Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bigbadboaz

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by bigbadboaz »

defected78 wrote:Cmon. If you are in denial that this is poor workmanship than they are fully enabled to carry on in this fashion.

Whats gonna happen with deathsmiles. Perhaps no sound in a mode or a fatal crash bug but hey thanks livewire.
Cmon. Poor workmanship is not false advertising.

Wait for the next patch and stop blowing things out of proportion.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Despatche wrote:None of these are mediocre by any reasonable definition, but it's no wonder that Sony's Japan side might appear to be excess baggage when people talk about great games as if they're disposable... like game developers themselves do.
As a huge Vita fan I tried so hard to like Soul Sacrifice. I liked the idea of making the Vita itself come across as a character with the book guy, but overall the game was just Monster Hunter without the hunting; it was Monster Room. With a superficial veneer of souls-like styling in the lore without any of the atmosphere, discovery or mystery in the game. It required so much repetitive grinding I just couldn't stick with it. It was really the beginning of Keiji Inafune's "this emperor really appears to have an empty wardrobe" phase.

White Knight Chronicles was one of Level 5's biggest misses. It carries a 64% on Metacritic and was sadly the textbook definition of mediocrity. I was so hopeful for it as the PS3 was bereft of jrpgs for its first couple of years, and something giving you a giant fantasy mech to stomp around in by rights should have been cool AF. Thankfully Valkyria Chronicles came along around the same time and was able to carry the banner.

Tokyo Jungle has its fans, was more original than either of those two and fared better as a game. From a design standpoint you can certainly make the case there was enough originality & inspiration there to escape the mediocrity label. So maybe 'Good but not great'?

Puppeteer was almost a fantastic spiritual successor to Dynamite Headdy. It had such incredible presentation, which its core gameplay physics and platforming design couldn't quite deliver on. But I also recognize that this is the exact type of thing where if it had come out on the Dreamcast people would have been talking about how charming and wonderful and creative it was forever.

I think what I was going for with the "well intentioned mediocrity" line was stuff which didn't rise above the general gaming din and was by & large soon forgotten.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Played a couple of credits of Mushi on Switch last night for the first time since the recent patch and the audio is a complete mess now! The shot impact sound is WAAAAAY too loud! It's like they recorded tossing a box-load of crickets into a tumble-dryer. The pitcher plants on stage 5 now give off this wet-fart in an old boot sound when they die.. it's really awful. All of this audio was correct before the recent patch.

Also, a little bit more on the replay desyncing... it has something to do with when certain enemies are phase transitioning. The initial desync point for me is always the stage 2 boss final pattern. The replay will run perfectly until this point then a load of inputs get misinterpreted (I don't think it's dropping inputs, but rather reading them incorrectly). Now, the most recent run I recorded last night did desync at the final stage 2 boss pattern, but by some miracle, Reco survived (despite being well inside the left bullet curtain). The stage concluded and score tabulation went fine. Stage 3 began and the replay seemed to be back on track... until it got to the right wing. After two milking sequences as the screen started to move further upward another desync occurred and that was it. Reco mostly spent her time in the lower-right corner of the screen and things ended before the left wing became active.
WeedyRainfall

Post by WeedyRainfall »

The stage 5 pitcher plants sound like my switch is broken.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I think what I was going for with the "well intentioned mediocrity" line was stuff which didn't rise above the general gaming din and was by & large soon forgotten.
I really do not like Keiji Inafune, but I also recognize that he doesn't really develop games, "designer" credit be damned. I've never seen Soul Sacrifice as an Inafune game, and I never saw Mighty No.9 as one either; there's no sense in that. One of the greatest crimes in gaming is that Soul Sacrifice has never been ported to anything, despite all the odds. Your description of it just sounds like someone trying to describe God Eater. Now, if you just say the same about God Eater, that'd at least be consistent, but...

White Knight Chronicles is legitimately one of Level-5's best games. It also did fairly well against the bizarre state the game industry's been in for about a decade and a half now, so at the very least people liked the damn thing. Metacritic is a faulty concept, and no number produced by that hell algorithm should ever be taken seriously. When Eurogamer gives a game an 8 and IGN gives that same game a fucking 5, the only thing that's proof of is how dumb "professional" reviewers are and how little respect they deserve. Westerners have this colossally bad understanding of what a "JRPG" is supposed to be, to the point that they do very strange things like... directly compare White Knight Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles to each other? Please don't tell me you're doing that because they both have "Chronicles" in their localizated names...

"Good but not great" is a dirty phrase. The truth is that you have to accept either that basically every "good but not great" game is actually a potential GOAT, or that there are so few potential GOATs that it's not really worth getting fussy over the concept. The end result is the same. The important thing is that you recognize that calling something like Tokyo Jungle "mediocre" is very strange.

Your description of Puppeteer tells me that you recognize the problem, but deny it.

Good elements and bad elements do not cancel each other out, but instead point towards a work that is far removed from this "mediocrity" concept. People are also often wrong about what is even good or bad. Success is purely due to chance, and the quality of a given work has absolutely no bearing on whether people actually care about it. "mediocrity" barely exists, if it does at all.

Imagine a timeline where DOJ was completely rejected and CAVE as a shooting game developer disappeared overnight. The only difference between that timeline and ours is the alignment of the stars. I wish more people would understand this, because it's so damned important to understanding at least part of what in the hell is going on with the game industry.
Last edited by Despatche on Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
jehu

Post by jehu »

Anyone placing bets on what the next LiveWire release will be?

