a table in front of you and play with a better controller.
Last edited by hamfighterx on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Truly the questions that need answering around here.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

LOL I feel bad about myself.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

How is the scaling in docked on Mushihime on Switch? Are there options for sharp shimmerfree, preferably integer scaling?

There is no plan for a PS4 release, right? I don't care much for the Switch but I'll get this physically if no other versions are planned :)
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Konsolkongen wrote: There is no plan for a PS4 release, right? I don't care much for the Switch but I'll get this physically if no other versions are planned :)
Nothing that I've seen announced. Here's Live Wire's response that I saw: https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 55266?s=20
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Hrm...
I remember struggling a *lot* more with ESPGaluda 2 as a kid. I still can't clear this fucking game, but I have a generally breezy time until stage 5 now.
BAD

Mushihimesama (Switch) Exclusive Content?

Post by BAD »

Apologies if this has already been discussed in a previous post (perhaps I missed it), but does Mushihimesama on Switch have anything that is absolutely NOT in any previously-released version? I am considering getting the LRG version, but do not want to buy it if it's exactly like any of the previous releases (in regards to modes/difficulties). I saw it has an "Ultra" mode. Can anyone confirm if this is in any previous version in the exact same form? Is it in that Degica PC version? I know some of you guys have a keen eye, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

*Bonus points to anyone who can also tell me if either of the other two games (DDPR, EGII) have any exclusive modes or anything for Switch.
badcp.info
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I don't believe anything is exclusive in switch ports.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah, none of the Switch releases contain anything that did not exist in the original 360/PC versions thus far, and I don't really expect that to change for future releases.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

oh...
I just learned how to *actually* score in this game.

oh.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm appreciating this game a lot. It's like a double hyper but not really. There's a lot of flexibility in scoring for this game. Now that I have a genuinely full understanding on how this game works, it's a lot more standout than I already initially thought. But somehow easier to understand than most similar offerings. Much more application driven than knowing a ton of underlying systems and even the multipliers aren't complicated. Slows the game to a crawl, but it's satisfying especially getting an extend before the first boss. I feel like one of the beautiful people.

Though there's a bit of a muscle memory battle for me having two different kinds of hyper to activate. I sometimes flub it the thick of it and tap rather than hold.
MrOldSchoolCool

Post by MrOldSchoolCool »

If that arcade cab thing for Mushi is optional to buy, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as something like the Ikaruga physical release that forced you to buy it with the extra stuff for $60 (and is now $175 on eBay and therefore no longer an option to buy)

A game that I never thought would come to the Switch, Mushihimesama, received a good port and now there's a standalone physical release. I have a hard time not being really happy.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hey guys, I rarely dip my toes out of the hardware section, but has anyone put together a guide on Cave shmup availability? Home releases are all over the place across what, 4 console generations?

I was considering putting together something just for myself on what platforms their games are available on to start collecting, with recommendations between PSX and Saturn ports, whether it's available physically, if it's region locked, stuff like that... Does it already exist or would people here find it useful?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Serious ports really start with PS2.

DoDonPachi got a Saturn and PS1 port. These ports are the subject of much conversation. Neither are accurate for expert players wanting the arcade experience but for casuals they are fine. But given the price they are for collectors only. They also got DonPachi but I haven't heard good things about it. I think it's better on PS1 but not sure.

PS2 got DDP DOJ and Espgaluda (both good) and Ibara and Mushihimesama (both not so good)

360 got the lot (except for DoPachi, DDP, Ibara and Espgaluda) + it got a compilation pack called the Cave Shooting Collection. 360 gets complicated when it comes to regions though. The Collection is JP only.

Futari, Espgaluda, Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork , DDP SDOJ got physical region free releases. Some special editions are JP only.

DFK got a PAL physical release (works on US but not JP consoles) It is missing the BL Arrange mode though.
Deathsmiles got a PAL physical release (not sure if that works on other consoles)
Akai Katana got a PAL physical release (ditto)

Guwange is digital only in all regions - even in the Compilation - there's a DLC code for downloading it.

PS3 got Ketsui (JP)

I'm a bit fuzzy about this gen - I'm sure this is not complete:-

Switch has got Esp.Ra.De (JP digital and physical?), Espgaluda 2 (digital), Mushihimesama (digital with physical on way) with DFK (digital) on the way

PS4 got Esp.Ra.De, Ketsui, Dangun Feveron

Bone got Dangun Feveron

EDIT: this link probably best guide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_(company)#Console_games
Last edited by davyK on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

davyK wrote:Deathsmiles got a PAL physical release (not sure if that works on other consoles)
Akai Katana got a PAL physical release (ditto)
DS and Akai Katana had physical releases in all major regions and they are all region locked.

davyK wrote: I'm a bit fuzzy about this gen - I'm sure this is not complete:-

Switch has got Esp.Ra.De (JP digital and physical?), Espgaluda 2 (digital), Mushihimesama (digital with physical on way) with DFK (digital) on the way

PS4 got Esp.Ra.De, Ketsui, Dangun Feveron

Bone got Dangun Feveron
Progear No Arashi is also available via the Capcom Arcade Stadium Volume 3.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Forgot about Progear. :)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Deathsmiles I & II (digital/physical) are also on their way for Switch/PS4/PC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I went full-on OCD with it and made a big Google Doc compiling as much info I could find. Not quite done with a few later titles, and made it I guess really just for myself, but maybe someone will find it useful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... R6nTRS/pub

Didn't include mobile versions; lemme know if you happen to look and see anything egregiously wrong...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Has anyone else experienced desyncing issues with the replays in Mushi? Every single Normal Maniac run that I've recorded always desyncs at the stage 2 boss... there's also some weird glitch during saving where the score is incorrectly displayed. Hell, when viewing one of the replays it completely crashed the game when I lost my first life.

I've not had any issues like this with ESPGaluda II (all the replays I've recorded play back correctly).
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

bobrocks95 wrote:I went full-on OCD with it and made a big Google Doc compiling as much info I could find. Not quite done with a few later titles, and made it I guess really just for myself, but maybe someone will find it useful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... R6nTRS/pub

Didn't include mobile versions; lemme know if you happen to look and see anything egregiously wrong...
Should note that Ketsui Death Label on DS isn't the full game, just a boss rush game.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
lrem

Post by lrem »

A cheap port of the Ketsui Death Label would be neat.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Are you pausing the game at all, Kiken? The Switch port seems to be based on the Steam one, which would desync recordings if they were interrupted with pauses (at least for me - I'm sure they desynced for other reasons too, since the problem was very prevalent). Might be worth a look - I did manage to record a run once I'd sussed this out...
davyK

Post by davyK »

Can anyone confirm that the physical release of Mushi for Switch will run on my UK console?

Limited Run seem to be a US company (I mistook them for strictly limited games!) and just want to be sure in case it need a US account.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No Switch games are region locked.