It seems like they've been using X360 as a base, so I'd figure it would be something already released there.

DOJ wasn't handled great on X360, Deathsmiles is City Connection, Futari is still perhaps M2 hallowed-ground, SDOJ and Akai Katana are (maybe) too tied to Exa for the time being - so I think we might see Guwange, Pork, or Sweets.

Is my logic sound? Am I a dolt? Show your cards, my friends.

P.S. I don't want to jump into the side-convo except to say that hearing someone call Puppeteer mediocre makes me sad. But we've just seen a fundamental challenge to the concept of mediocrity as such, so maybe you'all're operating on planes of abstraction too distant from me - who finds a modest kind of joy in digital puppet shows.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I thought Tokyo Jungle was tedious as hell. The definition of mediocre.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
CRP

Post by CRP »

jehu wrote: DOJ wasn't handled great on X360, Deathsmiles is City Connection, Futari is still perhaps M2 hallowed-ground, SDOJ and Akai Katana are (maybe) too tied to Exa for the time being - so I think we might see Guwange, Pork, or Sweets.
DoDonPachi was also on x360, would be nice if the could release it without Instant Brain
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

jehu wrote:DOJ wasn't handled great on X360, Deathsmiles is City Connection, Futari is still perhaps M2 hallowed-ground, SDOJ and Akai Katana are (maybe) too tied to Exa for the time being - so I think we might see Guwange, Pork, or Sweets.

Is my logic sound? Am I a dolt? Show your cards, my friends.
It would make sense for them not to go right back to the well with games from the series they've just released. Let them have a bit of a run without internal competition. Guwange would be awesome to see and distinct from what they've put out so far.

Pink Sweets is a sequel to Ibara, so it might make sense to release that first.

Muchi Muchi Pork is a game that hasn't been really popular in the past, but on the other hand that was before THICC became a widespread social phenomenon so who knows.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MMP definitely has a lot more fans than Pink Sweets :)
defected78

Post by defected78 »

They should fix the 3 broken releases first before dismantling dev teams to move onto next release.

Fart noises in mushi stage 3 and 5.

Arrange soundtrack gone and earpiercing sounds in esp2.

DDP crash bug on name entry and scoring issue.

No one plays the games when they are like this.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Ibara would be neat. Guwange would probably just be a straight port of the 360 version, and we can't have that.
jehu wrote:DOJ wasn't handled great on X360
The drama was silly, but the actual port was largely fine other than WL, and that was before the patch (that's been out for an eternity).
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

DOJ (and Ketsui) 360 was not a Cave game, unlike the ones Livewire are publishing. I don't see it coming from these people, which just seem to be reusing and adapting the code they themselves wrote for Cave when they were there. Futari is the next obvious choice, but I don't see an actual reason why Akai Katana Shin and SDOJ can't be coming soon as well if Exarcadia's market is entirely different and will get their exclusive, made-in-house content/versions.

Ibara deserves the M2 treatment, anyhow, and they supposedly kind of announced it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Did they? I feel like M2 Ibara is pretty much a given, but I don't recall any talk about it.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Hmm, just checked and seems they actually didn't. I guess I got confused with Batrider, for being eagerly anticipated as well.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Actually Ibara was totally confirmed by M2.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68308
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:Actually Ibara was totally confirmed by M2.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68308
Damn, I'd forgotten. Still hyped for those guest ships!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I know it's been a while since the announcement, but I trust M2. Let them take their sweet time so Black Black Label turns out just right.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I thought that was an early april fools :?
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Everyone did! Just like SOL CRESTA :cool:
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm of the opinion that it shall happen. Until I remember that the minis are still much more profitable for them.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:Everyone did! Just like SOL CRESTA :cool:
Oh it's real. It's a Yagawa triple pack. Ibara Black Black Label, Battle Blackraid, and Armed Police Blackrider will all be on there.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Rastan78 wrote:
BIL wrote:Everyone did! Just like SOL CRESTA :cool:
Oh it's real. It's a Yagawa triple pack. Ibara Black Black Label, Battle Blackraid, and Armed Police Blackrider will all be on there.
Be still my beating heart! You big tease.
CRP

Post by CRP »

I figure the only releases we will see on shottriggers in foreseeable future is Toaplan.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:Ibara Black Black Label, Battle Blackraid, and Armed Police Blackrider
Image :lol:
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Patch please
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

defected78 wrote:Patch please
Yes, we, the Shmups forum, are definitely the ones responsible for a patch. We'll get right on that.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

defected78 wrote:Patch please
https://youtu.be/1bMs04JK0BQ
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

defected78 wrote:This is misrepresentation of a product being sold as advertised.

Its advertised with an arranged soundtrack but doesnt have one.

This is against trading regulations.
Dude, come on. A patch going wrong is a world away from deliberate deception, as you surely must know.
Despatche wrote:Maybe I should just constantly despise game developers like most people on the internet, but I just can't.
I've worked in games for nearly 20 years, and across two different disciplines. In both, myself and my peers were largely hated by our audience, or at least by the vocal few we heard from most frequently. And it's fucking exhausting.
SPM

Post by SPM »

New patches for Mushi and Espgaluda II.

https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 5PNBg&s=19
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah